Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John

Fantasy Doom, a DooM RPG?

Well, I was thinking why not a doom RPG? the doom engine can odviously do out door areas pretty well and with Zdoom's ACS scripting... who knows?
Your thoughts?

John, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

oh yeah, no doubt... I was just pondering the idea right now... nothing written out or anything.. besides I cant do ACS for shit =(

The best way to learn ACS (well, the basics at least) would be to look at the scripts the Hexen maps use. ZDoom's scripting is based on and an expanded version of Hexen's scripts.

It has already been done, well, sort of.

LilWhiteMouse once made "A Furry Tale". An RPG'ish experience using Zdoom. It even included money and shops. Unfortunately the project seems to be discontinued.

There is a working beta-version, but it is not obtainable anywhere.

Interesting... :P

Well what about *dramatic music* an rpg that was more like Diablo.. like you know what I mean? a big ol' dungeon crawl.. hehe
*shrugs*

Well, Hexen already has an RPG version (the Korax mod) but of course that required a lot of source editing.

But values like speed could be gradually increased (SetActorProperty), dunno about max health though. And GooberMan's conversation system would certainly come in handy.

Little Faith said:

It has already been done, well, sort of.

LilWhiteMouse once made "A Furry Tale". An RPG'ish experience using Zdoom. It even included money and shops. Unfortunately the project seems to be discontinued.

There is a working beta-version, but it is not obtainable anywhere.

Maybe I can talk to LMW about letting me host it on my site. :)

John said:

Interesting... :P

Well what about *dramatic music* an rpg that was more like Diablo.. like you know what I mean? a big ol' dungeon crawl.. hehe
*shrugs*

hrm...i would prefer something more like a rogue-like thing if i wanted to go ina dungeon...maybe implement some SLIGE type of deal into ZDooM (all of the rogue-likes i have played have random map generation...i think random floor generation is a requirement, correct me if i am wrong though)?

no way i would be of any help...other than low-end system playtesting...

I was already working on a Doom RPG. I'd post screenshots but my site went down and I don't know what's still alive. Let me check.

I think this is about all I have:

Those are placeholders and stuff. We won't be using any of the normal Doom monsters unless they're DeHacked. It's going to be (assuming we ever work on it again) a medieval style RPG.

Torn, before you start telling people what they should do when asking for help on their new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure they are actually asking for help on such a project first and not simply making some kind of suggestion/comment on a new project they'd like to see. Keep in mind we've already seen this tag used thousands of times in completely inappropriate places.