Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycgamer

Where would you rank DOOM in your list of shooters?

Would you say it's your best shooter or do you have others that you think are better? List all of your console shooters from your favorite to least favorite and any shooters that you’re planning to get later. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore shooting game fan, so I’m interested to see how DOOM ranks for other 1st and 3rd person shooting gamers.

Versus both 1st and 3rd person shooters eh?

Doom & Doom2 are my favorite FPS, no question. Coming in second place? I change my mind on that often enough that I'm never really sure. The Quake series comes to mind.

Best shooter on console? I'm not much of a console player, but Contra comes to mind, as does Raiden.

Edit: Some good 3rd person shooters I know of for PC include Raptor, Tapan Kaikki, Soldat, and Crimsonland.

1. Doom/Doom2
2. System Shock 2
3. Half-Life
4. Enemy Territory
5. BF1942
6. SOF2
7. AVP2

For gameplay and replay value doom is number 1, half life second, avp third (due to nosave) But overall it's second after system shock.
3: system shock 2
4: Thief
5: Aliens vs Predator
::These 5 are the only games I really liked from the beginning till the end
6: Unreal
7: American McGee's Alice
8: MDK 2
9: Avp 2 (exception ::)
10: Half life
11: Max Payne (would be higher on my list if it was shorter )
12:Return to Castle Wolfenstein
13: Deus ex (idem)
14: Serious Sam technical demo ( not ss1 and certainly not ss2 in my top 97 )
Edit:
Shit, how could I forget: Clive Barker Undying on place 12 (rtcw 13 and so on)11

Right at the top, of course. (like pretty much everyone else round here)

After that, it would be the Serpent Rider games, Duke, the Quake games, Half-Life, Unreal and Sin. (in no particular order)

heh there are lots of fps games I like better than doom, deus ex, halflife, thief/2, q3 (do gta3/vc count as shooters? cuz those are prolly my fav games ever) are all fun, and I've played through the stock maps of them more than I have doom or doom2, personally I think the stock doom/2 maps are pretty boring and uninteresting nowadays and it's very rare for me to play them, though I play user maps but a lot of times I find those sort of boring too and unless the gameplay is drasticly different it's unlikey I'll ever play it again

but if you want a for instance I've played the batman tc at least 4 times, russel's doom raider map I play like once a month and LWM's Chosen I've played a few times as well.

still, doom's in the top 5 I suppose, or the top 10 at least :P

Same here, except replace Quake 2 with Blood or Shadow Warrior, and switch Doom and Hexen around.

Doom Doom2 Heretic Hexen Quake Quake II Hexen II

And that's it for now.

1. doom
2. deus ex
3. american mcgee's alice
4. half-life
5. blood
6. wolf 3d
7. heretic
8. hexen
9. quake

i'd list a 10 but those are the only ones i know of that are worth residence on my hard drive.
(well ok, doom2 can stay but only for pwads)

The topic is:
Where would you rank DOOM in your list of shooters?

Relatively speaking, nowhere.

Where would I rank doom? Well, not in the top ten for sure. Why? Because when it boils right down to it, doom was great at the time, but games are getting better. The main reason I stick around here is because of some of the GREAT work done with the source ports and mods. I can't play Vanilla Doom or Doom 2 for more than 5 levels because I get bored.

I'm biased towards Star Trek: Elite Forces II at the moment, because I just completed it, and I found it to be very damned good. Massmouth 2 for Zdoom is good at the moment also. My top ten though?

10: Unreal Tournament 2003
9: Unreal Tournament
8: Quake 2
7: Quake 3
6: Half-Life
5: Max Payne
4: Mafia
3: Metroid Prime
2: American McGees Alice
1: BattleField 1942 (And Desert Combat)

At the top. I'm not saying it because I'm posting this on a Doom forum. I simply feel that there's no other game out there that can compare to Doom and Doom II.

If I see anyone put Counter-Strike as the top shooter, I'm gonna scream and mutilate that user.

atm doom/doom2 wouldn't be close to top five. in fact it weirds me out that people still have top five lists like doom heretic hexen quake rott, seriously what the fuck it's not like the fps genre peaked in 1995.

edit: and counterstrike is great fun, if you disagree it's not the game's fault

well what's happened since '95? new games don't have anything original and aren't better design-wise, they just have prettier graphics and more detailed maps. with the exceptions of alice, deus ex, and (to some degree) half-life, it's been a pretty stagnant genre for the last 6 or 7 years. when doom came out i thought first person shooters would be awesome 10 years in the future, but they sure aren't for the most part.

you can play it in first person mode as well. the main reason i liked it was because it was well designed. the puzzles and places were interesting, the atmosphere very good, the story was fucked up, and it was just overall very original.

Liam the Bard said:

atm doom/doom2 wouldn't be close to top five. in fact it weirds me out that people still have top five lists like doom heretic hexen quake rott, seriously what the fuck it's not like the fps genre peaked in 1995.

edit: and counterstrike is great fun, if you disagree it's not the game's fault

I put it so high cause it has an excellent weapon balance and they're satisfying too cause doom let you fight ennemies in masses so they need to be powerfull. But maybe doom is not comparable to most games. It has factor 100 in it's possible permutations due to the ennemies. It's closer to chess while most games are closer to paintball. Don't get me wrong it's not a thinking game but those permutations gives it something unique.
I don't play doom for nostalagia reasons . And when I play a real good game like Deus Ex, after a (in this case) long while I see software and I don't want that. And Alice
sargebaldy:

the main reason i liked it was because it was well designed.

Well first there is and there will be DooM nothing else
2. Half-Life
3. Quake III
4. Counter-Strike
5. Unreal II
6. Unreal Tournament
7. Strife and the rest

Alice was excellent. I'm replaying it at the moment, It's not that much of a platformer, it does have elements of it, but it's just a Third Person shooter, with great atmosphere, great artwork, great levels, great sounds/music and one fucked up vision of wonderland, It is an original game, quite clever in it's execution.

I'm inclined to agree with Liam as well, Jeezus people, catch up. Doom was good but it's not and never will be the greatest game ever, It's levels were crudely simple and so were the puzzles. Games have gotten better, new elements have come into play, Levels are looking more and more like what they are supposed to look like, or in the case of fantasy style levels looking more and more beleivable, Cinematic sequences can be done ingame with some stunning results, something that was deemed impossible back in 1995. Cutscenes used to be done in CGI or Live action, now you can use the game, much better IMO. New elements like a simple RPG system, stealth areas, complex puzzles and unique gameplay styles like Max Paynes bullet time and Jedi Knight's sword fighting, Also you've got Deus Ex's speech system and multiple endings. Sure you have and always will have generic garbage that throws every element together and labelled a game in the hope it will sell millions, but it's increasingly obvious that a great game needs to have everything work together to achieve a goal. You can not rely on gameplay/graphics alone. Alice may not seem original to you people, but the fact that everything did work together makes the game a classic. An Underrated classic, but still a classic. This is the very reason why Doom 3 will quite ironically, probably not be liked here.