Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatrixmaN

Man...

That plasmagun and BFG look so out of place in the Alpha...but it's still funny watching a zombie get gibbed by archaic technology.

I think I´ve heard the old Quake3 plasmagun and BFG are available in the leaked alpha as placeholder models... It´s not even worth discussing this topic.

BBG said:

Um, what "archaic" technology?

ar·cha·ic Pronunciation Key (är-kk) also ar·cha·i·cal (--kl)
adj.
also Archaic Of, relating to, or characteristic of a much earlier, often more primitive period, especially one that develops into a classical stage of civilization: an archaic bronze statuette; Archaic Greece.
No longer current or applicable; antiquated: archaic laws. See Synonyms at old.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of words and language that were once in regular use but are now relatively rare and suggestive of an earlier style or period.

From dictionary.com

aca said:

ar·cha·ic Pronunciation Key (är-kk) also ar·cha·i·cal (--kl)
adj.
also Archaic Of, relating to, or characteristic of a much earlier, often more primitive period, especially one that develops into a classical stage of civilization: an archaic bronze statuette; Archaic Greece.
No longer current or applicable; antiquated: archaic laws. See Synonyms at old.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of words and language that were once in regular use but are now relatively rare and suggestive of an earlier style or period.

From dictionary.com

I know what the hell it means, but it doesn't apply to Doom's weapons, because they're not old and outdated, they're futuristic.

BBG said:

I know what the hell it means, but it doesn't apply to Doom's weapons, because they're not old and outdated, they're futuristic.

Shotgun? Futuristic?

BBG said:

The shotgun doesn't gib the zombies though.

No, but you said "Doom weapons", not "monster-gibbing Doom weapons".

Anyway, you don't know if the Doom 3 shotgun isn't futuristic. Just because it's based on an old concept doesn't mean the technology behind the gun itself is old :-P

Fredrik said:

Yeah, the Doom 3 shotgun looks futuristic to me.

Well, not only the apperance, but the way it fires, what it fires, how it handles ammo, the gauge, what the BBs in the buckshot are made of, etc.

Fredrik said:

Shotgun? Futuristic?

Yes why not... or do you prefer the futuristic weaponry concept of the Star Trek EF or Jedi Knight games, where every gun has to be some sort of non-hitscan energy projectile weapon?

Tetzlaff said:

Yes why not... or do you prefer the futuristic weaponry concept of the Star Trek EF or Jedi Knight games, where every gun has to be some sort of non-hitscan energy projectile weapon?

Not necessarily, but there is nothing about a shotgun that makes it futuristic, regardless of whether it will be around tomorrow, since it exists today. Period.

Fredrik said:

Not necessarily, but there is nothing about a shotgun that makes it futuristic, regardless of whether it will be around tomorrow, since it exists today. Period.

I would say that it depends on how you look on the word 'futuristic'.

I'm not going to contest what you said though, because I can't be bothered and because there's no point in arguing on nitpickiness. So I'll just return to BBG's comment that started the argument and say that Doom 3's weapons are not archaic, but technologically based that are either modern weapons with a futuristic-looking design to them, possibly a few with a futuristic sort of functionality to them (that rocket launcher sure as Hell doesn't work like a modern weapon - a modern rl requires reloading after every single shot and then there's the backblast and the lack of it in the D3 RL) or straight futuristic energy weapons.

Happy?
If 'no', what must I do to satisfy you and get you to change the subject to something a little less annoying?

MatrixmaN said:

That plasmagun and BFG look so out of place in the Alpha...but it's still funny watching a zombie get gibbed by archaic technology.

O_o

For once, I have a really valid argument with Fredrik, though it really is a matter of semantics more than anything.

You see, the concept of a shotgun is quite ancient. In fact, it was one of the first types of "guns" - smoothbore cannons firing "grapeshot".

But a particular shotgun, in and of itself, can be quite futuristic. How about one that uses electronic ignition, or to take it even further, how about an electroflechette rail-driver? Surely, it is a shotgun if it fires "shot", even though it hardly fits into the currently accepted definition of a "shotgun". And yet it's quite futuristic. We have the technology for it now, but it's not really practically applicable.

All that said, I don't really think Doom 3's shotgun is that futuristic in any manner but appearance.

auxois said:

But a particular shotgun, in and of itself, can be quite futuristic.

Of course. As can a firewood :D

Tetzlaff said:

or do you prefer the futuristic weaponry concept of the Star Trek EF or Jedi Knight games, where every gun has to be some sort of non-hitscan energy projectile weapon?

Clearly you've never even played EF 2...