Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wambs

multiplayer pc to pc using XP?

OK..Im anewbie, so bear with me..my question is this..I have 2 laptops P4's running XP. I can run Ultimate Doom single player, but we want to hook up PC to PC and run mutlipayer deathmatch. On my older PC I ran a Null Modem Cable. I dont have that "Port"? anymore, but i did recently run a game called Serious Sam over a Cross Cable PC to PC.

Can I do this with Doom and how? IPX, TCP? options and how to set up if them..
If not, what does anyone recommend pc to pc..

i know there is probbaly a simple explanation..Im just too simple minded to figure one out.

Thanks for anyones help here..

also I want a very large multilevel deathmatch (with monsters and dificulty settings) any suggestions?

Wambs

If you want to use it on XP, you need a different engine. The original dooms only work on the IPX protocol which is no longer being used. Here is a list of modern engines, im not sure if ALL of them can use TCP/IP protocol, but most do.

Gherkin,

Thanks for your reply..still...understand my limited knowledge..when you say "new engine"?? I followed the link and are these choices of downloads I would send to my Doom file..what would this replace? Once I download a new "engine", what options do I choose on the Doom initial menu and do I use the cross cable?

Once again thanks and bear with my lack of knowledge..

Wambs

For example, you take Doom Legacy and unzip/install it to a new folder (something like C:\Doom\Legacy\, keep the path names short and no spaces otherwise it might give problems) Then you copy your WAD file from your original doom to this folder too (this is doom2.wad from Doom2 or doom.wad from (Ultimate) Doom).

What you have to do to get connected depends on the engine you choose. Legacy has options in its menu to connect peer-to-peer, but other engines require you to launch it with commands. Just read its readme/documentation, im sure its described in there.

I dont know how to initiate a cross-cable connection, I believe windows has drivers/programs for that (does Windows XP still support that?)

for example:
You could download Zdoom. follow the install instructions (patch your Iwad to 1.9 if not already, put it in your zdoom directory, etc..)
then if you have tcp/ip installed on both computers, you should be able to launch a multiplayer game from both ends, specifying the ip address(etc) of both in the batchfile.
sure to work if you have network connectivity between both machines.
read the documentation that comes with the source port for exactly what parameters to use when launching the game.
good luck.

I know someone who I'm pretty sure had IPX working under Win XP Professional Edition, but I can't get IPX working under Home Edition on my roommates' computers even though I added the protocol just the same.

It might not be the problem of getting IPX to work, that probably WILL work on XP. But it may be XP preventing an MSDOS application from using the IPX protocol.

I solved a case where you have to login to BOTH machines with the same user profile for XP to allow IPX to work.

Opulent said:

I solved a case where you have to login to BOTH machines with the same user profile for XP to allow IPX to work.

(millenium = = 98)like (xp == 2000)
Xp shares the same kernel as 2k but it's built-in administrator is like that office paperclip for human administrators.