Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

dalai lama = ?

If I'm not mistaken, the Dalai Lama is currently visiting the US trying to gain support for his 'non-violent' struggle against the Chinese rule in Tibet.

But what are we to make of this historical character? Is he truly the holy 14th reincarnation of Buddha? Or is he just an opportunistic ex-dictator sucking up to anyone who might be able to help him? And if he has such good intentions with Tibet, why did he oppress his people when he was still in command?

I've been reading about the guy the last few days, and I don't know what to make him. Although I respect his efforts in pacifism, I resent everything else he stands for...

ah, find your own links!
:-)

To start with I have these...

short biography:1

2You can skip the part above the firts italic line.

3visits to other countries

It seems to me the Dalai Lama (now and in his past lifes) treaded his people like crap. It wasn't untill after his position was threatend by the communists that he radically changed his views on human rights and non-violence in an effort to gain support from the west...

dalai lama is a sore point
dalai lama is hollywood
dalai lama is pro marxist
dalai lama is intent on devoting more
dalai lama is een tibetaanse khomeiny'
dalai lama is 67
dalai lama is not a rock star
dalai lama is teaching publicly in india an effort is made to provide a simultaneous translation into english
dalai lama is a mongolian title meaning "ocean of wisdom" and the dalai lamas are manifestations of the bodhisattva of compassion
dalai lama is een tibetaanse khomeiny
dalai lama is banned from un summit
dalai lama is a sore point for un
dalai lama is a huckster and a fraud
dalai lama is focusing on finding
dalai lama is expected to address nearly 10
dalai lama is zowel religieus als politiek leider van het tibetaanse volk
dalai lama is besieged with requests for his time by everyone from new york times reporters and
dalai lama is seeking separation
dalai lama is chosen
dalai lama is the highest religious leader of tibetan buddhism and
dalai lama is something of a paradox to western eyes
dalai lama is seeking an independent tibet
dalai lama is being received "in his capacity as a respected religious figure"
dalai lama is someone who
dalai lama is regarded by tibetans as one of a succession of
dalai lama is a splittist and the greatest slave holder of all time
dalai lama is simple; have a true and honest heart
dalai lama is intent on devoting more energy towards promoting harmony among world religions by kenneth l
dalai lama is also regarded as an incarnation of chen
dalai lama is regarded as a welcome breath
dalai lama is the cudgel and bell used by the 14th dalai lama and thought by some of the faithful to have acquired some of his
dalai lama is scheduled to participate in an interfaith religious service at abravanel hall and to speak on buddhist spiritual principles at the huntsman
dalai lama is oppressing human rights
dalai lama is a manifestation of avalokitesvara
dalai lama is gone senile
dalai lama is a racist
dalai lama is one of the central figures of tibetan secular and religious life
dalai lama is a buddhist monk
dalai lama is not appointed or elected; he is born to the position
dalai lama is the spiritual and temporal leader of the tibetan
dalai lama is mongolian
dalai lama is in the united states for a 15
dalai lama is meeting political and religious leaders in northern ireland
dalai lama is not religious
dalai lama is the spiritual leader of tibetan buddhism
dalai lama is a charmer
dalai lama is being sought
dalai lama is the leader of tibetan buddhism
dalai lama is revered as the manifestation of avalokitesvara
dalai lama is only advocating self
dalai lama is often referred to as the "great fifth"
dalai lama is een tibetaanse khomeiny" aan
dalai lama is mischievous and has a good
dalai lama is making a teaching tour in the united states
dalai lama is a turmoil
dalai lama is one of the major living buddhas of the gelupa sect
dalai lama is the 14th dalai lama of the tibetan people
dalai lama is not appointed or elected
dalai lama is himself a practicing buddhist
dalai lama is the symbol of peace and compassion; perhaps the most recognized spiritual leader except for the pope himself
dalai lama is not vegetarian
dalai lama is very aware of the dangers of war
dalai lama is a story that began about one year ago
dalai lama is believed to be an incarnation of avalokitesvara
dalai lama is considered the incarnation of chenrezi
dalai lama is like the pope of buddhism
dalai lama is considered one of the finest depictions of this important historical figure
dalai lama is also scheduled to meet other senior officials from the republican administration
dalai lama is held to be the reincarnation of each of the previous thirteen dalai lamas of tibet
dalai lama is a living buddha
dalai lama is known worldwide for his compassion
dalai lama is also expected to ask for continued european support for his efforts to engage china's leaders in dialogue on tibet
dalai lama is
dalai lama is for you
dalai lama is supposed to be the president and pope rolled into one
dalai lama is a remarkable man and a versatile one
dalai lama is in conjunction with his presence in bloomington for the kalachakra initiation
dalai lama is held in the highest regard throughout the world
dalai lama is through richard gere or steven seagal
dalai lama is believed to be a reincarnation of the previous one
dalai lama is perhaps one of humankinds most beloved spokspersons
dalai lama is a very disciplined religious leader and he would not get involved in any political matters during his short stay in thailand
dalai lama is not merely a religious figure
dalai lama is "ocean of wisdom" buddhism
dalai lama is a nobel peace laureate and an internationally

m0l0t0v said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Dalai Lama is currently visiting the US trying to gain support for his 'non-violent' struggle against the Chinese rule in Tibet.

But what are we to make of this historical character? Is he truly the holy 14th reincarnation of Buddha? Or is he just an opportunistic ex-dictator sucking up to anyone who might be able to help him? And if he has such good intentions with Tibet, why did he oppress his people when he was still in command?

I've been reading about the guy the last few days, and I don't know what to make him. Although I respect his efforts in pacifism, I resent everything else he stands for...

Your facts are from 1942, just look at what the rest of the world was doing around that time.

fraggle said:

What else does he represent?

Llamas probably :-P

[edit]I can't believe this totally non-serious comment caused a bunch of totally serious responds - where the Hell is your sense of humour these days? Eaten by a giant fishie?[/edit]

dsm said:

What I mean is, although in a sense he is an "ex dictator", he certainly wasnt some brutal tyrant like you could claim of other dictators: infact, he's a monk. He's fighting for freedom for his country which is currently occupied by a foreign power.

btw, he is not the reincarnation "of Buddha", but of a Buddha. "Buddha" on its own usually refers to the Historial Buddha (Siddartha Gautama).

Lüt said:

dalai lama is scheduled to participate in an interfaith religious service at abravanel hall and to speak on buddhist spiritual principles at the huntsman

Cool, I didn't know he was stopping in Salt Lake.

dsm said:

I dunno. To me, the Dalai Lama is one of the few people in this world that I consider 'heroic'. I've never heard of any kind of opression under his rule before...dunno where that comes from. But anyway, Tibet was one of the most nonviolent nations in history before it was captured by China (BTW, the UN never actualy recognised the takover, or so I learned in school). Also, Buddhism is probably the only religion that I have any respect for.

Also, another interesting tidbit of Hymalayan interest right now is what is going on in Bhutan. For years the place was isolated from the rest of the world. I dont think it was even discovered by the outside world until sometime in the 20th century. Anyway, they recently got sattelite TV to the country and since then, crime has skyrocketed. Before, crime was almost nonexistant. Murder pretty much NEVER happened and other crimes were rare occuranced. But ever since they got satellite TV into the country, there have been murders, theft, assult, and suicides happeneing ata large rate. It's like Western culture killed the nation. :(

fraggle said:

What I mean is, although in a sense he is an "ex dictator", he certainly wasnt some brutal tyrant like you could claim of other dictators: infact, he's a monk. He's fighting for freedom for his country which is currently occupied by a foreign power.

Unfortunately, people automatically assume a dictator to be evil simply because he/she has absolute power. But it's not always the case.

insertwackynamehere said:

He's also anti-homosexual.

He's not to peaceful is he. :-/P

there is actually such a thing as a peaceful homophobe.

dsm said:

so you are saying he is pro-llama, better not catch him playing quake! i wonder if he is pro-spitting, llamas spit and they spit alot

the_Danarchist said:

I dunno. To me, the Dalai Lama is one of the few people in this world that I consider 'heroic'. I've never heard of any kind of opression under his rule before...dunno where that comes from. But anyway, Tibet was one of the most nonviolent nations in history before it was captured by China (BTW, the UN never actualy recognised the takover, or so I learned in school). Also, Buddhism is probably the only religion that I have any respect for.

Also, another interesting tidbit of Hymalayan interest right now is what is going on in Bhutan. For years the place was isolated from the rest of the world. I dont think it was even discovered by the outside world until sometime in the 20th century. Anyway, they recently got sattelite TV to the country and since then, crime has skyrocketed. Before, crime was almost nonexistant. Murder pretty much NEVER happened and other crimes were rare occuranced. But ever since they got satellite TV into the country, there have been murders, theft, assult, and suicides happeneing ata large rate. It's like Western culture killed the nation. :(

give a hungry pack of dogs meat and they will fight for it. chances are it skyrocket because of something that seems to be an issue for humans. i bet in their past they where violent and just like the rest of the world. then a few did something, weather peacful or violently, and then history was forgotten. if u forget history u are doomed. so when a outside culture come in the elements that remained hiden come out while everyone is distracted by the outsider

om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum
om mani padme hum

fodders:
Your facts are from 1942, just look at what the rest of the world was doing around that time.

That's like saying the British oppression in India or Franco's regime in Spain were excusable since there were worse things going on in the world at the time...

Anyway it's more like 1959 and not 1942 :-P

Danarchist:
For years the place was isolated from the rest of the world.

Because it was isolated for centuries the rulers could do what ever they wanted. Foreigners were kept out and racemix was restricted.
Tibet was still living in a feudal theocracy untill the Chinese came. Technological, social and humanitarian development was non-existent since that would only disrupt the 'pefect' spiritual life. The people were made to believe that human suffering was good and the only way to transcend. 'The shittier your life is now the better your next life will be.' Of course the Dalai Lama himself did not have to suffer! He (in this life and his previous ones) lived like a king, free to eat, drink and do whatever he pleased, while his followers were suffering and starving.

I'm not saying the Tibetans are being treated well now, but it is hard to imagine their situation is worse than 50 years ago...

m0l0t0v said:

That's like saying the British oppression in India or Franco's regime in Spain were excusable since there were worse things going on in the world at the time...

Anyway it's more like 1959 and not 1942 :-P

Well in your link to "The Dalai Lama, A portrait of lost Tibet", it states

...There are included here over a hundred photographs of the country from the years 1942 - 1943...The trip lasted from September of 1942 to the early summer of 1943.

Python_Junkie said:

Yeah, just like there's such a thing as a liberal conservative...

dislike and/or fear of homosexuals != violence. this seems fairly obvious.

EDIT: 500th goddamn post.

pregnant with worms said:

dislike and/or fear of homosexuals != violence. this seems fairly obvious.

Yeah. I love gay people AND I'm violent. So where does that put me?

Lüt said:

Lots of stuff

Dalai lama is not a camper
Dalai lama is not your ride in South America
Dalai lama is not a washed up Country singer
and...most importantly...
Dalai lama is not your mother

m0l0t0v said:

Is he truly the holy 14th reincarnation of Buddha?

It's all about what you believe