Reisal

Top 5 megawads

Personally, what is everyone's favorite megawads? Mine is:

1. Alien Vendetta
2. 2002: A Doom Odyssey
3. Hell Revealed
4. Scythe
5. Memento Mori II

Heh, one of those "once every couple of months topics".

Mine would be:

Memento Mori 2
2002 ADO
Memento Mori 1
Alien Vendetta
Requiem

A megawad that dissapointed me:

Icarus. Being from Team TNT and being hyped as one as the true classics, far superior to, say, Final Doom's Evilution.

Sure the first level relly blows your socks off and there are some other really sweet ones along the way, like Feeding Frenzy and Excavations, but then there are also a lot of levels that makes you go: "Is this really the fabled Team TNT?". Levels like Sickbay with it's bland entirely SHAWN textured walls and lack of height variations. Starhenge with it's almost total lack of gameplay and the great schizophrenic maltextured maze that is known as Asylum.

Icarus sure is a great big mixed bag and I am grateful I have IDCLEV to pick and choose the real morsels.

1. Plutonia
2. TNT Evilitoun
3. Alien Vendetta
4. uhh deadalus isnt a megawad but o well i liked it ^_^
5. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmmm a random TNT project :P

so :P they still replaced all 32 levels of doom2. You can run them as patches for doom2, seeings they dont use any port specific stuff, just a few custom textures.

Zell said:

so :P they still replaced all 32 levels of doom2. You can run them as patches for doom2, seeings they dont use any port specific stuff, just a few custom textures.

...and changed map names, something you can't do to a PWAD without DeHackEd.

Oh yeah:

1. Icarus
2. Perdition's Gate
3. Memento Mori 2
4. Requiem
5. Dimensions of Time (depite its mediocre quality)

I have a great tendency to start in on a megawad, save after a few levels, exit, and then totally forget I was playing through it. I'm not even sure if I've ever gone completely through five whole megawads.

Anyways, I'll say (in no particular order):
Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Rebirth, Requiem, (fumbles around for a fifth...) Operation Biowar (Or Memento Mori if you insist on a 32-level PWAD).

For me, I won't choose any Source Specific wad but one that can run on multi ones, nor a Deathmatch wad...

1. Dimensions of Time - I know this one isn't very flashy and all that, but this is personally my favoruite doom wad, ever. I loved the music and the levels, It, just, I couldn't stop playing it or humming the music from it, it was the first full Megawad I played on a Source Port (Being Legacy) and I played it on Multiplayer too and had a blast. With a soure port or not, I love this wad. Just hands down, this is my favourite wad Ever, Hurray for Matt Tropicano. :D

2. Alien Vendetta - This was one amazing Megawad, really, this was so wonderfully done and such a challenge and fun for more than I can remember. Bravo for whom ever made this. :)

Umm....I can't really think of any favourites that I really remember but... oh well...

3. dmonfear - I can remember it having a wonderful txt file with it that told a little tale aboot each level. It was a good megawad, played it on multiplayer also, which was a blast. :D Edit: Thanks to Vile for reminding me of the name. :D

4. Momento Mori - Well, I never really got to play this much but I played it online on Zdaemon and I just loved the map 23. It was so big and awesome, reminded me of one of AV's levels. :)

5. Arcade - Mwhahaha, this one was just the same map 32 times with different enemies and music, but I liked it, the music was awesome and it was fun for me on single and multi player. :D

Welp thats all I can think of for now. :D

In no particular order

Memento Mori
Memento Mori II
Alien Vendetta
Vengeance (Ultimate Doom)
Strain

AV, Requiem and Icarus are the only MW I remember playing and they were fun. AV it still #1 maybe until Millennium or RTC gets out (if it gets out)...

DOT was indeed interesting, though I don't remember ever finishing it. I remember the map31 music bugging the hell out of me because I know I heard it somewhere before, but just can't place it.

BTW Doom Anomaly, #3 on your list is dmonfear by Adam Windsor, another short but sweet 32.

Vile said:

DOT was indeed interesting, though I don't remember ever finishing it. I remember the map31 music bugging the hell out of me because I know I heard it somewhere before, but just can't place it.

BTW Doom Anomaly, #3 on your list is dmonfear by Adam Windsor, another short but sweet 32.

Ah, yeahhhh, Thanks. :D I'll update that. :D

And for Dot, I hear the map 31 - Gibbatorium, music before too, I never found out the name though. :D

Vengeance, Invasion (suprised no one mentioned this!), Alien Vendetta, Scythe, I know there's another one, but I can't put my finger on it right now :P

Vile said:

"Take Me Home" by Phil Collins.

I am not a big fan of megawads. Much too often they just seem thrown together with little or no consistency. I prefer smaller episodes (6-12 levels are optimal) But anyway, here's my list of favorites with 20 levels or more:

1. Operation: Arctic Wolf
2. Strain
3. Doom64 TC
4. 2002 - ADO
5. DSV4

BTW, everyone's favorite, AV, doesn't even make my top 20!

Ah, top 5 is much easier than top 10.
1. HR
2. AV
3. STRAIN
4. 2002ADO

and, er, oh, choosing a 5th isn't so easy after all. OK, I'll plump for...
5. H2H-Xmas

i don't like any megawads all that much really but here we go:

1. the talosian incident - best atmosphere evar
2. alien vendetta - good stuff but i'd only play it in coop
3. eternal doom (esp sverre kvernmo's maps) - the best thing team tnt's released imo, despite the out of place heretic and hexen gfx
4. mock 2: the speed of stupid - pure originality in the form of retardation
5. 2002: a doom odyssey - the best classic doom revivalist megawad to date although flashback will be better :D

ReX said:

Someone finally mentioned it.

Deathman did too, didn't he?

Anyway, yeah, Eternal Doom is great. As is Darkening E2. Those are just outside my list.

Fredrik said:

Deathman did too, didn't he?

Anyway, yeah, Eternal Doom is great. As is Darkening E2. Those are just outside my list.

The only reason Darkening 2 isn't on my list is that it only contains 12 SP-levels. Otherwise it would easily make first or second place.

I haven't played all the TCs that the rest of you have mentioned, but out of what I've played, Requiem is the best.

Are you kids blind? Strain is butt ugly. I don't know about gameplay, cant stand to look at it for long enough to tell.

I'd cast a totally unbiased vote for Darkening episode 2 ;-D (hey - it may not be 32 levels but at least it's in /megawads...)

Oh, and scythe deserves more mention here. Also I wouldn't have 2002ADO on my list - it's good, but lacks that certain something IMO.