Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

using new textures (for the 1000th time, probably)

so what i gather is that i need to

1. get ahold of the pallete, probably by editing on top of an exported image

2. import it as a patch

3. apply the patch to a texture

4. give it the name of a texture i wont be using

eek. i'm sure that once upon a time i had a utility that you could just point at a directory and it would just make a texture wad out of the bmp's that were in there... or am i thinking of something else? it's been a while!

1. Load up a DooM bitmap in Paint Shop Pro, choose 'edit palette' from the colours menu, and you can see the colours you've got to work with. (there's also a palette bitmap kicking around somewhere, someone on here should have it)

2. Yes.

3. Yes, although your best bet is to create a new texture to apply your patch to.

4. You don't have to use the name of an existing texture, just make up your own name for it.

eek. I'm not sure on this, but I think DeePsea can do auto-textures/flats from bitmaps. (although I've never tried it, so I wouldn't know)

cycloid said:

1. get ahold of the pallete, probably by editing on top of an exported image

If you don't have PSP (as suggested by TUD) you can use MS Paint and apply the method you outlined for using the proper DooM pallette.

the paint program part aint a problem i was just wandering if there was a less pain-in-the-arse method of getting some bmps into texture form!

cool i have wally for messing with quake 2 :-) ... didnt think of that!

any way i toyed with the wintex route and got it going, though it is a bit of a pain having to make a patch THEN a texture from the patch. it worked ok and i remapped the colors by pasting onto an image i exported. in the editor it looks fine BUT in game there are a few vertical lines that are wrong, like they've been shifted in the image.. id post a screenshot but the test texture is a photo of my ugly mug :-)

the test tex i made is 128 by 128 btw

cycloid said:

any way i toyed with the wintex route and got it going, though it is a bit of a pain having to make a patch THEN a texture from the patch.

As someone mentioned above, DeePsea ( sbsoftware.com ) can take a BMP and convert it to a TEXTURE in 1 step. You do not have to make a patch, then a texture. Nor do you have to change the BMP palette to DOOM, although that's recommended if you have any "transparent" textures, since you will have to set the areas that are see-through to a color that is used by the editor (not the game) to figure this out for DOOM.

DeePsea is shareware but all the PWAD/Graphics tools work for any size leve. If you have more to do, press F7, select AUTO Textures from BMPS. You can pick around 1000 BMPs at the same time in the Open dialog (depends on your path size) or you can do it one file at a time. The default TEXTURE name is the 1st 8 characters of the file, but you can rename them.

And of course very soon (next release) Zdoom should support a new texturing system. You will have the ability to import graphics into a WAD, and as long as you stick them between markers in the WAD called TX_START and TX_END you will be able to use them on the walls or the floors of your level without any further lump manipulation (no need for PNAMES or TEXTUREx lump unless you want to scale your textures for hi-res).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Will wads using the old PP_START/END and FF_START/END system still be compatible with the newer version of ZDoom?

Yes. Randy's not removing any existing features, he's adding to them.

O_O Sheesh, I hope he's not deleting that. That would invalidate, oh, how many wads out there?

Personally, I don't care about the pallette until I import the patch. Before saving it I copy the whole thing... then when I load it, it usually changes colors because it was originally a 24bit BMP. So I just paste what I had in there and it looks fine... unless of course I use colors that the pallette doesn't support (which rarely happens).

I DO wish Wintex would save FF_END instead of calling it F_END. I end up having to rename that entry myself.