Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

worst doom port

many of you have said doom95 is a great port. well you are wrong. even in its day it was terrible. now why would anyone still use doom95 when there are other and better windows doom ports. i have recently used the port and made a list of all the bugs i can find large and small.
first it has all the bugs of the original and the port has never been updated.
second here are some sound bugs:
Midi music is played poorly, the DOS port was far better.
SFX volume does not work, turn it all the way down and you still have sound effects.
sound is choppy and slow.
Graphics bugs: high res is done terribly, lines and "spots" offten appear.
sometimes textures are missing or the color is inverted.
sometimes the games colors are inverted from start.
slower frame rate, even in its low res default.
monsters and other spirtis may look "blown up" and one time they where horribly distorted.
other shit: demo recording does not work at all!
demo playing doesnt work as good either.
more common to get a "vis plane overflow" error that in the original.
sometimes maps that work with the plain port do not work at all with doom95.
will freeze or crash more offten.

well that is about all i could find in 2 hours of useing the port. I know many of you know that doom95 is a horrible port but there are some newbies out there who think it is great. So i am here to inform newbies and others that if you want original doom port use the DOS. If you are just looking for a win9x port get zdoom, legacy, boom, ect.

the worst ports are edge and Zdoom

Umm.... NO.

I thought Doom95 was OK until I got Zdoom. Then My opinion of Doom95 went rapidly downhill. I just got egde, and It's cool. Although, Why do the GREEN fireballs from Hell Knights give off a RED dynamic light? The only thing I don't like about edge is that I find the gameplay a bit choppy. (I've only used the GL enhanced bit so far)
Also: ANISOTROPIC FILTERING WORKS!!!! W00T! I can't get that to work in any other game apart from Max Payne, but it slow it down too much in that. :(

In reference to cacodorkman:
Listen here, you rotten twat.
Shut the fuck up and get out of here.
In reference to the question:
Uh, anyway-
So far, my fave port is, like everyone else, ZDoom. After that comes Legacy, then EDGE. PrBoom is ok. GLBoom would be a lot better if it didn't run so blasted slow.

Whoa, cacodorkman, your maturity level instantly skyrocketed with that comment.

I thought DOOM95 was good at setting up modem-to-modem games, but that was before I ran into the internet and ZDoom.

I dunno, I've always hated Doom95 deeply. I never understood it... the original DOS exes ran so much smoother and everything. The damn thing won't even playback demos without losing sync.

It refuses to install without trying to force DirectX3 down Windows throat too, that's pretty damn gay in itself.

window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy.. Etc.

Wow, longest post ever on these forums. So, errrhh, have you taken your pills today?

Wow, longest post ever on these forums.

I guess the rest got deleted before you saw them.

It refuses to install without trying to force DirectX3 down Windows throat too, that's pretty damn gay in itself.

Not to worry about that. Any version of directX automatically prevents the installation of a previous version over top. So if you have directX 8 and try to install 7 or an earlier version, nothing will happen.

In the middle of cacodorkman's post:

wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy waction=editpost&FID=1&PID=31023&UserName=cacodorkmanindow a wussy vwindow a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a

HUH???

that just shows how much of a dork he is because he doesn't know what the heck he is posting before he posts it.

In the middle of cacodorkman's post:

wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy waction=editpost&FID=1&PID=31023&UserName=cacodorkmanindow a wussy vwindow a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a wussy window a

HUH???

Good idea.

Well, this does not seems to be complete, but maybe this was only an experimental thing, playing around with mouselook. I found it by surprise on the net:

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/4503/bug3d100.zip

homepage: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/4503/rcast.htm

only one level with no monsters, but maybe it is something for your collection.

From the same author (Kais Dukes):

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/4503/djdoom1b.zip

author´s homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/4503/