Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #147

Oh man, you people are killing me here! The sheer amount of wads you fellow doomers uploaded this week is a hell of a improvement over last week. I salute you all for making sure that I put in more dedicated hours of writing up my trademark reviews. I personally like to thank you all for providing me with such a quality /newstuff this week.

So what are you waiting for, go ahead and uncover what's inside!

• DTCA - Map 01 - Lobby - Cyber-Menace
    205kb - ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    This is the first map for some megawad that I still have no clue about, yet I've played MAP17 of it in an earlier /newstuff. I have to admit that I actually like the gameplay in it, but detail is lacking in many places, especially the shotgun room. The map also explains about the colour codes with all the messages, plus it does have some sort of an story, although it's original (you'll see what I mean). Anyway, I give this a thumbs up mainly because the gameplay is very fitting for an opening level of a megawad. He also uploaded an older version of the map, but I don't want to review it, because he should of released it AFTER the actual level, not in the SAME WEEK.

Well, that pretty much wraps up /newstuff for this week. The other crap that was in the good ole /newstuff directory was an old wad SargeBaldy uploaded (blah), and Wintex 5.0, which I've already reviewed. See you later my humble minions!

Another deathz0r week, another single-map-submission /newstuff.

You jerks better make up for it next week.

(tp)

uh... are you blind. there's more than 1 level in /newstuff this week. There's that other DTCA level or whatever the hell it is.

Dont worry guys, HR2 will be released soon and newstuff will be alot better. On the other note, dont forget about the upcoming SWAD releases.

Too bad you cant grab the chaingun without killing all the enemies in that first room. If you do try to get it first, you'll be frozen and helpless as they tear you a new one.

I assume you all know what map Im talking about :P

(fp)

Gosh, if my computer ever gets here, I'll go back to mapping and have something in a couple weeks, maybe. I don't really know, though, as I kind of have only one really awesome room for Stylin' 3 and haven't really worked out the layout yet. [offtopic]BTW, does anyone have any good suggestions for coming up with a map layout? I mean, once I get an idea, the level almost creates itself, but coming up with the idea is a doozy.[/offtopic]

Where's Southern Cross - Gold Edition. It was uploaded after last week's newstuff chronicles but isn't even mentioned here. Not a good sign...

sargebaldy said:

four wads in /newstuff, and deathz0r can't get off his ass enough to review more that one.[/url].

What I find amazing is that he gave that one wad a decent review.

Graf Zahl said:

Where's Southern Cross - Gold Edition. It was uploaded after last week's newstuff chronicles but isn't even mentioned here. Not a good sign...

I think Deathz0r refuses to review re-releases, unless they are very special.

Little Faith said:

i would say it's pretty special since it was completely redetailed...

the wad i submitted wasn't a rerelease either, it was new to the archives. but i guess with the huge workload deathz0r had this week he couldn't get to it.

Assmaster said:

Too bad you cant grab the chaingun without killing all the enemies in that first room. If you do try to get it first, you'll be frozen and helpless as they tear you a new one.

I assume you all know what map Im talking about :P

(fp)

Hang on, which map are you talking about?

I can't even play that map, it gives me a segment violation in Legacy, Something about textures in Zdoom and something crazy in jdoom.

Little Faith said:

He didn't even mention it!

Frankly, this was the most pathetic /newstuff chronicles I ever saw. I wasn't impressed by deathz0r's recent work as a reviewer but this was too much. Either he does it correctly or not at all!

Graf Zahl said:

Frankly, this was the most pathetic /newstuff chronicles I ever saw. I wasn't impressed by deathz0r's recent work as a reviewer but this was too much. Either he does it correctly or not at all!

And I suppose you'd be willing to "do it correctly" instead of him? Give him a fucking break, he spends his own time doing this at no personal profit whatsoever.

Archvile46 said:

And I suppose you'd be willing to "do it correctly" instead of him? Give him a fucking break, he spends his own time doing this at no personal profit whatsoever.

At least I would review EVERYTHING and not just one WAD out of four. What he did this weekend is a bad joke in my opinion, nothing more. It took approx. 20 minutes for me to check out the 4 new WADs this week. So please don't tell me to give him a break. If he has so little time that he can't even properly review four Wads he should quit. Especially since he completely ignored (or overlooked) one of the best releases of recent months. Even if it was a re-release, it was a massive improvement over the already good original.

yeah he hardly deserves a break about this. he might do it for free, that doesn't mean he can just skip 3/4 of the work just because (<@deathz0r> i hate old wads damnit || <@deathz0r> and it fits perfectly with my opening statement) he wanted a funny opening. i can see maybe not reviewing something old when there's a 15 wad week, but there really wasn't any excuse this time. frankly, an effort like this makes me want to avoid his weeks, as you can't even be sure you'll get a review at all.

I said:

and Wintex 5.0, which I've already reviewed.

Are you people blind? If I remember correctly, I'm sure I did it in the #13x range.

And if I recall correctly, /newstuff is for NEW files, not new files to the archive that are 8 fucking years old that probably had a reason to why they weren't in the archives in the first place anyway.

I will always review new stuff, but old stuff I will literally refuse to touch. If Cyber-Menace uploaded his old version of his map say... next time I did it, I would of definitely reviewed it. I don't mind looking at earlier builds of wads, I just hate reviewing old finished wads.

Baldy, I'm 100% sure I asked you nicely to never upload old crap to my weeks ever again.

Graf Zahl said:

Especially since he completely ignored (or overlooked) one of the best releases of recent months. Even if it was a re-release, it was a massive improvement over the already good original.

I probably overlooked it, since at the time I thought UD had reviewed it. Hell, just to shut you people up I'm willing to do /newstuff next week, and I will review Southern Cross.

Gherkin said:

Im sure I uploaded my map... this is deathz0red.

I'm assuming it was rejected by the archives, since the only wads I can see are scge, dtcalob1 and 2, fantviol and wintex50.

deathz0r said:

I'm assuming it was rejected by the archives, since the only wads I can see are scge, dtcalob1 and 2, fantviol and wintex50.

Sun Sep 14 14:00:39 EDT 2003 Rejected: suddeath.txt because no email address in the text file
Sun Sep 14 14:00:39 EDT 2003 Rejected: suddeath.zip because no email address in the text file

deathz0r said:

And if I recall correctly, /newstuff is for NEW files, not new files to the archive that are 8 fucking years old that probably had a reason to why they weren't in the archives in the first place anyway.

last I checked, /newstuff is for things that pop up in ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/newstuff, which happens to be where the name 'newstuff' came from in the first place.

deathz0r, just deal with oldstuff. not our fault we cant think of anything new.

and where can we get a warning of your weeks anyway? I ain't getting some deathz0r review for my work.

deathz0r said:

I probably overlooked it, since at the time I thought UD had reviewed it.

I did review the original a few months back, but not this version.

The way I see it is: if a wad hasn't been in the archives before, then it should get reviewed regardless of age. Only if it's an update/re-release should it be missed. (maybe give it a quick mention at the top of the page if it is)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The way I see it is: if a wad hasn't been in the archives before, then it should get reviewed regardless of age. Only if it's an update/re-release should it be missed. (maybe give it a quick mention at the top of the page if it is)

yeah i agree with that. although in the case of a major reworking like southern cross - gold edition i think a new one is deserved as well.

deathz0r said:

Baldy, I'm 100% sure I asked you nicely to never upload old crap to my weeks ever again.

Of course, people can upload whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as it is line with the archive's criteria. The archive predates T/nC and is independent of it.

Anyway, it's kind of funny/sad that people can get more wads from downloading SDA updates than from looking in /newstuff.

Regarding Fantastic Violence, that stuck arachnotron certainly does look like an error, but I doubt that UV Max would be possible (it's extremely tight as it is) if it were not stuck (well, you'd need to use just the chainsaw to deal with the PEs and lost souls). So maybe it is deliberate.

Sarge: it's not clear from your review, but you did realize that it was a trip though the human body, so there was a reason for each of the rooms (head, neck, lungs, stomach, rectum, etc.), right?

Oh, and I think it is wholly at the reviewer's discretion what he chooses to review and not to review. Though maybe a bare listing is in order of any that he has chosen to skip for whatever reason.

Grazza said:

Sarge: it's not clear from your review, but you did realize that it was a trip though the human body, so there was a reason for each of the rooms (head, neck, lungs, stomach, rectum, etc.), right?

heh, no i wasn't aware although that is very interesting.