Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

HACX

What is it? It looks cool, but is a Doom mod, or what, but it's only legally for download on the guys site. What is it? Is it like Hexen, where it was based on the Doom engine, or is it just a TC? Thanks!

It is a commercial TC somewhat like the ones for the Quake series. It has been de-commercialized, so you can download it from the author's site. I haven't played it completely through, but I guess it's best described as a cyberpunk FPS. You do still require Doom 2 because it's a TC, but just about everything is changed.

Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but I didn't really like Hacx. It started off really cool, some cool looking monsters, breaking glass, some cool weapons, and a neat environment.

It just seemed to degrade when I picked up the shotgun. It was so retarded. Then the levels seemed to get progressively more obscure and they stopped being fun after the alcatraz level and transcended into retarded. The textures started giving me siezures later on as well. I gave up when I fired the BFG. It looked SO awesome, but it was just a BFG that fired a nuke canister. lame.

Best TC? Aliens or Batman Doom, despite the freakishly large enemies and mastubating hand.

Scuba Steve said:

Maybe I'm alone when I say this, but I didn't really like Hacx. It started off really cool, some cool looking monsters, breaking glass, some cool weapons, and a neat environment.

It just seemed to degrade when I picked up the shotgun. It was so retarded. Then the levels seemed to get progressively more obscure and they stopped being fun after the alcatraz level and transcended into retarded. The textures started giving me siezures later on as well. I gave up when I fired the BFG. It looked SO awesome, but it was just a BFG that fired a nuke canister. lame.

Best TC? Aliens or Batman Doom, despite the freakishly large enemies and mastubating hand.

True. It's just another Doom with brain-numbing differences....

Scuba Steve said:

your not alone on that, heh

Had HACX been done with ZDoom, they could have had sequences where you use a "cyberdeck" and "cyberjack" and actually enter "cyberspace." I've thought about doing this a lot... it wouldn't be like in System Shock, though. The "real world" would just basically be office complexes, alleys, cops, thugs. "Cyberspace" would have more interesting fantasy settings and monsters and more player capabilities and cool weapons to match them. As always, the purpose of entering "cyberspace" would be to make electronic changes to affect the physical world (as would, in some cases, physical changes affect the electronic world.) Somewhere along the line the player discovers a big corporate conspiracy, blah blah blah, existence of magic... basically Shadowrun in FPS format. :P (Kidding. I'd hope to be a LITTLE more original... although using Hexen/Heretic stuff in ZDoom would solve the whole magic-using problem.)

EDIT: Please note that HACX's interpretation of cyberspace SUCKED. You walk through a big monitor set in the wall and the next level you end up in is some dumb early 90's stupid Lawnmower Man shit...

Scuba Steve said:

Masturbating hand? What the hell have I been missing out on? Is it cooler than the penis chainsaw?

Coming back to the basic question of what it is, it is a 21-map pwad with an (essential) deh patch. You can use it with source ports - just use hacx.wad and hacx.deh. The default installation applies the deh patch to your doom2.exe, creating a new file called (IIRC) hacx.exe. If you're using a source port, you'll want it not to take that final step, since (again IIRC) it deletes hacx.deh once it is done.

Note that if you want to play it with prboom, you'll need to use the very latest version (2.2.3 screws up with Hacx).

I liked Hacx very much, BTW. It's just a shame they never finished it. If you want a quick tour of Hacx, there is a fantastic TAS speedrun (Hacx3215.lmp).

Good, clean, wholesome fun...

Well, there goes my appetite for a few hours.