Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

New article + 2 screenshots

What the hell? Cross-carry your flashlight with your pistol. It's what the police do.

I hate when bullshit like that happens in games and movies. Case in point - in Underworld, they storm dark underground caverns with assault rifles and shotguns, and yet they don't bring flashlights. What the hell? Morons.

auxois said:

What the hell? Cross-carry your flashlight with your pistol. It's what the police do.

I hate when bullshit like that happens in games and movies. Case in point - in Underworld, they storm dark underground caverns with assault rifles and shotguns, and yet they don't bring flashlights. What the hell? Morons.

And the fact that the Lycans had an edge over VAMPIRES in the DARK was kind of ridiculous... Nice to see that they are having about 6 spiders coming at you at once... and those are just the ones you can see in FRONT of you.

Awesome screenshots, although I saw those two in PC Gamer's novembe issue as well. Albeit in a lot crappier versions, and the Trite pic was cropped. Beatiful! Those Trites come in packs, I love it!

September 22, 2003 - Sources who know what they're talking about tell us that the progressive metal band Tool is doing an original song for Doom 3. We'd love to bring you more details on this but the fear that some sort of demonic beast will spurt forth from our stereos, turn off all the lights and start eating away at our tummies prompts us to avoid talking about this any further. We'll bring you more information once we get rid of our stereo.

I love the pic with the Trites, crawling down the wall. AND I HATE SPIDERS! I'd love to see them in motion though!

Disorder said:

Can someone load this page? It won't load here, but some guys on Doom3.dk say that the article on that page says that TOOL will do a song for Doom 3: http://pc.ign.com/articles/451/451076p1.html

IGN writes:
September 22, 2003 - Sources who know what they're talking about tell us that the progressive metal band Tool is doing an original song for Doom 3. We'd love to bring you more details on this but the fear that some sort of demonic beast will spurt forth from our stereos, turn off all the lights and start eating away at our tummies prompts us to avoid talking about this any further. We'll bring you more information once we get rid of our stereo.

-- Steve Butts

oh, too late...sorry....damn proxy downtimes.

auxois said:

Hello? IT'S A GAME!!!

Fredrik said:

Hello? IT'S A GAME!!!

Yes, and I'm sure you'll be able to switch from flashlight to weapon in the nick of time. They'll have those things balanced out, I'm sure of that.

Another preview here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/preview_6075567.html

We also encountered maggots--pale, two-headed, vaguely humanoid creatures with an alarming tendencies to leap extremely fast and far at us from a completely stationary position, like the fiends from the original Quake.

We then visited another area where toxic gas was leaking from barrels that were stored in a glass-enclosed control room. To proceed, we had to take control of a crane inside the room. We then had to lift a limp, dead zombie with the crane and place it on top of the gas leak. We didn't drop the corpse squarely on the leak, so the zombie's corpse realistically flopped to the ground. Since we failed, we had to move the crane so we could try again.

Interesting. And another preview here: http://www.gamespy.com/previews/september03/doom3pc/

Not long after you arrive, all hell breaks looks -- literally -- as demons start flooding the facility. It appears the demons are after some teleportation technology being developed at the UAC facility, and your job is to find out where they're coming from and stop them.

I read this in another preview as well. Looks like the Demons are trying to find out how to get to Earth.

This ended the "game" portion of our demonstration, and Willits wrapped things up by booting up a small tech demo that consisted of a room with a tower of 100 boxes stacked on top of each other. As Willits shot out one of the boxes near the bottom, the entire stack collapsed, with boxes falling and bouncing in different ways. Reloading the level and then spawning a humanoid model into the room, Willits then picked up the body and swung it into the stack, causing the boxes to fall yet again and bounce off the body in various ways.

There's no way around it -- this demo appeared to be id reacting to all the hoopla surrounding the recent Half-Life 2 tech demos, as if to say, "this really isn't that big a deal. We can do it too, see?" Although they probably won't allow themselves to be quoted as such, you get the feeling that the id guys believe they've clearly got the best new tech on the planet, and can't wait to get it in the hands of the players.

Half-life 2 tech demo deja vu. Seems like Doom 3's physics engine is in great shape.

auxois said:

They did it for gameplay balance - if you got it the way you wanted it, we'd get a game that was considerably less scary, and probably slightly less fun too.

Who cares about realism if it intrudes on gameplay? Sheesh.

Heh, the part in one of the previews that says that you can chose to enlisten the aid of the scientist or leave him alone pleases me. That means that there are two different ways to play at least that part.
I hope Doom 3 will have more such choices, because the game itself is gonna be damn linear overall :-/

auxois said:

What the hell? Cross-carry your flashlight with your pistol.

Heh. I'll have more fun wipping out the pistol as soon as i spot an enemy with the flashlight than cross-carrying. Gotta have some action elements in it. Like what the others said: It's the gameplay that counts.

In relation to the article, i'm left wondering how many close combat opponents will doom3 have and how many long-range opponents (ie monsters with guns) doom3 will have since this doom is going to be a bit more horror-based than the other dooms.

Is that spider using a thread to climb down the wall? I think I see a white thread there. cool!

Yeah, seems so.

In the last trailer we got there was also a scene with a trite dropping from the ceiling on a strand of "trite silk".

Arioch said:

...the last trailer we got there....

what trailer was that, i can't remember seeing this..

heh. These two screenshots shut up 2 more nay-sayers! :P

The "OMG D3 won't have large areas" and the "OMG D3 won't have more than 3 monsters onscreen" people.

Shaviro said:

heh. These two screenshots shut up 2 more nay-sayers! :P

The "OMG D3 won't have large areas" and the "OMG D3 won't have more than 3 monsters onscreen" people.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble and I wish I could agree 100 per cent with you, but while the screenies do show outdoor areas, none of them reveal HUGE outdoor areas.
Those who're concerned with outdoor areas and who bitch about the lack of them, usually want HUGE, boring landscapes a la those in Unreal 1+2 that take a million years to traverse.

Disorder said:

E3's trailer.

Oh I just saw it (had to do it frame by frame though). Anyone noticed the incoming bomb/rocket at min 2:34? What is that?

Zoost said:

Anyone noticed the incoming bomb/rocket at min 2:34? What is that?

Yes I saw that too. I have no idea where that came from.

Arioch said:

I'm guessing revenant rocket.

It looked very thick. Doesn't seem like those rockets could fit in those 'camcorders'.

Disorder said:

It looked very thick. Doesn't seem like those rockets could fit in those 'camcorders'.

...it's a game :P

999cop said:

The Revenant in that screenshot doesn't look quite right to me...

It leans forward, if that's what you mean. I think it looks great.