Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Goat

Another Flashlight Topic:

after reading all these flashlight threads, it gave me an idea. Playing Alone In the Dark: The New Nightmare, using the flashlight on an enemy made them confused/hurt a little bit and left room for attacking

maybe in doom this will happen? like, u see an imp in the dark and u bust out the flashlight and shine it in its eyes and it like freezes for a second and shakes its head confused a bit.

That's definitely a cool idea, though I don't think all the monsters should be affected by it. I mean, some of them don't have eyes.

I don't think that it would be such a good idea to let Demons run away from a flashlight. They're Demons from Hell. They shouldn't be scared of something like a flashlight in my opinion. Although it might work well for those Trites. Imagine scaring those Trites and seeing them climb back up a hole in the ceiling. That would be scary, knowing that you'd eventually walk into them again.

I don't think it was so much fright as being dazed by the bright light. That would have to be one hell of a bright light, though. I know a Maglite won't do that, and they're pretty damn bright. It'd have to be some ridiculously bright light. And I doubt id is going to let anyone carry around floodlights.

I don't think he was thinking of having the light scare the demons - rather confuse a few of them a little and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Having to use a flashlight in D3 should make the game more suspencful, but what I don't like is id stated you have to "holster your weapon" in order to operate it! Can you say "sure-fire DEATH?" So what you can KLOCK somebody with it. It'll most likely just break and blink out anyway and you'll be in even deeper SHIT!!

HMPH! What garbage!!

well they probaly wont code the snapping and blinking of the light in game. And anway, if you were/are any good with the fist in the orginal doom, or good with the knife in CS, etc you can do not nee dto worry cuz u will be great enough. :)

anyway if it did break and/or blink out that would really add a sense of realism and make things a hell of a lot scarier/funner. I don't know about anyone else, but i think that would be fun ^_^

tsareppsun said:

Having to use a flashlight in D3 should make the game more suspencful, but what I don't like is id stated you have to "holster your weapon" in order to operate it! Can you say "sure-fire DEATH?"

No - just back away to the part where there's light and wait for the critter to come crashing at you. It's not like the Doom 3 monsters are gonna be particularly smart and I believe a battle-hardened fps veteran like you (I mean that as a sort of would-be compliment - not an insult!) would be able to do fine. Plus, I'm pretty sure iD just wants to scare you - not kill you.

actually, iread somewhere that iD spent a lot of time on the death sequences of the player, ie monster rip youre head and eat it, etc so maybe they do want us to die ^_^

Zell said:

actually, iread somewhere that iD spent a lot of time on the death sequences of the player, ie monster rip youre head and eat it, etc so maybe they do want us to die ^_^

Sure.
They want us to die a lot the first time around, until we get a proper feeling for how Doom 3 plays. Then, once we've developed a feel for the game, it'll start getting easier, but still scary.

And btw, isn't this what most people want? Every forum I go to these days cry about sp games being too easy - well, throw a bit of darkness into the game, unseen monsters that attack you when you're most vulnurable and you've got a perfectly challenging sp game.

I don't understand people's complaint, but I do get the impression that they whine a lot for the sake of whining - they either whine over games being too easy or they whine because they're too hard :-P

Cyb said:

you ought to stop talking to whiners then :P

Easier said than done - but then I take it you ain't being serious :-P

dsm said:

That's definitely a cool idea, though I don't think all the monsters should be affected by it. I mean, some of them don't have eyes.

heh

As with any argument, there is an element of truth in both. With a flashlight can be scary as fuck. I turned of all the lights in the alpha and walla! instant Silent Hill, w/o the fog. Freaked the fuckoutta me even though I've already played in several times. Well, several hundred times, anyway, it is still scary. Without the flashlight, in the dark can be just as scary in a different way. Personally I think it makes sense. Maybee to shut the fuck out of people like auxois, id could have it on the guns that would make sense... the pistol and the... yeah pretty much just the pistol.

Yeah, blinding monsters with the flashlight sounds really cool.

Also, I hope that they make it so that you can jump on the heads of the enemies when you're out of ammo, flattening them and earning you a gold coin.

Keep the good ideas coming.

How about shining a flashlight into a demon's eyes doesn't scare it, but pisses it off big-time?