Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

I'm such a nice guy

Since I'm such a nice guy, I decided to release an in-development version of 0.75 (it's been a couple months since 0.74 came out, so what the hell).

http://timmie.squabble.org/snapshots/

This version supports shaders (included some examples), hires textures in the wad (no examples of that due to size) and the Duke-style automap (amongst other things).

Remember, this is an in-development version, so things may be a bit buggy. For instance, the software renderer will crash if the view width is less than the screen width.

you'll need an existing ZDoomGL 0.7x installation for it to work. I left fmod.dll, devil.dll and ilu.dll out of the zip since they made it quite a bit bigger and they didn't change from the previous version.

nice :) but im gonna list a frw bugs, just so you can kill em :D

- Opening does not open correctly(all funky colors)
- Kicks at random times
- Nukage textures displayed as all white blocks.

and gl_texture_useshaders didnt do anything display wise on my comp.

yeah, there'll be a few bugs from the in-development version of ZDoom it's based on right now. I forgot about the loading savegames bug (whacked out textures)...

Are you making sure to add shaders.wad (zdoomgl2.exe -file shaders.wad)? There's only a few in there. Check out map01 and map25.

Also, if you're getting animated textures not rendering properly (ie: nukage), try setting gl_texture_multitexture to 0.

Ooh, nice job. Runs quite well on my 233/Radeon 7000. There are a few issues however. One, it seems the text still has a noticeable effect on speed(however, it's nowhere near as bad as 0.74, thank god). Also, every so often the framerate would drop from around 70+ fps to closer to 30, and bringing down the console would cause a couple seconds of delay.
A few upsides though. As mentioned the text is faster than before(having the console down netted me about 10fps.. about 10x faster than before o_o). The shaders also worked beautifully with no noticeable effect on speed(the silvery UAC door seemed to have a blue glow on it for some reason, though).
Unfortunately after I finished Map02, the game crashed back to my desktop with no warning or error..

I've never been able to get software ZDoom above 35fps, unless I drop down to like, 320x240. o_O;

I wonder if anyone should mention this on the ZDoom forums..

Hmm, for the drops from 70+ to ~30, check to see if you have vsync enabled (gl_vid_vsync). If it is enabled, disable it. As for getting ZDoom over 35fps, unless you have a copy of 2.0.47i that's floating around you won't be able to (cl_capfps controls that, btw). Also, this version of ZDoomGL is based on 2.0.47j, which supports the interchangeable textures/flats/patches.

Hmm, no matter what vsync is set to (gl_vid_vsync or vid_vsync), the fps drops to 35 exactly when the console is down. I think this is some kind of ZDoom feature though, just like the automap seems locked at 35fps too...

Just for clarity's sake, when the frame rate drops on me, it seems to be associated with the number of subsectors in view. Also note that I had my OpenGL settings turned up(for better quality) which could attribute to it. The console won't seem to get above 10fps for me(and changing a map takes forever with the console down because it has to redraw everytime that friggin slider moves which wastes time).

KCat said:

I've never been able to get software ZDoom above 35fps, unless I drop down to like, 320x240. o_O;

I wonder if anyone should mention this on the ZDoom forums..

I've never been able to get 10fps at 320x200 fullscreen. Window at 640x480 is fine, but windows are annnoying.

Dude. Owned like a bitch.

I gotta say something, though - I want AndrewB or one of those dumbfucks who says "OMG 60 FPS IS ENOUGH" or anysuch comments to try this out after having played ZdoomGL at 35FPS for ages. There's no freakin' comparison. It's just ridiculous.

Great job. Keep it up, eh?

Just a quick note, while I'm thinking about it - I'm getting some extremely severe artifacting in the form of microscopic "holes" in the architecture that move around constantly. I can make a vid if you'd really like, but I'm pretty sure they'll show up on screenshots. It's not a huge deal but it IS distracting, and pretty ugly. I don't get this in any other 3D port, nor in other 3D apps. Graphics card drivers and settings make no difference. Why is this?

Think about it right, say your monitor can only run 75 HZ. If the game is running at 60fps, its only 15 frames short of that cap. If the game is running more than 75, its just sweating your computer for no good reason. So when someone says 60 is enough, its another way of saying 700fps is retarded. (although not to say it isn't very impressive tim ;))

The graphics card could be doing much better things with its time, like for example making the game look good.

And yeah, I can tell the difference between 35 and 60, because it actually makes a difference (as opposed to no difference whatsoever)

That's what vsync is for, just in case you're really retarded or something.

Personally, I like to see how much real fps my machine can chug.

Thank you for very much for the tip of the day I am in awe of your insightfulness please also explain to me what color depth is I cannot see any performance increase from 16 to 32 bit which goes against my expectations and I ususally get everything right even though I dont read any readme files because after all what are they for anyway certainly not to explain what the function of certain game options are and besides no games ever have readme files at least I cant seem to find any on the CD only because I cant seem to access a CD like a harddrive I only see the game theme menu that pops up when I put the cd in and it only has setup and website buttons....

sorry, here are the punctuation marks that were missing from that post: ,.,,?.,,.,.!!1

I know I should have shared them, but I had a flash of selfishness.