Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
#1DOOMGUY

PSone DooM

I'm not sure, but I think he means the tally screens or whatever between levels.
And the reason why several of the Doom2 monsters were left out of PSX Doom was due to memory and space constraints.

#1DOOMGUY said:

what about the rabbit sequence in doom2 wasnt that a video sequence or summint.

No, not really. It was 2 320x200 pictures (PFUB1 and PFUB2) which scrolled across the screen, after a while a series of graphics (END0-6) were put sequentially on screen. All the time, the music lump D_BUNNY was playing.

I doubt he has the required technical knowledge to extract and convert them. Heh.

On a sidenote - FUCKING SPACE CONSIDERATIONS? WHAT THE FLYING MOTHERFUCK?!

Final Doom, Doom2, and Doom hardly come to 60MB - and that's with all the resources duplicated; i.e. simply adding up the wadfile sizes. What, did the game have 610MB of redbook audio? If so, then that's simply moronic. Period.

Maybe RAM limitations was the main problem...then again, if Doom had been made for the PSX later (looking at some of the best looking games for it from 1997-8), I would imagine that all of the Doom 2 monsters would have been in.

auxois said:

I doubt he has the required technical knowledge to extract and convert them. Heh.

On a sidenote - FUCKING SPACE CONSIDERATIONS? WHAT THE FLYING MOTHERFUCK?!

Final Doom, Doom2, and Doom hardly come to 60MB - and that's with all the resources duplicated; i.e. simply adding up the wadfile sizes. What, did the game have 610MB of redbook audio? If so, then that's simply moronic. Period.

The Playstation has 2MB of RAM. That's half of the minimum amount the PC version required - and even then it had to heavily reload data because it couldn't keep it all in memory. The Arch-Vile is the monster that requires by far the most amount of data in memory so it was a logical choice to remove.

It still amazes me that they were able to do a decent Quake 2 conversion to PSX. Gotta be one of the most impressive ports around, considering the PSX limitations.

It was like Q2 after a long night of heavy boozing, but after a corrective beer or two the fog gradually cleared and you saw it was definitely Q2.

Hmm, threads like this one don't exactly fire me up with desire to buy a PSX, heheh.

Yep, the Arch-Vile was dropped from PSX Doom because it took too much space.
If you want Archie in a video-game port, try Doom II for the GameBoy Advance.
(GameBoy Advance *SP* strongly recommended.)
:-)

Don't forget that the PlayStation only had 2 MB of main RAM, and I guarantee you that all of it isn't available to you either (I imagine there's probably stuff like memory-mapped devices, BIOS shadowing, etc like on most other consoles).

And, given the horrible speed of the PS's CD-ROM drive, you don't want to be going to disk constantly to read in sprites you didn't previously have room for in main RAM.

That's probably why some stuff got axed. In terms of graphics capabilities, the PlayStation outperformed most PCs at that time. But in all other departments, especially speed and storage capacity, it fell pretty short.