Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

grounded

i seem to have a serious problem concerning my computer. well here is the story. last night i went to remove the phone connection from the computer becuase of the storm. however to my dismay when i touched the computers metal back i feel a strong electrical charge. Being good with computers i know that is not right. I have never seen this or even heard of this. what could it be. could it be a bad powersupply, should i ground the computer. i did ground the powerstrip, seeing that it was not grounded. seeing that this is not doom related i am sorry but if my current system goes there will not a doomserver from me for a long time. I also dont have $800 to spend on a system now

it is a continuos charge, you feel it when the computer is on. when it is off it is gone. the computer seems to be fine but i am leaving it off until i learn what causes this

i am leaving it off until i learn what causes this

Wise move. I take it in and have it looked at professionally if I were you. Something is definately screwy. (I'm guessing you can tell the difference between an electric current and the vibrations of the fan rotating -lol :)

Check none of the screw-heads holding motherboard onto case arn't touching circuit strips where they pass through the motherboard, sometimes the screw head overlaps onto a circuit and is shorting power into case

Goddamn, that would freak my ass out. If that shit happened I would yoink the power cord right the fuck out and tear that bitch apart and rebuild it THAT FUCKING SECOND. I would inspect every fucking cord and the power supply closely while I had it apart and I would double check every connection and every connector. That's something I would not play with at all... risking frying a whole system is just totally insane on my budget.

Well, if you use ungrounded power sources, that shit happens. I don't think your computer is in danger tho, it's probably been that way for a long time, and it still works, no?

It was like that at the place where me and my band used to play. Power was running through the mixer, if i touched it, i'd get a mild electrical shock, and if the strings on my guitar touched it, it sparked :) Point is, no equipment was harmed there.. so i think your comp is pretty safe, and if not, don't you have insurance?

i would not say strong because at first i did not notice it until i touched on prupose to see what i was feeling. It will remain off until i can determine a cause. I believe it may be the power supply or connection seeing that i took it \out to clean it a WEEK AGO.