Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nycgamer

Which shooting games have set the standard?

Which shooting games do you think have raised the bar and why do you pick them specifically? Are there any future shooters coming out that you think will raise the bar even higher?

Spear of Destiny. Doom. Assorted modern stuff, including Unreal a bit even though it pisses me off every time I install it.

In the future? I don't know. I think (hope) Doom3 will have a slight influence on gameplay and hl2 on certain graphic things, but the genre needs a proper kick up the arse.

Xenon 2 is one of the finest shooters in my opinion.

Cute design and challenging gameplay. The weapon balance might be a little off with worthless stuff such as the Flamer and the Mine compared to the total ownage of a properly powered Laser and Drone.

Oh, and for some reason I always have trouble with the level 3 boss monster.

raise the bar? hmm.. i guess i have to start with duck hunt, next would be catacombs3d, for being the first real FPS. doom, for adding in things such as the map, some real lighting, angled walls, raised floors, good level design, etc. quake brought the fps to a more 3d environment, although that's really all it did. deus ex added far more interaction with the game environment as well as an in-game story that is slightly believable (or perhaps system shock 1 beat it to this, i haven't played that game so i don't know). half-life deserves a mention as well although it didn't really add many new things, just improved them.

in order, my top 5:

1. catacombs 3d
2. duck hunt
3. doom
4. deus ex
5. quake

insertwackynamehere said:

You'd think he'd learn his lesson after promoting Nazism, but no.

Or getting into a flamwar with a damn animal. :P

I think a shunned one has been Red Faction, I loved the GeoMod technology.

BBG said:

That isn't fucking funny at all.

i found it funny.

doom definately. i don't really know because i don't get to play many fps anymore, although i know that wolf3d was also another good mention. i always thought half-life was revolutionary until i read this thread and learned about deus-ex (which i know of but haven't played). i dunno. and the future, hell, i don't know, i don't really worry about the future.

insertwackynamehere said:

You'd think he'd learn his lesson after promoting Nazism, but no.

You'd think he doesn't give a fuck.

Oh wait, he doesn't.

sargebaldy said:

quake brought the fps to a more 3d environment, although that's really all it did.

The most revolutionary thing Quake introduced was the client-server type of internet play. Online gaming really took off since Quake(world).

Okay, I've compiled a rash/haphazard, yet fairly reasonable list of revolutionary shooters (across any platform) which, in my humble opinion, have set standards of excellence in the realm of action shooters. Gloss over my list and tell me if you would add or remove anything;

Past:
Catacomb Abyss(?)
Doom
Wolfenstein
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Half Life

Present:

Ghost Recon series
Halo
Splinter Cell
007 series
Hitman series
Max Payne
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
GTA series
Metal Gear Solid series
Time Splitters series
Unreal series
Metroid Prime
Mafia
Medal Of Honor series
Battlefield 1942 / Road To Rome
Rainbow Six series

Future (speculatively) :
Kill Switch
Halo 2
Deus Ex 2
Half Life 2
S.W.A.T. Global Strike Team
Metal Gear Solid 3
Max Payne 2
True Crime
Hitman 3
Far Cry
Painkiller
DOOM 3

SlowMotionHobo said:

I think a shunned one has been Red Faction, I loved the GeoMod technology.

I wouldn't have said that Red Faction really set any standards. Even with Geo-mod.

That's not to say I didn't like the game - I did. I thought what they managed to do was take a whole bunch of elements and good stuff from a variety of games, mix it in with a bit of console style game play (always easy to know what to do next, short term goals, definite stages to work through and complete, good progression of enemies and a fun, original - if not too serious story line) and packaged it together to make a very playable game.

It's one of the few not-doom shooters that I thought was worth playing through a number of times. I liked the look, the feel and the general playability of it - but I don't really think it set any standards.

I thought red faction had one of the coolest storylines in years, it managed to be a "workers rise up against the ruling classes" plot without a single cliched russian accent XD

I have only one gripe with Red Faction, Deus Ex and Half-Life: crappy graphics. Yeah, I know.. 'gameplay is all that really matters..' and yadda yadda yadda. Those games had some cool gameplay, but I'm a very visual gamer and those games were out around the same time as Time Splitters, Unreal Tournament and Halo. I played those three before I played R.F., D.E. or H.L. By comparison, the latter seemed obsolete and cheap. Half-Life was the only one that had such incredible gameplay that I stuck with it until the end. This is why I'm eagerly anticipating Deus Ex 2 and Half-Life 2. I'm sure the graphics will be quite adequate this time around to match the superb gameplay. There will be other shooters coming out this year that I expect great things from that aren't sequels, like Kill Switch (http://www.killswitch.com). What's particularly interesting about Kill Switch is that it will utilize blind-cover-fire tactics as the predominant means of survival, unlike all other shooters where you always aim and shoot, covered or not. The A.I. is apparently going to be superior as well. For example, enemies use all of the same tactics available to you, including cover and blindfire, but also communicate and work as teams to take you down. Should be a great game. A couple of guys played it at E3 and said it was one of the best shooters there.

Wolf3d, Doom, Unreal, Half-Life (though I don't like it), and Quake. Oh, and Zero Tolorence for showing that a Genesis could do a FPS (and latter Battlezone, but it sucked).