Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How long?

Just out of random curiosity, how long did it take to do the shareware versions of Doom and Heretic? While we're on it, how long did it take to do the demo version of Hexen, as well?

Your usage of do evokes some irrepressible Beavis and Butthead quotes <quotes supressed>.

What do you mean by "do"? If it is about the time that went into design, DOOM took about 14 months. That's if you count from Sep '92 when id finally settled on the name - the earlier title was "Green And Pissed".

I didn't "DO" anything to make Doom, but I did "PLAY" the game. The shareware version for it took me 15 minutes to beat the first time through. How boring...

DooMBoy said:

Just out of random curiosity, how long did it take to do the shareware versions of Doom and Heretic? While we're on it, how long did it take to do the demo version of Hexen, as well?

If it is how long it took to make the shareware, I have been told by romero he used about 1month to make the episode1 maps. (btw, it was doom, I was talking about. :P)

cyber-menace:
The shareware version for it took me 15 minutes to beat the first time through. How boring...

I'm having a hard time believing that. In those days Doom was a mind-blowingly good looking game with many new aspects, never seen before in games. It's hard to imaging someone skimming through such a masterpiece like that. You must have stopped from time to time to admire the level design, monsters etc.

For me, it toke me days to complete the shareware of Doom. I must admit I wasn't very experienced with fist-person-shooters and it toke me quite a while to figure out I could strafe!