Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteelPH

PC Halo port

Got my hands on it. Good God, it's terrible. On a scale of 1 to 10, in the first 10 minutes of playing Halo for the pc, I rate it a -2

What's so bad about it?

-Settings change during gameplay.
-Every time it prompts you to press a button, it resets all your keybinds to default.
-Changing video settings doesn't always work. ie: shadows and decals that are disabled COME BACK.
-The game saves a checkpoint every time it loads something, which is roughly every 20 seconds, and then pauses for 30 seconds while doing so.
-Graphical glitches, npc/monster models deform through walls and send random body parts with the bungie-cords all over the place. Do you have any idea how fucking weird it is to be staring down the barrel of a gun that's still somewhat attached to the arm of a creature that's on the other side of the room?
-The microsoft support knowledge database for Halo pc doesn't exist either.
-Half of the textures are updated, and half of them are the xbox originals. It's almost amusing looking at a floor detail texture that's just awesome, and then looking at your weapon which is 16-bit low-quality

Jesus Christ! In the middle of a firefight, it rebinds my FREAKING KEYS. All of a sudden, I Can't strafe and my flashlight key is suddenly rebound to the melee attack. I can honestly say that PC Halo is the crappiest release I have ever played. This is by NO means release quality. I want to know who decided it was fit for public consumption. Hell, even Dungeon Siege was better.

Wait. Are you saying they've actually released HALO for the PC, or is this just some hacked up version we're talking here? It's hard to believe Microsoft would release something with so many glitches. Oh, wait... no it isn't.

footman said:

This is 1000x worse than the XBox version.

Now THAT says something...

Although, I think you're a bit impatient; hopefully patches for it will be released soon.

On the other hand, maybe it's your system. I've had more than one game/source port for an older game go nutzo on me before. When I first started playing ZDoom, the save feature was a little screwy; while playing a certain mod, I quicksaved for the first time during playing and named the slot what I wanted it to. However, every subsequent time I tried to quicksave it asked me if I wanted to save over savegame [bunch of random non-letter symbols], NOT what I had named it. This kept frustrating me since it would load, but not permanently save. After a quick defragging, *DING!*, worked like a charm.

Another screwy problem due a game happened when I started playing Hexen 2. When I tried to return to the Plaza of the Sun from the Court of 10,000 Warriors, the client and server would load, but after that I just got some funky error message in the console and I couldn't advance. Guess what? Another quick defrag later, *DING!*, worked like a charm.

All I'm telling you is don't lose your head over this just yet; try as many approaches as you can before you make a judgement on its errors.

footman said:

....My HDD was formatted last week.

A lot can happen in a week.

Melfice said:

Despite the popular belief, PC's aren't always better than consoles.

i don't think that's really the point he's trying to make here. he's more upset about the conversion being done by the v.i.p.s of a down's syndrome convention, as far as i can tell.

Melfice said:

no a PC is better, just sometimes not the port or programing.
Also a game that plays well due to format may look good on a console but on a PC be a bit off or lower compared to other games.

generaly console to PC ports are fairly bad. usally cause they use all the stuff from the console version. may look good at 640x400 on a TV but on a computer graphics are different and higher standard.

Melfice said:

Um, PC native games are usually better than those ported from a console. And vice versa.

Plus it's gearbox who did the porting, afaik.

And gearbox sucks donkey nuts. Hell, even Valve was too good for them.

well, this kills all my dreams of modding for halo, and being able to play the game without having to buy an xbox.

even though i probably couldn't play it 'cause it probably requires a 3dfx card and even if it doesn't i doubt my computer's fast enough to run it.

edit: wait, didn't gearbox do opposing force? 'cause i loved opposing force.

monochrome said:

well, this kills all my dreams of modding for halo, and being able to play the game without having to buy an xbox.

even though i probably couldn't play it 'cause it probably requires a 3dfx card and even if it doesn't i doubt my computer's fast enough to run it.

yes :D gearbox did do opposing force. I really liked opposing force too - just wish they would OP-2 along with HL2 :D

I really liked halo on xbox (played it at a friends house a bunch of times after work a year ago) it was fun, I'm not about to plop down $50 for it tho, and this is the first bad experience I've heard of with it, everyone else has said it's good, if not slightly dated and even a bit laggy. I'll probably grab it when it's down to $20 or so in I dunno, six months?

btw out of curiosity, what are your system specs?

monochrome said:

i hate to break it o u, but 3dFX isnt around anymore. i think nvidia bought them

but yes you would need a 3d-graphics card. and a decent one at that. i belive halo has such features as pixel per pixel lighting, anti-alising, T&A... i mean T&L and such. i would guess at least a 733 is needed (thats the xbox specs)

Halo's engine is (in my eyes) extremely badly written. I'm sure you'll all agree that the geometry in Halo is pretty simple, yes? So why does it run much slower than UT2003 on my box, with all the detail settings on Halo at minimum and all the detail settings in UT2003 at max, as well as 2x anti-aliasing turned on? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Another gripe I have with the PC port is that the FoV feels all wrong... if you're used to FPSes on the PC you'll see what I mean... on the XBox it was fine, I didn't notice it, nor did I notice how slow the player was moving... it just feels really different.

I played it too. It's CRAP. Graphics are horrible, the game runs slow as hell, even on lower settings. I have to agree with many people who say that the Xbox's version is simply better, because I think it is.

Dang, I was looking forward to it. I'll have to see how nice it runs on my Radeon 9800 256mb Pro/P4 3.2gHz/1gig ddr combo at home. I'm sure they'll release a patch for the button remapping. They have a demo for PC out I can try before I go plop down $$$?

Uh...dude, it's your system. Runs beautifully over here. No problems. It's a little slow (which is shocking, given my system specs) but otherwise it's great. We've already LANned it, too, after a manner of speaking. Good stuff.

I haven't experienced any of the problems you're talking about.

auxois said:

It's a little slow (which is shocking, given my system specs)

Yeah, that's my problem too. Particularly noticable in outdoor areas. Yet to try it MP though.

auxois said:

It's a little slow (which is shocking, given my system specs) but otherwise it's great.

Yeah, bought mine on the way home, and I get absolutely no problems either. Mine's not even slowing down at 1024x768 at all. In fact, I'm already preferring this one to XBox :) Though, I may hook my XBox controller up to my PC for fun.

Edit: After playing it online, too...from 1 to 10 (10 being best), I give this game a 12.

i hadn't played the xbox version but it looks ok to me. kinda buggy, pretty ugly, and some lame dialog, but it's certainly better than something like unreal2. the gameplay is fairly original thanks to the warthog and 'shields' thing. plus it's considerably more populated with enemies than most games. i'm far from done with it but i think i'd give it about a C+ or so. as for it being slow.. i haven't noticed. i just keep it capped at 30fps.

Yeah Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for pc is just a hacked up x-box version with tons of bugs. Games like these piss me off. Why release something with tons of errors?

Actually, the Halo Port to PC has a 1.01 that fixes ALL of those other bugs you talked about, footman.

Oh, btw : DooM Depot brings you greetings, from the "Dark" side.

Bug spray rules.

Gearbox aren't programmers, they're just game designers. I have no idea why they now have two console conversion jobs in their curriculum.