• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

'Half-life 2 source code leaked'

Read all about it:

Posted by CmdrTaco on Thursday October 02, @01:02PM

from the i-hate-when-that-happens dept.

Pyroman[FO] writes "There is the Half Life 2 source code floating around the net right now. It looks to be about a month old. There's no official word from Valve on the source code leak yet. Unfortunately those who want to use it to cheat already have it, we need to get the word to legitimate customers to educate them about the situation. "

From Slashdot. And check out a programmer's opinion on the 'leak'. No official statement from Valve yet. I've been reading through some forums and many agree that this is probably the real deal.

Some screens:
-Go look for 'em yourselves.-

yeah i read this too. looks interesting although i'm not sure how practically useful it would be, except to spoil the game for everyone. i'm not sure mods will appreciate those shots either.

sargebaldy said:

yeah i read this too. looks interesting although i'm not sure how practically useful it would be, except to spoil the game for everyone. i'm not sure mods will appreciate those shots either.

And think about what cheaters will do when they get their hands on this. It could destroy the multiplayer community before it even started. Valve might have to completely rewrite their netcode.

Also, if this is real, lots of developers can simply use parts of Half-life 2's code to build their own enginge. That would be a financial blow for Valve. Then again, all of this might be one giant hoax.

What's wrong with showing the shots? They are on the Steam forums if you wanna see them.

I'm kinda angry on this if it actually was leaked.

Disorder said:

And think about what cheaters will do when they get their hands on this. It could destroy the multiplayer community before it even started. Valve might have to completely rewrite their netcode.

Also, if this is real, lots of developers can simply use parts of Half-life 2's code to build their own enginge. That would be a financial blow for Valve. Then again, all of this might be one giant hoax.

What about the product activation stuff. it must be easy to write key generators now!

Could the leak (if it is real, it seems real) be the reason behind the delay? This forces them to rewrite lots and lots of stuff! This is a bad thing for valve...and bad for the credibility of the gaming industry. How could this happen?

i'm sure if it's real they'll probably just make a new algorithm for the multiplayer codes. and i don't think it's that terrible a blow to valve because the executable isn't what makes a game great anyway. although i guess there's the multiplayer cheating issue, not that i care anyway.

[15:03] <[GT]engineer> The Half-Life 2 source code has in fact been leaked, though. While this certainly isn't good, it doesn't appear to be catastrophically bad at this point either, since no actual Half-Life 2 game content or art was included. Again, downloading the source code will not enable you to play the game.
[15:03] <BBG> Valve sucks
[15:03] <BBG> ID rules, their game got an alpha leaked
[15:03] <BBG> Valve's game gets its SOURCE leaked
[15:04] <[GT]engineer> heh
[15:05] <BBG> The source to the Source engine, heh

I'm guessing a group of zealous Doomers were behind this, in hopes that if they got the HL2 source leaked, Doom 3 would have no competition release-wise.

Well if this is true, that's pretty fucking terrible news. But then again, any developer stupid enough to let the source code to a multi-million dollar project leak out to the public deserves what's coming to them.

footman said:

OMG ITZ A HOAX!!!

I'm afraid not....

This is a dirty war that is being fought here. The leaker must have intentions. And we can only guess for his intensions. But if we look at the ones that are hurt by this action are Valve and ATI. Valve because they cannot release the game, without some serious work. Not before the holliday season. And ATI because they will miss the moment that their cards will be the only real option to play the game. What where the leaker his intensions? Who benefits here? I can only think of..nVidia.

This, or some (former) Valve employee got very pissed off, tried to bribe Valve. Got nothing and leaked everything.

Heh. It wasn't even a leak. If you check the site that whoever linked in the very first post, they have an update from Gabe Newell of valve - it was OMFG M4D H4X J0.

Pretty crazy stuff. Someone is pretty 1337. Not that I approve of their actions, but still.

Gabe Newell, head coder of Valve, confirmed the leak. I saw it in this thread on the halflife2.net forums. Note: that site is currently being hammered to death, so don't expect it to load right away.

<Izuno|away> "The leaker was [GSM]Grim. That is who posted it on Usenet before anyone on IRC even had it. I did some googling and with the help of Derek (TheAmazingXemo) we figured out who this is. Please see: http://www.cracksmokingmonkeys.net/members.php?m=grim for a picture of the person who either 1) hacked valve or 2) was very close to the people who did. I already emailed valve with all of the information I have."

This came from halflife2.org's IRC channel. Thus, making it unconfirmed.

It was osama you fools.

Anway, you just can't post someone's private details accusing them of the crime when you know squat about it.

Wow it's me posting on these forums! Well for anyone who remembers me I've been deep in work on Half-Life related things (joined up with a vet clan in Natural-Selection and I've been remaking an official map that got lost in a harddrive crash). But enough about me, I figured I should bring this up cuz it's kinda interesting...

http://csnation.counter-strike.net/

Read the top story.

It appears the source has been leaked. This may explain the delay. Sad.

PlanetHalflife says otherwise about the delay. They say that the source code leak was small, due to the fact that no GFX or ART, etc were released it. AFAIK, the delay isn't about the leak at all. And, this has already been posted in Everything Else, so this should be either removed or moved. :P

heh yeah. that was a pretty stupid move.

<SargeBaldy> they shouldn't be using outlook express on the computer with the hl2 source on it :P
<SargeBaldy> that's just asking for trouble

The stupid move is NOT PATCHING.

This wasn't a run-of-the-mill e-mail worm, this was a specifically targetted attack.

Or so he claims.

Has it occurred to anyone besides me that announcing to the whole wide world how they believe the exploit went down was the dumbest idea in the world?

Arioch said:

Has it occurred to anyone besides me that announcing to the whole wide world how they believe the exploit went down was the dumbest idea in the world?

And there's that...