Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Why'd it go?

I remember back in the day when Doomworld hosted a Doom chat directly on the website. That was fantastic. But now a person has to go to the irc rooms, namely #zdoom that I recall, to do this. And one can't forget that the allowance of those rooms is subject to another person's whims. I'm sure there's a fairly reasonable explanation for the discontinuation of the chat room but, still, it'd be nice to have it back.

You mean the web applet that automatically accessed a chosen IRC channel.

I think it was removed either because the applet sucked, or the channels sucked.

@gatewatcher : lol

but, the irc thingy isnt down. I was just on it for a few seconds for the speemaping thing - i think im a little off time wise tho...like a few hours :P

EDIT: Make that one hour. :P

Job said:

I'm sure there's a fairly reasonable explanation for the discontinuation of the chat room but, still, it'd be nice to have it back.

AndrewB said:

I think it was removed either because the applet sucked, or the channels sucked.

Oh.

i never recall many people useing it. infact i checked it out once and there where no active people in it. so i take it the room sucked or the applet, most web based do suck, just use the IRC.

however i think they should have a link on here or info listing the server and channle

ling thought that abusing chat newbies didn't reflect nicely on dw as a whole

edit: also, the channel was a separate entity from doomworld but mostly everyone outside the channel assumed the channel was official doomworld territory which got annoying a few times

The IRC channel mentioned on the Contact Info page is the right room, but wrong network. #zdoom is on irc.oftc.net, not irc.freenode.net. Even though it is owned and run by myself, it is in no way an official Doomworld IRC channel.

WTH...I know there used to be a link that you could click on that would bring #doom up in jIRC. I used to use that to get on IRC before I really knew a thing about IRC. :P But was there a link to #dw when it was around or something (which I think WAS an official DoomWorld channel, set up by Pritch or something).

Anyway, I dont see what is wrong with #zdoom. The only problem right now is with Mantra and his constant trolling, but I think everyoine has him on ignore anyway. Heh.