Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
#1DOOMGUY

secret games/levels

do you guys think youll be able to unlock classic doom style levels/games.

like in return to castle wolfenstein on X-box you can unlock wolfenstein 3D.

i hope you can!!!

There will be certain areas in Doom3 that are recognizable to Doom veterans as based on classic levels. But no whole Doom levels converted in Doom3, since the original Doom and Doom2 had such an abstract level design.

I think it would be cool if you unlocked a certain door and WHAM, your back playing thru a level from the original DooM. Just like a total time warp. Then when you complete that level you exit thru a door that transports you back into the real DooM 3 on the other side of a room. (like some weird singularity of sorts).

MatrixmaN said:

I think it would be cool if you unlocked a certain door and WHAM, your back playing thru a level from the original DooM. Just like a total time warp. Then when you complete that level you exit thru a door that transports you back into the real DooM 3 on the other side of a room. (like some weird singularity of sorts).

Could work with all this portal tech. Imagine you step into a portal, get to good'ol Doom, pick a 'secret' old-school weapon there and get back. Now that would own.

MatrixmaN said:

... and WHAM, your back playing thru a level from the original DooM.

Yeah but HOW should it be realized? How do you want to translate a classic Doom level into the much more realistic and detailed looking Doom3 world? Would the weird zig-zagging bridge over a green acid pool in e1m1 be still a weird zig-zagging bridge over a green acid pool in Doom3?

I don't care that much. For me, it's enough goodies for me to know that iD are doing some areas of Doom 3 inspired by old Doom maps.

However, I hope Doom 3 will have some really cool easter eggs. Something that can be used effectively in mods apart from just being damn cool in itself.

like in return to castle wolfenstein on X-box you can unlock wolfenstein 3D.

Argh! All we PC-toting Wolfie fans got was a shitty conversion of the old Wolf3d hud that for some retarded reason only worked in multiplayer.

Just out of curiousity: Where was that? Which level and how did you get to it?

heh. I agree with dsm. I don't really expect (or care) Doom levels remade. So far one square meter of Doom3 level design is cooler than all of Doom's put together (in relation to new games) imo.

no i dont mean turn classic maps into doom3 maps.

but when you complete the game to you think that youll be able to unlock a classic style doom game/levels completely new for doom3 but in CLASSIC doom stlye.

Of course it would rule to unlock one of the old levels after finding a super super secret. C'mon, Danes, where's your sense of fun :P

It would also be a cool way of paying homage.

pritch said:

Of course it would rule to unlock one of the old levels after finding a super super secret. C'mon, Danes, where's your sense of fun :P

It would also be a cool way of paying homage.

I'm afraid that our sense of fun is a *tad* difference than that of the jolly Brits (just to mention an example - I'm sure that other nations share your sense of fun) ;-)

I was enthusiastic about an idea like this 1Ā½ year ago or so, but I've been thinking a lot about it - I just don't think it'd work very well. It'd be seriously underusing the engine's potential and gameplay possibilities. Even if it means turning the entire game into a classic style.

I'm a lot more enthusiastic about mod makers recreating the classic maps in a way that fits the D3 engine. They'd make it so that the maps seem familiar, but it'll have certain things reinterpreted to involve new gameplay mechanics.

One can wonder if Commander Keen will be making a happy return in a secret level, or maybe even shadow knights (iirc carmack did the engine for that game)

I'm pretty damn sure most moder's will recreate the original doom wads into doom 3 just for the hell of it, the only problem is doom 1/2 had loads!!! of enemies which will be the downside because of slowdown (especially set on ultra violence)

So id recommend just sticking to the "i'm to young to die" setting, plus we don't know if the caco demon will make an apperance (which would be a real shame, i liked that one eyed red head).

In e1m1, there weren't hordes of enemies so that and the first few levels would not be hard to faithfully recreate. I think they should do it with extremely low res textures to recreate that "State of the art graphics of '93" feel. No I'm not joking, I think it would be a challenge to downsize the engine that much. Just with th new lighting and w/o sprites. Barebones. Or someone came up with the idea to play doom within the game on a terminal. Now that would be cool! Like to have the marine in a level playing the old version of that level fighting against himself! Yes!

Scabbed Angel said:

I think they should do it with extremely low res textures to recreate that "State of the art graphics of '93" feel. No I'm not joking, I think it would be a challenge to downsize the engine that much. Just with th new lighting and w/o sprites.

It wouldnĀ“t work like this. If you put original low res Doom textures into the Doom3 engine, it doesnĀ“t look retro "state of the art '93", it just looks totally blurry and ugly. In Doom, the low res textures didnĀ“t look blurry because they were pixelated. Then, you have the polybump techniques in Doom3 - textures arenĀ“t simple 2D paintings, but 3D models converted into bumpmaps, then combined with the other effect maps etc. You canĀ“t just take original Doom textures and put them in Doom3 to have the old look back.

Tetzlaff said:

There will be certain areas in Doom3 that are recognizable to Doom veterans as based on classic levels.

No. I'm pretty sure Tim Willits said they WOULD NOT be doing that.

AFAIK he said they wonĀ“t remake whole Doom levels. But IĀ“m pretty sure I read something about some recognizable map parts as some sort of easter egg.

Tetzlaff said:

AFAIK he said they wonĀ“t remake whole Doom levels. But IĀ“m pretty sure I read something about some recognizable map parts as some sort of easter egg.

You may be right.

I tried to find the interview were I think IĀ“ve read something about the recognizable map parts. But no success, I only found an interview were Willits said we wonĀ“t find ourselves running arround in an updated E1M5. Maybe I just dreamed :/

Tetzlaff said:

I tried to find the interview were I think IĀ“ve read something about the recognizable map parts. But no success, I only found an interview were Willits said we wonĀ“t find ourselves running arround in an updated E1M5. Maybe I just dreamed :/

It's in the article on the PC Gamer Mag (from last year) scans found on this site's screenshots section.

Thx dsm, so it basicly is right with the recognizable level parts? Still canĀ“t find the article, but if you remember it as well...

Janderson: there will be NO e1m5, he just took that map as an example to say that there will not be whole Doom levels remade. But it could be that we find some parts inside new Doom3 maps, that resemble certain areas in old Doom maps.

Id like to see this. It adds to the replayability, it would especially be cool if you had like 10 or 12 different endings. I love being able to replay a game and see something different. Adds the overall realism of the game.