Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

New preview + New screenshot

I don't think we've ever seen that particular shot before.

And the article does sound a bit heavy on the bullshit side.

Arioch said:

And the article does sound a bit heavy on the bullshit side. Being that it's not there.

Also, the article tells about a lot of stuff told before. It seems like this guy simply put some stuff from old articles together and misinterpreted a couple of quotes. Anyway, nice screenshot. The Hellknight looks badass.

rofl, no strafing eh? MY FUCKING ASS. I had left and right arrows bound to strafe left and right in the alpha and it worked just damn fine.

The author of the article said:

The game itself is a remake of the original Doom released in 1996.

That sentence just about says it all about this article.

NiGHTMARE said:

That sentence just about says it all about this article.

Wasn't Ultimate Doom released in 96? Maybe that's what they thought as the original Doom...

Nope, 1995.

Most likely the author was either thinking of Quake 1 (how you could get them confused I don't know), or just picked some random year out of his arse thin air.

Shaviro said:
That particular shot reminds me a lot of Episode 1 of the original Doom.

The more I think about it, I agree. It kind of looks like part of E1M2.

The article looks bull...

But the 'new' screen is great! Saw that in PCG quite some time ago, but seeing it in high-res again is a wholly different feel. The shading on the Hell-Knight is amazing! :)

EllipsusD said:

The more I think about it, I agree. It kind of looks like part of E1M2.

Yeah! Really captures the feeling :D

holly fuck... now thats a big bastard, I aint in a hurry to meet that one face to face, he seems to look more stalky and built in that screen.

Okay, I e-mailed Pat Duffy just to be sure:

Strafing is absolutely in the game, I am not sure where the writer would have gotten the impression it isn't.

The writer of that article is full of shit.

How nice, another new screenie. My general views on the article

Where most games have expanded into full-functioning worlds where every object can be used, Carmack intentionally paired down Doom III to make a simple, elegant horror game.

As i seem to recall from the alpha you can interact with objects such as barrels and boxs and that you can push down the stairs etc.

The goal of the game may be the same but since doom3 is a different universe to the original dooms, it'll at least be easier said than done in terms of gameplay.

Even simple features like strafing aren't included.

What BBG said

Nah. The article doesn't sound like it was written by an exerianced game journalist to me.

I love that screeny, makes the hell knight seem alot more muscular.
Plus im glad that ID are keeping it simple, i mean i dont mind the improvements on physics etc that Half life has shown, mad me wanna buy it just for that. But i want doom3 to be more like... doom, simple with lots of monster killing. :D

Lectrix said:

I love that screeny, makes the hell knight seem alot more muscular.
Plus im glad that ID are keeping it simple, i mean i dont mind the improvements on physics etc that Half life has shown, mad me wanna buy it just for that. But i want doom3 to be more like... doom, simple with lots of monster killing. :D

Just so long as you know that alot of that preview is bullshit and that even though there will be a fair share of monster killing there wont be hordes of them like there use to be.

Simple shmimple.

Doom 3 has demonstrated just as much physics interaction as HL2 has shown so far.

Disorder said:

Okay, I e-mailed Pat Duffy just to be sure: The writer of that article is full of shit.

What about the stamina metre? Something like that could really affect Doom.

This is where I say, "Fuck you Playstation 2! You may get Konami games and Fatal Frame 2 first, but this is why Xbox IS teh rule!! LOLZ fuckers!"

Coopersville said:

What about the stamina metre? Something like that could really affect Doom.

That stamina thing was there in the leaked alpha. And it didn't bother me at all. It keeps you from running ALL the time, but you'll still be able to run around quite a lot if you want to. It's one of those things built in the game to make sure that you take your time to fully immerse yourself in the game.

I like that stamina bar idea, a bit more realistic, but i'll regret that when i see 2 pinkys chasing me and i run out of breath with no ammo ;D

Lectrix said:

I like that stamina bar idea, a bit more realistic, but i'll regret that when i see 2 pinkys chasing me and i run out of breath with no ammo ;D

Well all I can say is better start swingin lol..

It is ridiculous to even think that there wouldn't be any strafing. id is going for so much realism, it is stupid to say something so important would be excluded.
I hope that stamina bar doesn't run out when I'm desparately tying to evade that Hell Knight... things could get really... gooey...

Disorder said:

Okay, I e-mailed Pat Duffy just to be sure: The writer of that article is full of shit.

Who the hell is Pat Duffy and what did you mail him for ? The fact that strafing WILL be included is just about the most obvious thing in the world.

Lord FlatHead said:

Who the hell is Pat Duffy and what did you mail him for ? The fact that strafing WILL be included is just about the most obvious thing in the world.

Pat Duffy = IdGuy.
We email him all the time, heh.