Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Jedi Academy

Okay, so I'm a Star Wars geek, but I've really been looking forward to this game. I just got my copy of it yesterday, and man is it sweet. I've only made it throught the first tier of levels so far, but I love what they've done with it. It's nice being able to pick force powers and create your own character. The missions are pretty interesting, as well. Gosh, I can't wait to get a saber staff. Dang, if only they did a Jedi Knight game using the Doom 3 engine. Wow, okay, that's way too much. I mean, imagine saber battles with Doom 3's lighting system. Anyways, it's really awesome, even though a friend of mine hijacked it and is now farther along in the game than me (which is an abomination, considering that I'm the big game player in our group).

You're a Star Wars geek, I'm a Stargate geek.

I'm slowly learning how to speak Unas. :P

Yeah I played through that a month ago or so. It's really great! Only game that looks better than this, so far, is Doom3 imo.

I really liked the game, but it bothered me that you're forced to choose Dark Side Powers (after you've run out of Light Side Powers to chose) and visa versa, regardless of whether you want them or not.

BTW, there's a simply amazing looking level near the end of the game set in an ancient Jedi Tomb. It must push the aging Q3 engine to it's very limits.

Oh and Ravage, are you aware that there's a very cool looking Stargate mod being made for Voyager: Elite Force at the moment?

NiGHTMARE said:

Oh and Ravage, are you aware that there's a very cool looking Stargate mod being made for Voyager: Elite Force at the moment?

Uh, I don't hav EF. :( and none of the screenshots are working. (nor is a lot of the stuff working.)

I hate flash. :P

I played it for a few minutes then put it down. I don't really like 3rd person games. IMO the original Dark Forces cannot be beaten.

Ravage: Yeah the mod shut down for a while and only recently started up again, so I guess they haven't gotten around to completely re-assembling the website.

As for not having EF, well you can probably buy it on budget now for only a measly handful of pounds/dollars. Well worth it for the Borg levels alone :)

ZarcyB: uh, you do realise you can switch to first person mode, right?

Lightsaber fighting isn't that fun in 1st person.

And since you run around the entirety of the game with a saber, almost, the game can be said to be primarily 3rd person. :)

Well you can run around pretty much the entire game with just your lightsabre, but then again you can also run around pretty much the entire game with just guns (although you pretty much have to use your lightsabre against Dark Jedi). It's up to you :)

zarcyb said:

IMO the original Dark Forces cannot be beaten.

The original was good, but I liked Dark Forces II "Jedi Knight" as well. I thought it had a load of good features, good levels an interesting story that you could influence the outcome of and I really looked forward to the treat of watching the various well made cutscenes. I found Jedi Knight II "Jedi Outcast" very disappointing though. A dull story, annoying puzzles in every level, the familiar and good weapons were (mainly) dropped in favour of some pretty crappy "we've got a new engine - have some new weapons" ones. The enemy models were less blocky and angular, but that doesn't make the game fun.

Not tried "Jedi Academy" yet, simply because "Outcast" made me wary of committing cash to it.

Jedi Academy would be my favorite game ever, bar none, if only it met these two standards: it was longer, and had the gameplay of Jedi Outcast.

A lot of Academy wasnt too exciting for me (early levels) but when it's good, it's fucking GOOD (last tier and last two levels). I wish the light/dark side option would have appeared way earlier in the game though. It's fine where it's at, because it doesnt really matter with the gameplay since you can still use all dark force powers, but it still would have been nice to say "i pimp-slapped all those tusken raiders because i'm a SITH. Like a piiiiiiimp!"

Enjay said:

The original was good, but I liked Dark Forces II "Jedi Knight" as well. I thought it had a load of good features, good levels an interesting story that you could influence the outcome of and I really looked forward to the treat of watching the various well made cutscenes. I found Jedi Knight II "Jedi Outcast" very disappointing though. A dull story, annoying puzzles in every level, the familiar and good weapons were (mainly) dropped in favour of some pretty crappy "we've got a new engine - have some new weapons" ones. The enemy models were less blocky and angular, but that doesn't make the game fun.

Not tried "Jedi Academy" yet, simply because "Outcast" made me wary of committing cash to it.

Agreed, Jedi Knight was great, and I never really got into Outcast.