Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Get a Job Ya Bum!

From the 'almost sorta related to Doom but not really' department, word is that John Romero and Tom Hall, two co-founders of id Software (and Ion Storm, and Monkeystone) and also two guys who worked on the original Doom have been hired by Midway.

While the spokesperson couldn't confirm the capacity in which these industry stalwarts have been employed, inside sources have informed us that Hall will assume the role of creative director at Midway and oversee all the company's internal projects.

Romero, on the other hand, will, according to our source, re-shape the internal studio and head-up one of Midway's forthcoming games.

That's about all there is to say about that I guess.

holy shit! hopefully this doesn't mean they'll be confined to sports games now :P that seems to be midway's thing.

oh, console games. ugh.

ukiro said:

I assume you mean 'all THERE is to say'.

I don't know what you're talking about...

Cyb said:

I don't know what you're talking about...

You mean "I don't know what your talking about" ;-)

NiGHTMARE said:

OMG "John Romero's Mortal Kombat 5"!!!111

There already is a MK 5, d00d :P

Anyway: oh no, looks like Romero went from being an "indie" game maker to joining the corporate swine of industry. Pity.

yeah i'm not happy about this either, especially considering midway is about console games, and i refuse to get a tv let alone a gaming console.

i was fervently hoping hall and romero would get together for a new keen game :( i had a lot of hope for monkeystone. what those guys need is a really good programmer to make their ideas a reality like they used to have. i just hope this new phase doesn't last long and they come back to PCs :P

EDIT: here's an article that still works.

ukiro said:

You mean "I don't know what your talking about" ;-)

no, you're is correct :P

NiGHTMARE said:

OMG "John Romero's Mortal Kombat 5"!!!111

In the next Mortal Kombat they'll have John Romero as a secret character! his Fatality will be Spawning a Mancubus right on top of you, TeleFragging you!! :D
Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnn

AH HAVE SEEN TEH FUTURE AND IT IS NOT PRETTY.

*Diakatana 4, only on PS3*

I wish that sexy bastard would update rome.ro more often.

Maybe the games will get BETTER because of Romero's presence. Anyone think of that?

i just hope they work on something together. when they do that we get stuff like commander keen, doom, and hyperspace delivery boy.. when they work alone we get stuff like rott, daikatana, and doom2 :P

sargebaldy said:

i just hope they work on something together. when they do that we get stuff like commander keen, doom, and hyperspace delivery boy.. when they work alone we get stuff like rott, daikatana, and doom2 :P

Yeah doom2 sucks

BBG said:

NO! CONSOLE GAMES SUCK!

Deathman said:

exactly.

I hope you're both joking, because you're obviously entitled to dislike all consoles (although I sincerely doubt you've tried every console ever made, at least enough to know what they're fully capable of), but to say all console games suck is one of the most utterly misinformed and ridiculous things I've heard in my entire life. Not to mention the fact that it completely disregards all the thousands of hours, the blood, sweat and tears, and very often love, that console developers put into their work.

Clearly you've never played every game in existence, since you'd need several life-times to do that. Also, how exactly can what platform a game is on possibly affect how good that game is? And don't say "their graphix suxorz!" because any "proper" gamer (which hopefully you are, since you're Doomers! :) ) will know that gameplay is what's important, not graphics... and the opinion of anyone who values graphics over gameplay is irrelevant to the rest of us.

Cool, good luck to them both.

Dudes, leave them alone, they already participated in making the DOOM games (plus a few other relatively cool games.) So, heh, stop bitching. Like they have to do anything else...

from the rome.ro forums:

Romero said:

Hey guys! It's all true: Tom and I are en-route right now to Midway. Tom will get there tonight and i'll be there tomorrow night.

It's a great opportunity to work at Midway as they've been a very strong company for over 20 years and i really respect a company with a real history. And one of our game god heroes works here too!

The main reason we came to Midway to help make them *HARDCORE* developers and make some awesome games. Tom is the Creative Director, overseeing many of the projects in a creative capacity and i'm the Project Lead for an internal game. We are both *really* excited and living in San Diego is the huge icing on the cake. It was time for me to leave Dallas.

Monkeystone is staying around as well! Lucas Davis is going to be in charge of the office and we have some great projects coming up that will keep the Monkeystone name out there for a while yet :)

It's all good!

DooMBoy said:

Heh, maybe they'll do a Doom64 2. There's an idea....

Doom128. :)