Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Derrick

Linedef length limit

Is there a linedef length limit in Doom2?
Because I'm getting weird artifacts HOM in the sky.
I have also have tried compiling it with the default options for
zennode and making sure all the sectors were closed.

Vanilla Doom2:

Doom Legacy 1.41B:

The fact that you need a linedef that long is disturbing. Of course, that was also my reaction to whats-his-face who had the whole problem with reaching the max. linedef limit in Wadauthor. Really, people, stop abusing Doom like this. Can't we just make normal levels like normal human beings?

Visplane error? Meh, it didn't look like you had too many lines in there though... perhaps it's just having to repeat the texture over and over, and then it just gives up...

I can safely say that is the 3rd strangest thing I've ever seen in the DOOM engine. Only a weird, scary effect I saw on a line in a bad level once, and the bizarre, unholy stuff that goes on at the point where the coordinate space wraps around can rival that.

Keep your linedefs under 1024 in length. With the reduction and/or elimination of most limits, there's no reason to be skimping on the number of lines or sides in view.

Yeah, one thing I always wondered: Since the Doom map wraps around on itself, could you make a huge corridoor that wrapped around on itself in an endless loop?

Jonathan said:

Yeah, one thing I always wondered: Since the Doom map wraps around on itself, could you make a huge corridoor that wrapped around on itself in an endless loop?

Given how the bsp is traversed during rendering, I seriously doubt it.

Nanami:

In any level, if you idclip and walk out to positive or negative 32767 in any direction, you will begin to see strange artifacts of the real level caused by the large numbers overflowing the precision. At any time, you are considered to be in some subsector in the actual level -- which one seems nearly arbitrary except that you'll consistently see the same weird stuff in the same locations.

I have seen fake moving walls, infinite planes, really gross looking garbage stretching between fake floors and ceilings, and other stuff. Also, enemies in the real level, despite being tens of thousands of units away, can often target and damage you with their melee or special long-distance attacks (I have had archviles flame me). Same thing here -- the distance calculations mess up and the game thinks you're really right next to the monster.

This probably doesn't happen in zdoom any more because of it using floating-point arithmetic, the precision of which is vastly greater. So if you wanna see this stuff, I'm afraid you'll have to try a different port (like Eternity ;)

I've encountered some of the stuff that Quasar has mentioned, and some other stuff that is quite weird: Doors opening and closing, enemies suddenly appearing in front of me (and when they attempted to attack me they suddenly zoomed off waaay in the distance), and once, taking damage for being too far off the map (it was map01, which makes it even weirder).

and the bizarre, unholy stuff that goes on at the point where the coordinate space wraps around can rival that.

Ooh, explain this stuff to me. It sounds cool.

It would be infinitely cool if you could make a sector wrapped around on all sides.

in vanilla Doom it's probably because you have f_sky as both ceiling and floor textures. iirc vanilla Doom doesn't like that. And also because of the long linedefs.

I played it with the latest Zdoom and didn't see any artifacts or hom errors though...