Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone remember Grind2, or Dream?

Well I'm starting to wind down a level called Heart, the third level in the episode. Now, this version I'm using right now isn't finished. I need beta testers to let me know what needs work, because I couldn't stand releasing it like it is.

I need 4 testers (I need 5 but one person's already been signed up). First come first serve, and I'll send you the map via e-mail. There's no telling how many betas I'll release to my testers.

I should mention I have a high standard for testers... Usually I want a lot of feedback on the level to know what people think. Occasionally I get someone whose entire review is "I liked it." One of my testers I've been using for a long time because he usually writes a page or two each beta on things he likes, dislikes, things that need work, etc. I don't expect you to write a page or even half a page, just more than "I liked it." =) If you're still interested, post a reply here and give me your e-mail address.

The map is MAP03, Doom2, and requires any advanced port (VPO).

EDIT: Felt a shot was in order:

ravage said:

[newproject]Nanami{/newproject] :P

i'm hoping you fucked this up intentionally.

pregnant with worms said:

i'm hoping you fucked this up intentionally.

I didn't notice that I fucked it up. I thought it got disabled. :P

ravage, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

sign me up by expect me to be lazy. i've already played it over 1000000000 times anyway. or was i the one signed up by default? i never know what's going on. oh that was myk wasn't it? why do i keep rambling on anyway?

If I'm to be the fifth tester, send the map via my e-mail ellmo@o2.pl
By the way I would also like some beta testers to try out Doom:Mercenaries (click on my sig), thanx.

All right, I'll count you in. The more the merrier I suppose.

I'm sending the e-mail right now.

EDIT: Sent.

I'm not recruiting, I'm asking for beta testers so I can FINISH this one.

By the way, sorry for the incovenience but Mancunet is down due to a power outage. I'll let everyone know when it's back up again.

All right, Mancunet is back up again, so you can download the file again.

Sorry, Zell, I already have 6 testers. Maybe you can test during one of the next betas.

Dammit I missed the beta train. Oh, well. I'm not too sure whether I'm actually a good tester, anyway. Hey, Russel_P, did I do a good job? ;)

Okay, I'm downloading the file for further testing... now!
Download done...

EDIT: Wow, this map is really nice. Incredible amount of details (I got impressed by those tools lying near something that looked like a sarcofagus or a tomb) and a reasonable nubmer of monsters. Unfortunately I haven't found any secrets, so I guess they must be very secret. If I'm to complain about something: the indoor layout is perfect. Building and rooms are filled with details, but with no "overcharge", although you could upgrade the overall outdoor effect. Dunno, maybe put some building higher than the others, what could imitate a city placed on a hill or something Put some more trees and obstacles and blah, blah, blah. I mean the outdoor sectors are just a bit too empty, not couting the monsters. Anyways very good job. 9 out of 10.

First impression: (I got owned by a revenant in the room behind the red locked door, should have scavenged a bit more for health).

This is a non-linear map of the town type where you are allowed to walk around freely amongst various buildings, most of them accessible right away. Fortunately it is not so big that you'll ever get lost or disoriented and Nanami has even been so nice as to place teleporters various places that will allow you to get around more quickly during the later stages of play.

Initially the place is all riddled with monsters and as soon as you step out of the entrance room you are in a bit of a pickle. There are "respite zones" around the edge of the map however for those who don't like a "run around screaming dodging dozens of projectiles from God knows where" type of game (this could of course be seen as a weakness for those who think that running around screaming dodging projectiles from God knows where is what Doom is all about). You still have to move a bit around since ammo is fairly well spread out though not totally scattered.

The buildings offers a good mix of different monsters and Nanami resists the temptation to trap each and everything, but instead use a few effective ones. It could be argued that one of the secrets (the megaarmor) is a bit too easy to find.

Architechture and texturing is all done in a Doom2'ish urban style, with some tech and hellish features thrown in for good measure though it never looks contrived, just damn mid-level Doom2'ish.

Detail is consistently medium with no completely bare walls, but no sensory overload either. This is not to say that there are no fine details. There are lots of those. A kinda spooky room is just visible behind the jammed entrance door. A very neat looking well (filled with blood) is sitting right outside the entrance room. All tech features are cool looking machines and computer workbenches, complete with cabling running on the floor, rather than just spamming COMPSTA and COMPTALL all over the place. For those with good eyes and some patience there are other small neatnesses to find like a toolbox plus it's contents and can you find all four playing cards?

I encountered no glaring errors.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Sounds like a good entry for next week's newstuff.

(upload it to the archives soon!!!)

I may not have it all done by next week. Beta testing sometimes takes a while, although the level looks MUCH prettier since I've gotten pritch and Assmaster's reviews.

Thanks for the stuff guys, I'm making changes as we speak.

All right, I've heard back from most of my testers now, so as soon as I hear from myk I'm going to work on the level and then send a new beta to hear suggestions.

If you're not interested in looking over the next beta, let me know.

If you see someone's dropped out and you're interested in looking over the next beta, let me know.

Well this has been an eventful thread but I'm the only one making posts... Erm, anyway.

The new beta is done, v1.14.3, and I just sent it to everyone (except one address came back failed so I'm going to PM that person).

The new beta has a lot of changes which I particularly like, especially the outdoor area of the map. Also, the map recently hit 15,000 SideDefs, which I'm proud of. ;)

Here's a couple shots of random parts of the map. There are prettier areas, but I just decided to pick these. The shots were made smaller so I didn't post three giant images and get in trouble by mods.

Nanami said:

Well this has been an eventful thread but I'm the only one making posts... Erm, anyway.

Yeah... I know something 'bout that. Take a look on my Post with "Doom: Mercenaries" subject... there are only 4 replies, one's mine. That really pisses me off, since I put enormous work in my Project. So could you please beta test my maps, as I'm testing yours, Nanami?

Just click on my sig.

EDIT: I just finished quick-reviewing the new version of Heart, and yes! That's exactly what I had in mind. Trees, some small hill outside. It's nearly perfect at this stage, but still I have some complaints. Some paths lead to nowhere. Uhh, take a look at the screen: http://doomos.webpark.pl/screens/heart.png I don't know whether you hadn't enough time, or It was your intention, but it makes the map feel like flying somewhere in the skies. Hope you know what I mean.

The sky beyond the fence is mostly intentional. I did it because I was trying to make a horizon line, but I liked the pure sky better. As some people would say, "it fits with my style."

Anyway, I'll try and look at your wad. I'm always busy but I have an hour before class so let me glance at it...