Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XDelusion

DOOM Builder

I've finally sat down (after spending $35 on DeepSea), and had a stab at DOOM builder. While the program is still buggy and likes to crash, I have to say that I am utterly AMAZED! This makes like SOOOOOO easy. The 3D mode in insane, this is exactly what I've been dreaming of. I can only hope that the 3D mode will some day support Legacy's 3D floors too, since they do not show up correctly yet.

What are your guy's thougts on this editor?

Nice to hear you like it :) You have to thank these people too.
I wont be making support for Legacy's 3D floors though, because I want to keep the code of the editor as general as possible (any engine- or project specific things can be set with the configuration files, just copy one and alter it). But the source will soon release after I released version 1.0 of Doom Builder (which is currently being beta tested by a few while im working on some more fixes/features).

/me goes and pokes randy to make doom builder render slopes once the souce is out. :P

Source code? Kool thankx! What is it written in anyhow, something portable from OS to OS?

I wonder if the Deep team plans on taking advantage of that, or would that have some sort of moral conflict since your code is free, and he is selling what he has.

In any regard, this is shaping up to be the BEST and only DOOM editor I may ever use again. 1st I meet Tom Savini, then I get to visit a TV studio for school, and now this...

...been a great week so far. :)

yeah, I can't stand wad author anymore, with its square level creation. Its too slow for me now! :D Really gherkin, great job. Are you gonna keep updating after 1.0? :)

I'm wondering if there is the ability to go into 3d mode WITHOUT having a 3d graphics card.

Kinda like Build.

Is there an online help feature that describes the keys/how to do certain things in the editor?

Great builder. I love it

Great editor, yeah... so far I've only used it for its 3d mode though.

About showing 3d floors... you can do that by selecting Doom Legacy as your game file when you open a wad. BUT... and this sucks badly... it only works for Doom 1 wads. I looked at the Doom Legacy config but couldn't figure out how to do one for Doom 2 or one for Heretic... has anyone done that?

Also I have this to say: I really wish the 3d mode would support skies! I get tired of running through my sky-ceiling areas and seeing only the "no texture" graphic on the walls and the actual sky FLAT on the floor and ceiling. A non-changing sky background there would really look a lot better. :-/

he should make it an option then :D (seeings its an arguable matter)

XDelusion said:

I wonder if the Deep team plans on taking advantage of that, or would that have some sort of moral conflict since your code is free, and he is selling what he has.

Well presuming Gherkin releases it under a "Free" software licence (i.e. one which requires you to make the source to any derivatives available as well), then he'd have a legal as well as a moral conflict if he didn't release the sourcecode. But given how protective he is of DeepSea regarding piracy and so forth I doubt he'd do something like that. I wouldn't be suprised if he introduces a clone of DB's 3D mode though, any kind of purely diagramatic editor seems kind of obsolete compared with DoomBuilder.

Regarding the skies thing, it is sometimes difficult to get a "feel" for outside areas without the proper Doom style sky, so it would be useful to have a button to switch sky rendering on and off. But on the other hand perhaps it's not easily possible in the renderer?

Anyway, here's looking forward to v1.0!

Zell said:

yeah, I can't stand wad author anymore, with its square level creation. Its too slow for me now! :D Really gherkin, great job. Are you gonna keep updating after 1.0? :)

I haven't booted up DoomCAD since I tried Doom Builder! I was also wondering the same thing.... will Gherkin continue updating after 1.0?

will Gherkin continue updating after 1.0?

At very low priority. Im probably going to remake a very old game that I made with a friend years ago.

Regarding the skies thing;
Its very well possible with the renderer, but I dont have that planned for 1.0. Maybe it will be made later, maybe by someone else ;)

The source is mainly VB6 and some core stuff is C/C++. It will be released under GPL, so the one obtaining the source must release its project source under GPL as well.

When can we expect to do all the mapping completely in 3D mode, drawing sectors and moving lines? =)

When can we expect to do all the mapping completely in 3D mode, drawing sectors and moving lines? =)

There was someone else that came up with that idea a while ago too, but he kinda disappeared shortly after that :\

It wont be possible with Doom Builder, because DB needs the BSP tree to render the map in 3D. Without BSP, its a very tough job to render in 3D and it would be very very slow.

I know one thing, now that I have used it a bit more, I am still sticking to DeepSea as my main editor, though I still use DOOM Builder a lot too. It seems that DOOM builder handles your lines differently that DeepSea, and sometimes when you move block around, it causes a tear in the walls next to it, if not the floor at times, inwhich case DeepSea does not. I'm sure I'll figure otu the why of all this in time though, they are both GREAT editors either way, and I would not sacrifice one for the other! :)

Full 3D editing would indeed rock!

all right, here's something i've noticed but bear with me, i'm bad at explaining things so i guess i'll just say it in the simplest way i can think of. say you have Sector 1. inside Sector 1 you have Sector 2. then you want to draw Sector 3 inside 1 but outside 2. but when you do, things are referenced wrong.

say you have Sector 1. inside Sector 1 you have Sector 2. then you want to draw Sector 3 inside 1 but outside 2. but when you do, things are referenced wrong.

DB 1.0 will do this correctly ;)

Zell said:

oh yeah, copy and pasting is really buggy..

Jeez man, how long did it take you to make that? My god that looks good!

It does not seem to be Vavoom friendly AT ALL!

I just loaded up a simple Vavoom map with a simple3D floor and a couple slopes, and it cut the hell outta it when I loaded it up.

If this could be fixed, and actual Vavoom support added in, that would be pretty kool too since I'm just getting into Vavoom being that it is the only DOOM port with 3D floors and Slopes all in one.

Just following the momentum of the current posts regarding DOOM Builder (Which, I must say, is an AMAZING editor.) My only issue is having to do with drawing sectors. Back in the day when I fiddled with doom level editing I used DEU, which basically let you build EVERYTHING from the ground up; the only sectors were the ones you created, and deleting them only deleted them as a sector, not both them and everything contained within. All of the newer generation level editors I've used so far seem to build the sector at the same time you build the linedefs/lines. Anyway to get around this in DOOM Builder? Or, how do I delete the sector without deleting the sector? Hehehe. Thanks.