Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Phobia treatment

I have a phobia of dark places and of upside down heads on spider legs and rocket launcher-toting skeletons and such.

Bring on Doom 3!

Phobias are the most ridiculously easy things to cure anyway. Either a person wants a cure, or they don't. For some strange reason, people don't want to lose their phobias.

If they do want to, then it rarely takes more than a few hours to cure the strongest phobias. It's just so stupidly and ridiculously easy to do.

AndrewB said:

Phobias are the most ridiculously easy things to cure anyway. Either a person wants a cure, or they don't. For some strange reason, people don't want to lose their phobias.

If they do want to, then it rarely takes more than a few hours to cure the strongest phobias. It's just so stupidly and ridiculously easy to do.

Wow, that's one of the most ignorant things you've ever said.

heh i don't fear much. i guess i play too much doom.

well i have a social phobia but i don't think playing games will help that much :P

Spiders (had a siezure when I walked through a garden spiders web at the age of 13), heights, and drowning..

My fear of heights is weird.. its scares me to death and excites me at the same time.. I wanna sky dive someday.

yeah i guess spiders too, but i've been getting better for a long time with that one. i never understood why death is such a common fear, i think it would be kind of a nice stress remover :P

You'd have to be total whimp to be afraid of things as harmless as spiders (aside from two, reapeat, TWO poisonous ones on this planet).

That's my 1/4 of a cent.

since when does fear have to relate to deadly? as i said i don't fear death at all. a car could run me right over and i would hardly care. fears are usually irrational. i might say the same for someone who fears snakes, or enclosed spaces, or various other things. but the fact is people are usually scared of things for a reason other than that it's actually a threat.

anyway there's more than 2 poisonous spiders. brown recluse, hobo spider, black widow, and of course the deadliest of all, funnel web spiders. i'm sure there's a lot more i don't know too.

Well yes, that's the whole essence of a phobia, isn't it? i.e. fear of something that you ought not really to be scared of.

I mean, if you were about to go on safari, you wouldn't want to be cured of the perfectly legitimate fear of close contact with wild lions.

I'm a bit scared of heights, but Half-Life failed to cure that. I often ski on steep slopes with drops/cliffs nearby, but it certainly causes a bit of anxiety.

I have a phobia of those giant tropical cockroaches you find in Hawaii and apparently Disneyworld as well. :(

I can't stand spiders (especially the fleshy ones), water that I can't see the bottom of, and falling. Apparently I have no problem with hights as long as I'm secure... it's only the falling part that scares me... and as much as 2 feet is too much for me.

As stupid as that all sounds, I have no idea why I'm afraid of any of that. I pretty much always have been, and that's just the way it is.

BBG said:

Wow, that's one of the most ignorant things you've ever said.

Clichéd remark of this year.

fear of pain i guess would be mine. not physical pain, thats nothing to the pain i fear. it is caused by an anomoly in my nervous system and is well painful. hard to explain the most horrid emotion on earth. i mean its like all the bad shit u can feel combined and multiplied by 10. no way to get over it, until an effective treatment is found

Last year, when I had a seizure, I woke up in an ambulance strapped down. I could move anything. Scariest time of my life right there. I thought the taliban had me.

It fucking sucks to wake up tied down.

I think I have a phobia of being tied down.

i have the opposite of cluashtrophobia...

but i have bad arachnapohbia. Give me hell, I can't stand spiders. Or anything else that crawls/is slimey. But then again, I need to play doom3 so I guess I'll either use it as a cure and shoot any spider that I see or I'll just play the game :P

darknation said:

I'm afraid of Americans.

Great song.

i have the opposite of cluashtrophobia...

Agoraphobia.

i think by saying 'No. It is not.' he wasn't denying it was an ignorant statement, he was just making it clear he's said far more ignorant things in the past. and i agree.

sargebaldy: That's still a relatively small number compared to the total number of spider species on this planet.

Oh, and I take part of what I said back; being afraid of something as big and scary looking as a tarantula is understandable ;)

Actually, my statement was completely true, and there was practically no refutation to it. Just whining.

You may have a phobia, and you may have had it all your life, but have you really done anything to overcome it? Or have you just apathetically accepted it? Studies have shown that the average cure time for even the strongest phobias (or irrational fears) is 6 to 10 hours.

It takes, on average, 6-10 hours to completely cure a lifelong phobia. How does that measure up compared to other diseases?

Python_Junkie said:

You'd have to be total whimp to be afraid of things as harmless as spiders (aside from two, reapeat, TWO poisonous ones on this planet).

That's my 1/4 of a cent.

Eh, no.

All spiders are poisonous. Each and every single one of them.