Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
player

Weird idea

since theres so many different console versions of doom, is it possible to make a snes version of doom for pc using somethin like EDGE ?

Why would you want to make a snes doom tc?. It is complete the same, just uglier...

player said:

n64 doom was good, but snes wasnt

That's exactly the reason there was a Doom64tc in the first place, Doom64 was cool. The SNES version of Doom pales badly in comparison to (most) other versions of Doom, and is quite bad when compared to the PC version. Why, then, would you want to do a TC for what is a fairly meh version of Doom?

Because it's there.

No really, why not? We constantly emulate the COOL versions of doom. Why not try our hardest to suck at it?

Deathman said:

there's nothing new in Snes Doom.

Oh yeah. Hmm...

I couldn't see anything in this idea except novelty, now that I think about it. And if you want novelty, there's always that Nautical Jesus I have in my blog.

If you wanna make the mod, go right ahead. We need more edge mods, such as the finely done Lizard's Legacy! Get it today!

Torn said:

Why would you want to make a snes doom tc?. It is complete the same, just uglier...

And shorter, with many omissions not just in the map department.

All in all, it's pretty simple: just make ALL of the monster frames forward facing ones, use the zombie pain sound in place of the demon pain one, and replace/retexture the wall graphics so that it only offers the limited and bland assortment that SNES DOOM did...with a little ZDoom editing, you can "artificially" omit maps without actually doing so and insert the MP3 tracks to their respective levels...

You see, it's not THAT hard, is it? :D

player said:

I hear the psx music in doom is something to hear but i dunno if im correct or not...

Ya heard right, lumpy, the PSX music is indeed something to hear. There's one song in particular that's pretty spooky.

SNES Doom has more faithful copies of the map layouts than most other console ports of Doom 1... Outside of that I'd prefer any console version to SNES Doom.

And PC Doom over all of them, with possible exception of Doom 64... and a couple cool maps in PlayStation Doom. ;)

Oh yeah, and PSX Doom music is very good overall, IMHO.

Torn said:

btw, are there any wads except for PC and Mac?

Hirogen2 said:

btw, are there any wads except for PC and Mac?

Uhm, what do you mean. If you mean snes doom's levels, you should try kaiser consoledoom page (there is a download to his consoledoom wad).

hmm.. ZD does have the psx music (i forget what its called, I will look into it) but i will listen to it then convert it and make a music cd if theres any tracks i like

Yeah, at least Midway tried to make it as faithful as they could, instead of shittifying the levels, sans coolness. Like in PSX Map01 : Hangar. The computer terminals above the first steps to the depression are missing, as well as the steps leading down to them. Loads of levels are missing, like E4M2, and if they are there, they'd pale in comparison to the PC's levels. Now the PSX exclusive levels... That's a different story :P

BTW : If anyone wants me to rattle on and on about the sans-coolness parts of PSX levels, I'll be glad to PM you the whole thing in txt.

The SNES levels are just about exact copies of the PC versions, except for tiny little things like a missing texture in the computer terminal room in E1M5(SNES), but it's absolutely spectacular for a 12 MHz system running a game that at least needs 66 MHz, but SNES Doom kinda fucked with the FLATs. What am I saying, there are no flats to be found!

Oh and for those of you were wondering ;

The SNES Doom cart contains an updated version of the Wolfenstein 3D source. A few examples are (1)when you stand on a ledge and run across the ledge, you will pick up the item below the ledge, (2) there are absolutely no flats, (3) it displays your current weapon instead of weapons in the status bar, and (4) there are only 6 weapons (no BFG ; Wolfenstein on the SNES contained only 6 as well).

I dare you to ask me to get on about the PSX levels.

player : The MP3 Versions of the PSX music are on the Doom Depot site, under DOOM MUSIC (duh), so just search for Doom depot under a search engine like google.com.

The SNES Doom levels are quite different from the originals. The texturing is completely different in places, and in some maps, entire sections were removed or redone. As for the weapons, I count 7 in SNES Doom, unless berserk/fist or the chainsaw was removed.

Darkhaven3 said:

I dare you to ask me to get on about the PSX levels.

So, what's wrong with the PSX Doom levels?

DooMBoy said:

So, what's wrong with the PSX Doom levels?

many levels had been chopped down to fit on the psx CD. Levels like Pandemonium and Command Center has been slaughtered completly. And some levels like Downtown, And Hell Followed, and Icon of Sin are gone too.

But many Doom1 levels in PSX Doom looks a lot better than the oringinals IMO. Containment Area is a good example.

Alot. Not saying they're that bad, but they kinda follow the originals loosely. Like MAP01, PSX:

Walls are STARGR1 or STARTAN1. In the PC version, they're STARTAN3, BROWN1, COMPUTE1(i think), COMPBLUE, BROWNGRN, BROWN96, or SLADWALL. In the PC, there's some computer consoles above the steps leading down to the blue-floored depression. In the PSX, the floor is replaced (PSX : FLOOR5_3, PC : FLAT14), and the steps with computer terminals are completely omitted. The STARTAN3 and STARTAN2 textures are not found anywhere in the game, but in the PC version, they're everywhere!

Next : E1M2. In the PSX, the textures are very bland and ugly with no variety at all. Now in the PC, the map is very well detailed and has plenty of texture variety. Also, the outdoor part runs very slow on the PSX. The architecture remains unchanged for the most part.

E1M3. Textures in PSX are very ugly and too dark, causing the player to often hit corners when he or she thinks they're getting somewhere. There is absolutely no texture variety at all. Now, in the PC, there's some texture variety, but it's kinda iffy. The PC version actually has height changes for god's sake. I mean, in the PSX, the nuke pit is almost up to the floor!

E1M4. Texturing is alright, but doesn't exactly fit the theme. If it were that theme, the textures would be perfect, but I don't see any connection between the BIGBRIK1 texture and STARG3. Architecture isn't very different.

E1M5. Textures are alright, see E1M4. The PC fits the theme well, but the PSX isn't too good with that. Architecture isn't very different.

E1M6. Textures kinda fit the theme, but it's supposed to be a computer lab, not a toxin refinery! Architecture is different, but only occasionally is there a noticable change. PC is still more detailed, though.

E1M7. Absolutely perfect! Architecture isn't a whole lot different.

E1M8. Fits theme very well, architecture is only somewhat different.
This level has good changes to it.

That's all for episode 1. Want me to go on?

Deathman said:

many levels had been chopped down to fit on the psx CD. Levels like Pandemonium and Command Center has been slaughtered completly. And some levels like Downtown, And Hell Followed, and Icon of Sin are gone too.

But many Doom1 levels in PSX Doom looks a lot better than the oringinals IMO. Containment Area is a good example.

The slaughter of levels began on the Jaguar. The PSX just mimicked the cuts.

Job said:

The slaughter of levels began on the Jaguar. The PSX just mimicked the cuts.

DingDingDing!
Yeah, the chopping up happened with the Sega32X and Jaguar ports.
The 24 watered-down maps in the JagDoom mapset were then just cut-n-pasted into a bunch of later ports.

Darkhaven3 said:

player[/b] : The MP3 Versions of the PSX music are on the Doom Depot site, under DOOM MUSIC (duh), so just search for Doom depot under a search engine like google.com.

Or he could just go directly to it :P