Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Props for Quake

I'm more surprised at the previous article. I mean I never would have guess that Bionic Commando would be their choice. It was a very fun game, and certainly different, but the best of all time?

It doesn't say its #1, actually. Gamespot just has a weekly list of games they think are the best and thy keep adding games to it. Kinda funny how Quakes' description sort of says DOOM is better... except they say that the special thing in Quake is DM (where in my opinion DOOM is much more fun.) I guess you could say it's had a lot of influence, but you may as well give credit to the expansion of the internet itself for the increased range of multi-player possibilities exploited by Quake... not to diss Quake though, it's a pretty excellent game.

Ichor said:

I'm more surprised at the previous article. I mean I never would have guess that Bionic Commando would be their choice. It was a very fun game, and certainly different, but the best of all time?

Indeed, I would never have chosen the unsung grappling hero over some of the more deserving titles, but maybe it was just the desire of many for a sequel, hehe. It's a good game, but there are many more games that are in a higher echelon, IMO.

As for Quake, it's one of the most important games ever in regards to online multiplayer. (EDIT: gonna experience some backlash from that line, but that's from personal experience. I owe over 5 years of online gaming to Quake, which is painful to think about, but it was fun while it lasted :).

As myk said, there's nothing about "#1" in all this. Quite possibly Doom will also be featured in due course.

"Top # games of all time" lists are stupid. It's just the opinion of a bunch of people who work there portrayed like it's the concrete truth. They could at least take a poll or something.

Dunbar said:

"Top # games of all time" lists are stupid. It's just the opinion of a bunch of people who work there portrayed like it's the concrete truth. They could at least take a poll or something.

The idea that ""Top # games of all time" lists are stupid. It's just the opinion of a bunch of people who work there portrayed like it's the concrete truth. They could at least take a poll or something." is stupid. It's just the opinion of some random retard who thinks it's the concrete truth. He could at least take a poll or something.

Electro said:

yea, Doom should be #1... without it, Quake wouldn't exist.

By that logic, Wolfenstein 3D should be #1.

NiGHTMARE said:

By that logic, Wolfenstein 3D should be #1.

And by that logic, Command Keen should be #1!!!!11

heh. Fun list. I agree with the StarCraft thing ;)

Now that we're at gamelists. Check this out. Some stuff I find interesting:

One

I agree completely. BioForge is one of the mest overlooked games ever. Everything about the game was awesome. The graphics were amazing for the time and the backdrops still are incredible. The art of the game left you drooling for hours on end. The rendered backgrounds were breathtaking. The story of the game was also a strong point. Not only was it an interesting concept, but the amount of detail was nothing short of amazing. Had this game been not been overlooked, it would be up there with Doom, Quake and Half-Life in all those "Top 10 games" lists. As you can probably guess, RTC-3057 borrows quite a lot of ideas from BioForge.

Two

Indeed! I've played quite a lot of Doom Coop. I still haven't found a coop game as fun as Doom.

Three

Again. A unique hero who's not just another soldier.

Four

As cool as Half-Life was, as bad was the last few levels. The whole Xen thing was ridiculous, badly designed and incredibly annoying. I didn't mind the "Time to choose, Freeman" ending, though.

Five

Yes! Doom should indeed be remade...wait? what are you saying? It is!? Cool! :)

Six

Even though I would not place this in a top ten, the black mesa facility was pretty cool.

Seven

I think the Cyberdemon would be a better choice.

Eight

Absolutely! The best soundtrack ever (alongside Doom2)

Fredrik said:

The idea that ""Top # games of all time" lists are stupid. It's just the opinion of a bunch of people who work there portrayed like it's the concrete truth. They could at least take a poll or something." is stupid. It's just the opinion of some random retard who thinks it's the concrete truth. He could at least take a poll or something.

Now that was a witty turnaround.

Well, there could be worse things than Quake. Much worse.

Quake is certainly up there with the best. It's not a patch on Doom IMO but it was very moody, very pretty and felt a bit special. Much more so than Quake 2 anyway.