Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Rising gate trick

OK, there's something I'm stumped on. How do I make a one line sector? I've looked at your dummyfx level Ichor and I can't figure it out. :\

make your dummy sector. then have a two sided line with both sides refering to that dummy sector.

Yep, good bag of tricks, that tutorial. :) Still haven't explained all the tricks in ikspecial, though. Grr . . .

Grimm said:
Yep, good bag of tricks, that tutorial. :) Still haven't explained all the tricks in ikspecial, though. Grr . . .

The one still missing from those tutorials is the room-over-room trick... but you can find the explanation in Nick's 'true 3D' thread.

OK, I got the rising gate trick to work, and it's quite cool. The only problem is that I get HOM off to sides of the door.

Do you mean a HOM when the gate was rising? That's common when you DON'T use dummy sectors. For the longest time my rising gates and laser bars did that, plus I had to create "pads" to activate them, because I used a W1 ceiling.

I have yet to check out how Ichor did the rising gate without HOM, but I found another trick the other day. I think I first saw it used in Dark 7 (it had lasers right?) and I thought it was just a ZDoom trick, but it's not. Instead of making your gate with a ceiling one unit off the floor, you make its floor one unit under the ceiling. The gate texture line has negative offsets now and it's also lower unpegged. Then you have a single dummy sector connected to your gate sector that has a ceiling equal to the surrounding floor. Then your switch is "up to lowest ceiling." It's like the popup monster trick where you go DOWN to HIGHEST floor, but here the gate goes down instantly. It's perfect for laser bars. Best of all, you can even have a shootable switch that does it.

netnomad312 said:

Do you mean a HOM when the gate was rising? That's common when you DON'T use dummy sectors. For the longest time my rising gates and laser bars did that, plus I had to create "pads" to activate them, because I used a W1 ceiling.

I meant HOM off to the sides of the door, as in where the lower unpegged doortraks should be. For whatever reason the doortraks don't show up as anything but HOM, but once the gate rises, the HOM disappears.

I have yet to check out how Ichor did the rising gate without HOM, but I found another trick the other day. I think I first saw it used in Dark 7 (it had lasers right?) and I thought it was just a ZDoom trick, but it's not. Instead of making your gate with a ceiling one unit off the floor, you make its floor one unit under the ceiling. The gate texture line has negative offsets now and it's also lower unpegged. Then you have a single dummy sector connected to your gate sector that has a ceiling equal to the surrounding floor. Then your switch is "up to lowest ceiling." It's like the popup monster trick where you go DOWN to HIGHEST floor, but here the gate goes down instantly. It's perfect for laser bars. Best of all, you can even have a shootable switch that does it.

Heh, that sounds rather nice. I should try that some time.

DooMBoy said:

I meant HOM off to the sides of the door, as in where the lower unpegged doortraks should be. For whatever reason the doortraks don't show up as anything but HOM, but once the gate rises, the HOM disappears.

Make the door so each side is 2 units away from the walls, but not connecting to them, as connecting them to the walls screws it up.

What I do is use a diamond-shape sector, connected to the centers of the "doortrak" lines. This way the only connection is a vertex and thus you get no HOMs. The diamond's bisected by a single line that has the gate/laser texture on it (both its sides refrence the diamond sector).

Just to add another way of doing it (which I don't think was mentioned on the tut Mordeth linked to) - if your level can use BOOM lindefs, use transfer heights to make the door sector look open (I usually just make one of the door jamb lines a transfer heights), stick your transparent texture on the door middle, offset it's Y value to push the texture up into the visible area making it look like a gate/whatever. You're done.

This will never show a HOM either, because the door sector never actually looks as if it moves - just the grate texture. You can do this with a normal door - no need for hidden sector, no need to raise anything by 1 unit and no need to miss off textures from side defs - which your error checker may object to.