Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Rising gate trick vs GL

I guess this could have gone in the other thread, except this isn't a "how to." I once asked how this was done, found out and also did another trick using laser bars... but that's another story.

When I first figured it out, it had HOMs because I wasn't using dummy sectors. I was told (as I had been several times before in other situations) to use a new node builder. Also it was about that time that I noticed the random HOMs I got in GL ports. My opinion at that time? Screw GL.

My opinion now is still "Screw GL," but for a different reason. I got glBSP a month or two ago, and I've used it on occasion to see how my wads look in GL. This is not a problem with most wads... but with the megawad I'm working on, I swear it adds nearly an extra MB in GL nodes.

But that's not the only problem. The biggest problem is the rising gates. Instead of showing no texture around the bars (where technically there is AASHITTY), it shows a solid wall texture... STONE2 I believe.

Why in the world would it show STONE2 in a place where I clearly did not use it? In fact I'm hard pressed to find a time I EVER used that texture in the 24 levels I've worked on so far. Is there some way to get around this? Because otherwise, it's "Screw GL."

I know this problem happens in Legacy (in GL mode anyway), and according to a friend who's played the wad, it also occurs in jDoom.

netnomad312 said:

My opinion at that time? Screw GL.

nah...screw Legacy.

Its possible to do this trick in Jdoom, although I can't seem to remember atm...

netnomad312 said:

My opinion now is still "Screw GL," but for a different reason. I got glBSP a month or two ago, and I've used it on occasion to see how my wads look in GL. This is not a problem with most wads... but with the megawad I'm working on, I swear it adds nearly an extra MB in GL nodes.

Any port that can use GL nodes can build them itself so the larger size shouldn't be an issue.

Furthermore, I have to agree with Deathman: Screw Legacy. Its OpenGL renderer is pure crap and probably the one renderer one should not use to test a level. No other port shows so many visual anomalies than OpenGL Legacy.

Instead of NOT using a texture, use a full cyan patch for those "missing" upper/lower textures. Problem solved.

I was using AASHITTY for those places... but yeah, I could also try that. In fact I believe I once put in a texture I called "Cyan," but never did use it...

EDIT: Bah, nope. I downloaded jDoom, and instead of STONE2 I see SLIME15 there - the flat around that sector. When I tried putting in my cyan texture in place of AASHITTY, all I saw was black. And this is even after I built GL nodes.

DooMBoy said:

Stick with software, GL fails it for fake 3d stuff.

True, and that's been my attitude all this time. But I still hope to fix it, to avoid ever getting emails from people who never read the text file anyway, and go ahead saying "OMFG I see no lazer bars just brik!!!!!111"

DooMBoy said:

Stick with software, GL fails it for fake 3d stuff.

It's a real shame that so many OpenGL-Doom programmers don't give a shit about compatibility. :-(

Graf Zahl said:

It's a real shame that so many OpenGL-Doom programmers don't give a shit about compatibility. :-(

in their defense, all these "special effects" are hacks that exploit strange aspects of doom's renderer.

mewse said:

in their defense, all these "special effects" are hacks that exploit strange aspects of doom's renderer.

Ok, but stupidly replacing missing textures with something is not so good. Many of these effects can be done in OpenGL with a little thinking.