Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

Marswar demos/demoset

Thanks for the improved demos. I like the way this demoset is shaping up.

I'll take map04.

This is a legacy 1.40 demo of marswar, map 14 - time 9:01.

This was another enjoyable map. Quite a bit of variety and interesting gameplay. Certainly not lean on ammo or health but still easy to get killed.

mw140901.zip

:)
btw, there is no pressing need to improve any of the submitted demos. feel free to better mine if you wish though....

Yes, we should only improve our times if we find it fun to do so. But if anyone spots any gross errors in mine (e.g. major shortcuts missed), please say so.

One more done: Map04 UV Max (4:52). Comments welcome.

mw04-452.zip

Grazza said:

One more done: Map04 UV Max (4:52). Comments welcome.

I've recently watched your maps 3, 4 and 6 lmps.

I think they're all very good. Your pace is excellent and your gameplay is quite interesting to watch. Very deadly!

Funny, I'm so burned out from this cold and your movement is so fast, I get visually exhausted just trying to follow you. :)

Rich said:

Funny, I'm so burned out from this cold and your movement is so fast, I get visually exhausted just trying to follow you. :)

I'll take that as a compliment, but hope you get well soon! Funny thing is, I also find that they look much faster when watching them afterwards than they did when I was recording them, and was focused on the task itself. I'm sure a psychologist could explain exactly what is going on there. :)

I just took and completed a very easy one - map 2.

At this point I need to take one or two weeks off to rest my cold. I"ll release any hold on map 26 in the event someone wants to try it, else I'll finish it when I"m rested.

This is a legacy 1.40 max lmp of map 2, marswar.wad - time 3:41.

I plan to take a short break to get some rest but I though I would complete this extremely simple map to move us one step closer to completing the megawad.

mw020341.zip

My gosh when you sink your teeth into a project you really go after it. Just grabbed the demo. I am sure I am going to love it, just like all the others. Thanks

Searcher said:

My gosh when you sink your teeth into a project you really go after it. Just grabbed the demo. I am sure I am going to love it, just like all the others. Thanks

Thank's for watching the demos and I appreciate your comments. :)

This is a legacy 1.40 max lmp of marswar, map 26 - time 16:02.

For me this was one of the more difficult levels as concerns getting a decent time.

The opening challenge is interesting both in gameplay and reduced ammo. Finding a resolution was a bit of fun. The ammo situation is resolved once beyond the initial stages.

This was designed to be played differently as there are three cell packs that I left behind. My opening play resolved that need.

Fun map overall.

Btw... unlike doom2 and prboom, legacy does not have a limit on skulls so things can get out of hand rather quickly.

mw261602.zip

Yes, cunning route in that map26 demo. :)

I'll take map08. I'll probably need to turn my route upside-down a few times before I'm happy with it though.

Grazza said:

Yes, cunning route in that map26 demo. :)

Thank you.

You should have seen the first time I tried it. I run past the PEs and dropped down into that hole figuring I'd take care of them when I returned. Well, when that happened, it was quite a sight to see. The sky was filled with skulls, and they were angry!

Of course with skull limits it would be a bit easier using another port.

Legacy's removal of that limit does disturb the balance quite a bit on some maps. I'd be very interested to see a UV -fast on Doom2 map09 recorded in Legacy, for instance.

Having said that, I've encountered a few situations where the limit hinders the player. If you'd like the PEs to be killed by fighting with their own lost souls for instance, or in one silly pacifist I tried where I was relying on lost souls to kill a boss brain (after the player dies), but it kept failing because there were already 21 lost souls in a stable matrix.

Just grabbed it. I am very interested to see how you handled this very difficult opening sequence. It had me pulling my hair out. I am sure the answer was right there and I just didn't see it. Your strategies almost always work very very well. See what the extra planning does. Instead of just stumbling around Like I do about half the time.

This is a legacy 1.40 lmp of marswar, map 17 - time 8:59.

Another interesting map. Also varied in it's challenges.

This is my 17th and probably final lmp of this megawad as there is only 1 map left to record.

While obviously not a difficult megawad, I started recording a few lmps for fun with the idea of trying to support this forum. Despite other priorities, Grazza added his support and recorded several and even Opulent strayed from his many responsibilities (DSDA, etc. etc.) to add his support with a couple of lmps.:)

Like most, I tend to enjoy wads with a greater volume and selection of more challenging monsters but, I'm reminded, a good mix and placement of any type enemy can offer interesting gameplay.

That's not to say you won't find these monster types here. Rather, you won't find them in the volume that seems more consistent with modern day megawads.

mw170859.zip

Cool, Got it! With any luck someone may do the last one. Number 10 is it?

Anyway, I have sure enjoyed the work that you and Grazza and Opulent have put into this series. That is great support, from some fine players for this mapset.

So, thanks Rich, and thanks to all who have participated in the demo set. Off to the next project.

Thanks Gene!

Actually, I was hoping you would do the last one. :)

Just kidding, I know the timing is not good for you.

haven't even looked at map10, if it's not too long, I'll work on it... (note: I'm not claiming it!)

Opulent said:

haven't even looked at map10, if it's not too long, I'll work on it... (note: I'm not claiming it!)

:)

Someone will do map10, that's for sure. It isn't a quick one, and a route will take some working out. I have played this map, but haven't done any real work on a route (apart from deciding that you'd probably start by heading for the berserk and blue armour secret). I'll be very busy until next Monday (due to "real" work, and T/nC #153). I'll leave it free until then; if no one claims it (and please, feel very free!), expect an MW10 by me in about a week's time.

I have found these maps pretty interesting for Max runs. While it is not in general difficult to exit each map with 100% kills and secrets, doing so quickly and efficiently has been by no means simple. This has often involved skipping lots of stuff and getting in the thick of some Tyson action. This has made some of the runs rather tricky.