Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

The Basics of Editing

I just got Doom Builder version 1.0, and this is the first time I'm using an Editor, but damnit... Doom Builder does not come with a readme, where can I go to learn the ABCs of Doom editing?

Note that I am completely new to editing, so terms like nodes and BSP are a complete mystery to me.

Websites... gimme gimme gimme.

Converted DOOMer said:

.... where can I go to learn the ABCs of Doom editing?

Also, look on the Tutorials page at this site.

I've studied most of the basic terminologies like cramming for an exam, and pretty much nailed down the basics (ie nodes, linedefs, sectors), and even made a functioning single room with an exit (yea!).

But ultimately, the information from the tutorial lacked the technical specifics that's needed to create more. Things like teleporters, creating doors, switches linked to triggers, tags, etc...

This burning question will be the first of dozens I ask as my knowledge progresses: How do you create a fully functioning teleporter? I created a linedef for a teleporter, but using Doom Builder 1.0 I could not find a mean to link the (teleporting linedef) to the (teleporter destination). If anyone with higher skills can answer this, I'd really apprieciate this.

Should have joined the Doom community years ago. heh.

Converted DOOMer said:

I could not find a mean to link the (teleporting linedef) to the (teleporter destination).

tag values, probably.

you need to tag the sector the destination is in with the same tag the teleport linedef has

Converted DOOMer said:
But ultimately, the information from the tutorial lacked the technical specifics that's needed to create more. Things like teleporters, creating doors, switches linked to triggers, tags, etc

Again, check out the FAQs.

For your specific question on how to make a teleporter:
(1) Assign a teleporter trigger to a linedef
(2) Tag this teleporter trigger to the sector where you want to teleport to.
(3) Place a TELEPORT THING in that destination sector. This TP Thing is the location where you will spawn after teleportation, facing the same direction where the TP Thing is facing.

Some good advice: open up the original Doom levels in your editor and see how they made specific features. Eg. if you want to know how to make raising stairs, then open up map08 to see how it's done there. This is how I learned the basics of editing.

[Offtopic]

Mordeth, please get my email address from the untility pages? And you could remove the version number from Doom Builder too, but you dont hear me whining about such detail ;)

[/Offtopic]

Converted DOOMer said:

Now my room has a teleporter, a bull demon, and an exit switch :)

Hah your first level is already better than mine was!

That first room is a stepping stone to something wayyy bigger...

My plan is to create something like AV in three years, that is, if somebody besides me still plays classic Doom instead of blowing their minds to the wonders of Doom III...

Yes, it's a very, very hard objective, but it can be done. Make it four years. 2007-2008-ish