sargebaldy

grenade launcher

grenade launcher type  

10 members have voted

1. 1. grenade launcher type

• i like it how it is now best
    • make it more like the quake grenade launcher
    • i don\'t even play skulltag, why am i in this forum

what's your thoughts on the skulltag grenade launcher? i think it shoots too far and too fast, making really fun bounces impossible. i think a short range weapon with more damage ala quake's grenade launcher would be much more fun. what does everyone else think?

I don't play SkullTag. Why am I in this forum? Where am I?! Who am I?!? What does my existance mean?!?! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the Quake launcher like anyway?

it fires out only about 20 feet or so maybe, but if it hits something it's going to rip the shit out of it. and it's more fun for firing just around corners, if you try that with skulltag's grenade launcher who knows where it'll end up. the grenades are probably a touch bigger too. they also respond to gravity.

When I asked, Carn said the ST grenades used LOGRAV, FLOORBOUNCE (Doombounce, that is), and have a certain time before they explode. To make the Quake-style grenade he'd have to code some new codepointers or something. Might be neat though.

sargebaldy said:

and it's more fun for firing just around corners, if you try that with skulltag's grenade launcher who knows where it'll end up.

Who knows where it will end up? Um, Skulltag's grendes always fire at the same speed and go through the same bouncing algorithm every time they strike a wall. There is no variation, thus you can easily adapt to how Skulltag's grenades work and calculate what angle you need to aim at, etc. to place them where you want.

There is no fundamental reason why you couldn't know where a grenade would end up in Skulltag, but you magically could in other games. Lack of skill is the only possible reason for this.

sargebaldy said:

skill? st grenades are a giant spamfest. i think they're too powerful really.

Just do what you do against any profile weapon. Stay out of range so they're ineffective, and dodge them. You can't get too close to grenade users. The minigun and railgun counter grenade usage quite well.

Mostly it's a matter of physics and what's already implimented.

Firstly, physics. Doom's physics aren't that spectacular, and the LOGRAV big simply makes the gravity on the grenades 1/3, so they don't jut straight into the ground when shot (One of the weapons in WolfenDoom did this, it was ridiculous).

In order to change how it works, one would need to make new bits and changes to the physics. Lowering the gravity does make it work better but it also means it will travel much farther given launch angles. Also, sometimes, it will seem to fall much too slow. It's a double-bladed sword.

Secondly, what's already been implimented. The grenade launcher has been in SkullTag for a long time now, and changing it would be rather silly. Graphics are one thing, but how things work since they've been added isn't something you should change. Old levels (Wart for example) would behave differently if the weapons were changed.

After I played Void I saw what Cyb had done with my dark imps and rather enjoyed it, and considered suggesting it to Carn as a monster change (they shot two different fireballs at random; there was about a 20% chance they'd shoot a red fireball that caused a lot more damage (knight from Heretic)) but since SkullTag had been released and levels had been made including the imp, a change would upset some people.

I think at this point mostly what we can ask for is new editing support. Carn could probably code in a new bounce system and some alternative to 1/3 gravity, but we can't expect him to include it in any existing weapons. However, adding it as a new bit for DeHacked mods would be rather nice.

Carnevil said:

There is no variation, thus you can easily adapt to how Skulltag's grenades work and calculate what angle you need to aim at, etc. to place them where you want.

What he said. Bouncing a grenade around a corner is really easy, and if you want to lay a grenade trail to slow someone who's chasing after you, try firing low to the ground. The grenade will bounce up slowly and detonate after a second or two, not far from where it hit the ground.