Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Doom3 at least four months away

Over lunch, Jen-Hsun and Todd discussed the current state of the graphics card industry and where things were heading as we looked towards the future. Here, each identified the trend that both R&D budgets and lead times would be increasing dramatically as the technology and games become more and more complex. Todd then went on to discuss some of the most interesting aspects of Doom3. Although no release date was provided (albeit he did hint that it was at least four months away), he confirmed that Doom3’s installation size would likely exceed 3GB. In addition, the game would be locked with a hard-coded 60fps ceiling. Given how taxing this engine has proven to be in the early glimpses we have seen, that limit will still be difficult to reach by most hardware. Speaking of hardware, Todd informed the audience that the development platforms for Doom3 were all using GeForce FX graphics cards. This should erase any doubts of NVIDIA cards and their ability to run Doom3.

So I quess nothing to expect on Doom's 10th aniversity. And more than 3GB! that means about 5 cd's! Jeez.

Picture of tod & Hellnight is here

Speaking of hardware, Todd informed the audience that the development platforms for Doom3 were all using GeForce FX graphics cards.

Advertisement.

I like the updated textures on the HK. Man the Doom3 logo looks lame as fuck, lol.

Fredrik said:

Advertisement.

Not to mention the pic itself. Maybe Nvidia is sponsoring Id with free hardware.

3 GB of game data, that's a lot. Especially considering it's compressed into PK3/PK4/PKwhatever files. I will most likely go for the DVD version.

Damn, i hoped ID was secretly planing to release it on the 10th anniversary, but not tell anyone (except the retailers) and i was to walk into GAME and just wander past the shelf and see Doom 3 sitting there laughing at me, till i realise its not an illusion. :D

I dont know after awhile it does start getting old but at the same time, i wish we had a some decent Fricking evidence about the release date so we could all get over it and shut the hell up.

How much can you overburn a CD? I know Deus Ex did that (plus having several levels, textures etc that couldn't be added in on time but were on the disk), but I can't think of any other games that overburnt their CD(s).

I want the game on DVD. 5 CD's? Fuck. But the article mentions 'installation size'. Doesn't that mean that, when compressed on an install CD(s), the size will be a lot smaller, thus the game will need less than 5 CD's?

No, because the data in the game is still compressed (like the PK3's in Quake3), so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Arno said:

No, because the data in the game is still compressed (like the PK3's in Quake3), so it doesn't make much of a difference.

I don't know how Quake 3 handles compression, but the only thing that would make sense would be to use a slow, powerful compression on the install CDs/DVD and a lightweight, fast compression for the installed game. The reason is that reading plain data from disk still is faster than reading and unpacking compressed data in real time, and that loading times should be a much bigger concern than disk space (most people with a computer capable of running Doom 3 adequately certainly have a hard drive in the 60GB+ range).

For those who have downloaded the leaked, you know that more than 1Go of gamedata could be compressed to 400 Mo.
You could have a 35% comperssion rate.
So, i assume that the game will be handle by 2 CDs if 3go.

Fredrik said:

I don't know how Quake 3 handles compression

The Quake3 engine uses PK3 files, which are simply renamed ZIP files. A ZIP file can have different levels of compression. The load times aren't that bad as any decent CPU doesn't have much trouble with the relatively simple ZIP compression.

WhileIM said:

For those who have downloaded the leaked, you know that more than 1Go of gamedata could be compressed to 400 Mo.
You could have a 35% comperssion rate.
So, i assume that the game will be handle by 2 CDs if 3go.

The leaked consisted of a large collection of seperate files. If Todd is refering to 3 GB of compressed PK3 files, then you're gonna have a hard time compressing that much further. I doubt you could reach an 80% compression rate.

Lord FlatHead said:

To everyone who doesn't have a DVD drive in their pc's yet : hello and welcome to three years ago.

Hi there.

Lord FlatHead said:
hello and welcome to three years ago.

Nice to know, hey. I don't have... hmm, a printer; what year am I in?

I assume that they will probobly release a DVD and CD version, like back in the days of the floppy, when you could get the 7 floppys or the 1 cd, depending on your drive status. Or maybe they'll release them in the same box, so you have a choice, like SuSE Linux.

Bah, the game'll come out whenever it feels like it. As for the poster, it seems like the hell knight is Doom III's new poster child, as opposed to, say, the cyberdemon or baron of hell. Interesting.

Job said:

Bah, the game'll come out whenever it feels like it. As for the poster, it seems like the hell knight is Doom III's new poster child, as opposed to, say, the cyberdemon or baron of hell. Interesting.

I disagree they are basically only showing us the stuff you can see in the alpha and some other bs. The cyberdemon may end up right on the front cover of the packaging who knows yet.

That occured to me, but why not try to hype the game up a bit more. They're keeping too much from us.

Job said:

That occured to me, but why not try to hype the game up a bit more. They're keeping too much from us.

You mean like the alpha? When that got leaked, they probably decided to add even MORE to the game so people would STILL see plenty of surprises and it would get good reviews so even more people would buy it after the initial release. So yeah, keeping stuff from us now is actually a good marketing strategy. Hype can only take you so far. Relying on surprise might be risky, but the potential benefit is pretty extreme.

The thing is, they HAVEN'T put it in the public eye all that much. Not to the extent of releasing 3000 screenshots and gameplay movies like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or 600 megs of gameplay footage like HL2.

I mean, sure, they leak and dribble screenshots of a fairly limited range of things, like the imp, some of the various zombie civilians and zombie soldiers, a pinky demon, and a few more monsters, once every six months or so. But they released no gameplay movies whatsoever, and what gameplay they did demonstrate was to a fairly limited number of people (QuakeCon 2003, and some highly selective presentations).

Leaving aside the alpha, what have they shown us, really?

Even considering the alpha, we haven't seen much. 3 weapons, 3 map snippets, 2 types of zombie civilians, 2 types of zombie soldiers, pinky, imps, and hell knight. And considering that we're more than a year since the presentation of that E3 demo which presented so little of what the game will be, really, what, really, have we seen of the game?

We're doing all the hyping for id. And that's the way they appear to like it at this point.

And personally, I'd like to wait until the game is out and I'm playing it on my newly completed gaming rig before I see the fantastic sights I'm quite sure they have in store.

maybe id's artificially extending the expected date for doom3, just to spring it as a surprise when it's out for doomsday

(hope springs eternal)