Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

What's [sic] mean?

I've always wondering about this..

I'm guessing it's to note an omission of strong language?

i.e. "blah blah [sic] blah blah."

This is probably the definition (from Fredrik's link) that you're looking for:

Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

The use of square brackets is to show that it isn't a part of the quote itself, even though it appears within the quotation marks.

Ok thanks..

So is it for the whole phrase -

"I am an horeible lingwist and I cna't spel. [sic]"

Or is it only for one word in a phrase -

"I am a horrible linguist and I cna't [sic] spell."

Or is it for everytime a incorrect word is presented -

"I am an[sic] horeible [sic] lingqist[sic] and I cna't [sic] spel [sic]"

Or lastly, like the dictionary.com definition - when you intentionally spell somethign wrong -

"I'm intenchianally [sic] spelling that word wrong."

If a whole passage is full of errors and weird usage, you'd probably put it at the end (and you could put it outside the quotes), rather than after each error. If there is just one error (or a small number in a longer quote) that you want to point out, then put it immediately after it, in square brackets. The latter is, I believe, more common.

SIC = Synthetic Idol Crafters

Back when I played Ultima Online I had a guild named that and I gave friends titles like Chief of Propaganda, Forger of Holy Text, Priest of Avarice, etc.

This is probably a better definition from the same webpage that Fredrik provided:

sic

\Sic\, adv. [L.] Thus.

Note: This word is sometimes inserted in a quotation [sic], to call attention to the fact that some remarkable or inaccurate expression, misspelling, or the like, is literally reproduced