Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainWinky

Anyone have their D!Zone 1 CD handy?

I bought the old D!Zone CD which was chock full of WADs and other amusements not long after I got Doom 2. One of the best features on this CD is a text file full of level reviews. It gives the reader a glimpse into what Doom was like before proper texture alignment was expected in WADs. :) Some of the reviews were downright hilarious, especially one for a level which consisted of four narrow spires which held four player spawns and shotguns, with lava below to kill anyone who fell off. That's it. That's the level. The reviewer ripped on the WAD mercilessly--I was in tears from laughing.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced my D!Zone CD, and Googling for the reviews yields nothing. Can anyone with this CD send me the file (I think it was "reviews.txt" or something) or, better yet, post it for everyone to enjoy? My email is captainwinky42@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Ah, hell, this thread has got me all nostalgic. I think I'm going to go hunt down some old WADs.

Heh, yeah I have that CD somewhere as well but I can't find it, even though I want to play some of those.

Classics

CW's post reminded me of TNSPIRES.WAD. Sound right? That must be the level. But I have all three D!Zone CDROMs and none of them have WAD reviews.
Check out reviews.doc at the URL myk gave. That's probably what you're looking for - I don't remember ever seeing another TNSPIRES review anywhere.

Imp said:

? Isnt that like asking for warez?

Not if the reviews were freely available material that was simply among that collected by WizardWorks and put on their CD - which is most likely the case.

Besides I don't see how anything ever released on the D!Zone series could have any warez potential. All the WADs were scooped off BBSs and FTPs, with the exception of the demos of Hell2Pay and Perdition Gate. As for those two, with WW long gone they fall into the abandonware category.
Ditto for the frontend, D!. Not that latter-day mouselooking kidz would be able to run it anyway - "wtf is the command prompt?"...

The demo/limited versions of perdgate and hell2pay needn't be regarded as warez/abandonwarez, given that they were made freely available.

At least I hope they are not, given that I have linked to them in the past. :0

I'll paraphrase my point.

It has been some five-six years since both were readily available via (r)etail channels. WizardWorks is defunct, don't expect re-issues any time soon.

Hence, abandonware.

It doesn't matter. What matters is what it says on the documentation of the add-on. If it says it can't be distributed or that it can only be acquired through the authors or publishers under whatever means, then we (the users) won't (re)distribute it.

Text files and license docs should always be respected, unless they somehow abuse another author.

In any case, as it's been discussed here before, what one could question is whether selling DOOM add-ons for profit is acceptable. That's what Wizardworks chose to do (especially with those two add-ons), so now as a result their add-ons are forgotten because they restricted their means of distribution. That's the price those add-ons pay for their authors' choice. And does it really matter? They might be okay, but then again there are thousands of add-ons to play instead, that were distributed under more appropriate means.

D!Zone's CDs never contained copyrighted material, but was a collection of user-made WADs they downloaded for free from BBS / web. You could argue that you paid for the distribution and the reviews on that CD, but. So I don't have a problem with people asking for it here, as is evident from the absence of a CaptainWinky-shaped hole in the Universe.

Never_Again said:

Hence, abandonware.

Just to clarify: I was saying that the "limited editions" of these wads can, AFAIK, be freely distributed - no problem of any kind. Not (abandon)warez.

The full versions are a different matter.

First up, sorry for dredging up such an old post. A long time ago I had a D!Zone CD which had demo versions of Perdition's Gate and Hell2Pay, both of which seemed pretty good back then.

However, despite my best efforts (including buying all sorts of Doom compilation CDs, "Death Match", "Ultimate Doom Utilities" etc), I couldn't for the life of me find the full versions.

I did eventually track down a copy of both games (in a bargain bin in an Electronics Boutique store in Canterbury 7 years ago) and until I stumbled across my Perdition's Gate CD just now I'd forgotten all about them. Here's the readme.txt file - notice how it only forbids distributing the *unprocessed* WAD files, not the final perdgate.wad that gets spat out by the install program. I just wish there were contact details given....

PERDITION'S GATE

Another extraordinary Doom II add-on

from Wraith Corporation

Tired of levels even your 10 year-old sister can beat?

But are you man enough to open Perdition's Gate?

Each of the 32 levels in the Full Edition of PERDITION'S GATE makes for an
extremely difficult experience in single player mode, with innovative level
architecture further defining the "classic" feel.  Monsters, health, armor, and
ammo have all been skillfully arranged to ensure that PERDITION'S GATE is
difficult, but not impossible, for players of all skill levels.  Levels are
also riddled with secret areas and items; you'll want to play then again and
again trying to find every last secret.

That's not all, however. PERDITION'S GATE has been designed with deathmatch
in mind.  Each of the 32 levels plays fast in deathmatch, giving even the most
demanding players a roaring good time.  Non-linear levels also add to the
deathmatch experience -- players will find there are several ways to reach key
areas, and setting up ambushes or brute force attacks!

Deathmatch will never be the same again once you play PERDITION'S GATE -- 
other wads just won't cut it!

============================================================================
Doom II and Doom are trademarks of id Software, Inc.

All trademarks, registered trademarks, and copyrights are the property of
their respective owners and are implicitly acknowledged.

The unprocessed PERDITION'S GATE pwads (pg-raw.wad and pg-raw-x.wad) and the
install.exe are copyright (c) 1996, Wraith Corporation  All Rights Reserved.
============================================================================

Wraith, Corporation has gathered top level designers, artists, and musicians
     from around the world in order to create Perdition's Gate(tm).  Joining
     in this effort were:

Lich           : Artwork, Design, Production Manager, Sound
      Tom Mustaine       : Artwork, Design, Music, Production Assistant
       ArchDaemon        : Design, Programming
    Mackey McCandlish    : Artwork, Design
       Pavel Hodek       : Artwork
      Bob Mustaine       : Design
       Mark Gundy        : Marketing
         Anavrin         : Music
      Kristin Weeks      : Computer Voice
     Jaroslaw Wolski     : Artwork
=============================================================================

Retron said:

Here's the readme.txt file - notice how it only forbids distributing the *unprocessed* WAD files, not the final perdgate.wad that gets spat out by the install program.

It says:

The unprocessed PERDITION'S GATE pwads (pg-raw.wad and pg-raw-x.wad) and the install.exe are copyright (c) 1996, Wraith Corporation All Rights Reserved.

That statement makes sense. There are things in the processed wad that are not their copyright (i.e. stuff from the iwad). However, it in no way grants any permission for the processed wad to be distributed. The processed wad contains both material that is their copyright and content that is copyright id Software, and for which no permission has been granted by either company for distribution.

when i first started doom i thought d!zone levels were awesome... but of cource now current levels are much more awesome.i got a d!zone cd that has the original deadbase.wad and uac_dead.wad(i think thats what its called) sweet shit. hahaha