Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marky

HELP! MY MAP CRASHES!!

Hi, all!
I have a problem. I'm building a Map that is very large in room, though it has not too many sectors or linedefs.
The Map starts without any error message.
When I walk through the map, suddenly the hole game "freezes" and I can't move anymore. I only can end the game by pressing "escape". After this, Doom won't start until I restart my PC. (By the way: I'm playing Doom on Windows (Doom 95), not on DOS. My Doom version is 1.9)
All sectors are closed and ok. There is no mistake in it as I can see.
The only possible problem I can imagine is that the hole level has too much room on the Map. (I worked on a hidden part of the Map. When I tested it, I startet and Doom crashed at the original starting point where everything was ok before...)
Is this possible?
Did you ever hear of this Doom-Bug?
Is there somebody with a good level-checker (I only have deepsea to check my Maps, but I build them with Doombuilder) who would check everything out with my level?

Thanks for listening and helping. And please excuse my bad English.

Marky

Ok, I tested it out on normal Doom. Crash! Then I tried it using ZDoom, and it works just fine. Nice map, by the way. I'm still not exactly sure what the problem is, but it will run on ZDoom.

So it seems to be a matter of size, as it shows no mistakes with ZDoom. (It crashed, after I built the ship and the sky-sector around it.)
Thank you very much!

marky.

After testing the first three, I noticed a few problems. However, they are very minor and can be easily fixed. In map one in that first open green marble area, there are a few spots where the sky changes to the marble flat without any height changes. While there's nothing wrong with that, it really don't look good. Also, there's a few unpegged doors (doors that roll up like a curtain or scroll instead of moving upward like normal). Map two doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it. In map three, there's a couple of those unpegged doors, but not many. However, in the bloody red key room, there's a texture missing in the secret area. As for the maps themselves, they were nice and fun (although easy, but then again, it was only the first three maps).

Thank you very much for testing. I will fix the bugs.

By the way: I became a fan of ZDoom this afternoon :-)

Marky

marky said:

Thank you very much for testing. I will fix the bugs.

By the way: I became a fan of ZDoom this afternoon :-)

Marky

It appears we have a new convert :)
I'm a pretty big fan of ZDoom myself.

Doom95 does have some size limits. I forgot what they were though...

By chance, did you ever put sprites in your wad? Without a port that handles them, the game crashes as soon as one comes into view...

No, I didn't put sprites in it. The only "irregular" thing in my wad is an invisible stair, which however works well. All the rest is Doom standard, except for the large room it takes on the map.
The only limit I've read about is that Doom isn't able to handle Maps larger than 500 million (?) square units. But I don't think that I've reached this amount.