Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike951

How to finish doom2 lvl 30

Collect all the stuff and go in the teleport. Press on the panels that have the green marble goat face with the bloody pentagram to make the platforms lower. Go up the platforms to the top one, pull the switch that's up there, and a pillar rises. Wait for the pillar to go all the way up, then run to it and press on it so it lowers. Ride it up and fire a rocket (you MUST use the rocket launcher) so that it goes in the hole in the giant demon's skull. Repeat until he dies. It takes good timing.

Draconio said:

Collect all the stuff and go in the teleport. Press on the panels that have the green marble goat face with the bloody pentagram to make the platforms lower. Go up the platforms to the top one, pull the switch that's up there, and a pillar rises. Wait for the pillar to go all the way up, then run to it and press on it so it lowers. Ride it up and fire a rocket (you MUST use the rocket launcher) so that it goes in the hole in the giant demon's skull. Repeat until he dies. It takes good timing.

You will hear some weird demon scream if your hit has caused any damage.

Use a source port that supports mouselook. Suddenly this insanity of a level will become a piece of cake! :-D

Deathman said:

source ports now in days will allow anyone to cheat in doom....

So what? Map30 is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen and I gladly take any shortcut to make it last as shortly as possible.

What amazes me most is how often this moronic nonsense has been copied.

If you hate the map, then skip it. It's pointless to play it in a way that ignores the intended gameplay so completely. Might as well just type exitlevel or whatever the zdoom equivalent is.

Grazza said:

If you hate the map, then skip it. It's pointless to play it in a way that ignores the intended gameplay so completely. Might as well just type exitlevel or whatever the zdoom equivalent is.

I know. That's what I did before I got ZDoom. BTW, using the word 'gameplay' in conjunction with a map that doesn't have any is kind of odd... :-D

Deathman said:
source ports now in days will allow anyone to cheat in doom....

Well, DOOM has always had cheat codes and they are readily available.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken most source mods nowadays come set up in a more of less basic way.

At least they should: it's long past the day when mouse-look, jumping and such things were a novelty for DOOM source mods, so there's no need set them up by default, especially since most people picking up a mod for the first time will have a strong chance to play the game itself or one of the thousands of standard add-ons, which are often ruined by these settings (like Map30's gameplay is.)

What is true is that the documentation of source mods hardly ever has any gameplay considerations and notes, especially when the settings you choose can have a considerable effect on play.

I almost cried when I found that Doom2 culminated in a fight with a huge wall texture. One of the absolute worst end bosses ever in my opinion.

Worst end bosses? Maybe, maybe, but Quake's Shub Niggurath was much, much worse.

Overall, I think MAP30 provided what it, as the final map, had to provide: some new and yet-to-be-seen enemy (even if it is a frigging wall), a trick to discover (do you realize how many players got stuck believing that IDCLIP is the only way?), a fair challenge even once you discover the trick (you have to be somewhat good to beat it on UV) and a good scary atmosphere emphasized by the cool background music.

Cut off that "no gameplay" bullshit, will you? MAP30 had more gameplay jammed in it than the entire first hub (Entryway through Crusher) combined. MAP30 is a masterpiece. Why else would all the major DOOM2 megawads use the same scheme in their last level? What would you prefer, a couple of Cyberdemons and an exit switch?

Why else would all the major DOOM2 megawads use the same scheme in their last level?

Because it's a cliché and people stick to those for some reason.

No, I'd say the big wall is much worse than the Quake endboss. At least you get a small map to play with a good fight.

What would you prefer, a couple of Cyberdemons and an exit switch?

Yup.

dr_st said:

Worst end bosses? Maybe, maybe, but Quake's Shub Niggurath was much, much worse.

I would rate them as equally bad. I prefer bosses which actually fight and move as opposed to just being a goddamn wall painting which spawns enemies. The music was excellent, I agree, but even at the time I thought the main arena was a pretty dull looking setting for the end boss. I like Doom's gameplay very much, which is another reason I didn't like it - no room to exercise Doom's speed once you were on the post, and no nearby enemies you could run up to and blow away either.

I think it's very hard to make a decent boss enemy, one which really matches the climactic point in a game at which they usually occur but compared to the Baron and Cyberdemon of the previous game - fuck, even after the bosses in Wolfenstien - I was disappointed.

I think the Boss isn't bad; it's kind of like a big, protected and aggressive shootable final exit switch in functionality, plus it's pretty challenging overall... and certainly different than simply a big boss at the end. It relies on the monsters it spawns and on its telefragging ability, plus you got then poison at the bottom and you have to climb up there and hit that switch, and finally you have to use the column to get up there and nail it. Overall, for a two room map, that's a lot.

As for why people use it at the end of megawads; its part of the game and the last map was designed for it; monsters telefrag, as opposed to anywhere else... and after about 30 maps of monster killing action, one final map using the boss (which is a game feature/opponent just like everything else) won't hurt.

Plus DOOM's got a semi-arcade style feeling all over it (a game that's a game), this is an early 90s game after all, back then it didn't kill the atmosphere or anything, in my opinion, and now it keeps on serving its purpose as a possible entertaining finale, especially if an original way of using it is devised.

Guess I'll rank some of my least favorite final bosses from FPS games, for the hell of it.

1. Shub-Niggurath (Quake)

I was already pretty disappointed that none of the quake episodes after the dimension of the doomed had any new bosses, but instead the mastermind of it all is weaker than Chthon and can't even call monsters forever, they are a small, finite number... and from then on, you can do whatever you want while it looks on helplessly... bleh.

2. Heinrich I (Return to Castle Wolfenstein)

After fighting giant metal monsters you couldn't even look at without getting a face full of minigun shrapnel or tesla juice, the master plan of Himmler was reviving this simple knight who can only attack with his sword and falling debris... and he was much, much easier to defeat than the Uber Soldats (especially the first one). Weird, especially since he uses the body of one.

3. The Ancient One (Blood 2)

Granted Shial or Tchernobog from the original game weren't much better, this giant blob with tentacles and a large eyeball could only sit in a red pool and shoot an undodgeable laser beam at you... unless you use the nearby rocks for cover, where it all boils down to stepping out, shooting, and ducking back down. Bleh again!

Just shy of the running: Nihilanth (Half-Life), Icon of Sin (Doom 2), any Wolf3d boss

myk said:

I think the Boss isn't bad; it's kind of like a big, protected and aggressive shootable final exit switch in functionality

Now THERE's an idea... an exit switch that doesn't WANT to be used, and violently objects to attempts to use it.

Well, I find it funny.

ToXiCFLUFF said:
>I almost cried when I found that Doom2 culminated in a
>fight with a huge wall texture. One of the absolute
>worst end bosses ever in my opinion.

Yeah, DOOM is pretty dumb, come to think of it - fighting pixelated 2D sprites on your 'puter screen. Sheeesh...

Y'know, when you start having thoughts like "I'm just fighting a huge wall texture", it's your brain sending you a hint "time to stop playing and do something else, buddy". No need to wait until you are on the verge of tears ...

Trasher][ said:
Now THERE's an idea... an exit switch that doesn't WANT to be used, and violently objects to attempts to use it.

Well, I find it funny.

You should play DSV4 map29 (Eviltarium) then. And use that damned switch whether it likes it or not. :p

Never_Again said:

Yeah, DOOM is pretty dumb, come to think of it - fighting pixelated 2D sprites on your 'puter screen. Sheeesh...

Y'know, when you start having thoughts like "I'm just fighting a huge wall texture", it's your brain sending you a hint "time to stop playing and do something else, buddy". No need to wait until you are on the verge of tears ...

The thought that I'm just fighting a huge wall texture was the FIRST thought that occured to me. I was 11 years old at the time, and there has been worse let down bosses since, but that was the earliest disappointment.

Trasher][ said:

Well, I find it funny.

It could move when you approach it. Like the classic "Do you have a small penis?" program.

This is something for Mock 2.

Fredrik said:

It could move when you approach it.

That reminds me of MDK. My recollection is a bit fuzzy, but I think the health potions tried to run away from you in that.

Grazza said:

That reminds me of MDK. My recollection is a bit fuzzy, but I think the health potions tried to run away from you in that.

The "Topper!" Health crates ran away screaming when you came towards them.

Maybe have the exit switch move about AND fire madly. Shoot it enough, it stops and begrudgingly behaves.

Grazza said:

Heh yeah, MDK. Good game, I really loved the music in that. Also the first inclusion of a sniper rifle in a popular game I think. Although I'm sure someone here will be able to confirm/deny this with a stronger support of gaming knowledge.

It might have been me, but Quake2's end boss was suprisingly easy IMO. It was all a matter of staying behind those pillars, coming out to fire at him once or twice, making sure he doesn't sneak up behind you, and then running over to hide behind the next pillar, whilst firing at him. Not too hard actually.

DooMBoy said:

It might have been me, but Quake2's end boss was suprisingly easy IMO. It was all a matter of staying behind those pillars, coming out to fire at him once or twice, making sure he doesn't sneak up behind you, and then running over to hide behind the next pillar, whilst firing at him. Not too hard actually.

Yeah, he only got more difficult when he started firing multiple bfg shots. Nice enemy design though, and the little ID gallery and disco downstairs was amusing.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Also the first inclusion of a sniper rifle in a popular game I think.

I dunno which one came out first, but my earliest recollection of a sniper scope, at least in a FPS, was the Lucas Arts game "Outlaws". A Western style shooter - with some pretty cool, cartoony stuff and a style all of its own. XWE supports it though, so resources are there for the grabbing.

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Yeah, he only got more difficult when he started firing multiple bfg shots.

Unless you cheese by actually using the invincibility thingies you collected during the course of the game, in which case you just stand directly in front of it and BFG/railgun it to death. I also hoped for a desperate dash to the escape pods afterwards before things exploded and stuff, but no.