Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

Marswar demos/demoset

Only the lengthy Map10 remains now that Rich has done map17. I posted the following in another thread:

Someone will do map10, that's for sure. It isn't a quick one, and a route will take some working out. I have played this map, but haven't done any real work on a route (apart from deciding that you'd probably start by heading for the berserk and blue armour secret). I'll be very busy until next Monday (due to "real" work, and T/nC #153). I'll leave it free until then; if no one claims it (and please, feel very free!), expect an MW10 by me in about a week's time.

Opulent said:

slow, but not all bad.

Hey man, way to go!

That time sounds fast. I'll be watching it. :)

Edit: Looks good and quick with your trademark speed! Maybe you should do all the big wads?

Btw... I watched it using prboom 2.2.3.

I'll be packaging this up for the DSDA most likely...
a couple questions to Rich and Grazza:
1) Anything you wish me to change about the following textfile?
2) Should we add the single speedrun?
3) There could be a mistake, I could have swapped your names or something greivous like that on one of the maps. :/ (hope not)
so check for clerical errors if that matters to you.
4) Any comments you wish to add: personal, about the wad, about the author, about the demos... etc... (I may tack something on from myself once I have actually viewed all the demos -- I haven't seen many yet)

this was fun, we should find another to peck away at! :)

Doug

======================================================
Marswar.wad - by Nathan Lineback
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/marswar.zip

UV Max demos

Notes on source ports for demo playback:
Legacy1.40 is mostly compatible with Legacy1.41. Grazza's PrBoom demos are recorded with

-complevel 1 which allows for playback with Eternity3.3.1beta3 and Doom2.exe.
Legacy - http://legacy.newdoom.com/
PrBoom - http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/

Demos by:

Rich Sham
Graham "Grazza" Burgess
Doug "Opulent" Merrill

Time Source Port Player
---- ----------- ------
Map01 1:09 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map02 3:41 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map03 4:51 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map04 4:52 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map05 3:13 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map06 7:01 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map07 4:26 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map08 5:35 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map09 8:26 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map10 14:53 Doom2 Opulent
Map11 1:46 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map12 5:57 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map13 8:24 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map14 9:01 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map15 3:13 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map16 5:31 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map17 8:59 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map18 7:33 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map19 7:42 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map20 2:22 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map21 13:22 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map22 11:25 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map23 :48 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map24 11:59 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map25 3:04 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
Map26 16:02 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map27 6:20 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map28 10:04 Doom2 Opulent
Map29 11:40 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map30 3:31 Legacy1.4 Rich
Map31 3:00 Doom2 Opulent
Map32 5:38 PrBoom2.2.4 Grazza
================================================

19 - 9:44
11 - :36

I'll check the details soon.

I think that given there are so few non-Maxes, they shouldn't be included in the pack. I'll send you a zip with all my misc Marswar demos (there are 4 or 5 in total, I think).

4) Any comments you wish to add: personal, about the wad, about the author, about the demos... etc... (I may tack something on from myself once I have actually viewed all the demos -- I haven't seen many yet)

I was thinking it would make sense to write one paragraph about the wad and the project, and another paragraph containing brief comments about my demos. I'd prefer that to having a separate piece of text for each demo, or separate textfiles for each.

I'm not all that bothered about giving personal details. Name + e-mail are plenty IMO. Could give my website address in case anyone is really interested.

It makes sense to give the files a consistent naming convention (mainly so Windows Explorer lists them in the correct order). This would just involve replacing the hyphen in most of mine with a zero.

I was also thinking I'd put together batch files to watch the demos (maybe in three sections: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30). This means that people can watch them in sequence without having to check which port is needed for which.

Yes, we should do another. Someone should start a thread on that topic, presumably asking for suggestions as to which wad (no, not Nightmares of Loki 1999).

[QUOTE]DEMOn said:
[B]I'll be packaging this up for the DSDA most likely...
a couple questions to Rich and Grazza:
1) Anything you wish me to change about the following textfile?
3) There could be a mistake, I could have swapped your names or something greivous like that on one of the maps. :/ (hope not)
so check for clerical errors if that matters to you.

In reply to your questions:

#1) Please see 'here's to hoping' thread regarding textfile.

#2) Doesn't matter to me if you add the speedrun, especially if Grazza is sending you 'other' type demos.

#3) My lmps names/levels are okay.

#4) "While not very challenging at normal speed the levels did offer enhanced gameplay as speed increased. I also think the author did a fine job on monster placement and variety in gameplay throughout the megawad. Very good use of the less-threatening monster types"

Lastly, name and email address would be fine for me.

Btw... If we do get involved in another demoset I'll treat it as a potential DSDA upload.

I realize that no one approached this as a big release. I certainly didn't try my hardest to clean up the demos... it is merely a max demoset. nothing too flashy. (not to say that I haven't enjoyed all the demos I have seen already, but these aren't us at our finest)

Grazza: I like the idea of a batchfile, but most people, I would assume) have seperate directories for each port... and some people will want to use doom2.exe or prboom for the compatible demos.
(although a batchfile will merely error if the exe isn't present, so maybe this is a fine idea.)

I'll pre-prepare something and pass it to you two for approval.

Yes, some people may need to edit the batchfiles, but it will still be an effort-saver for them: replacing "prboom" with "doom2" fifteen times, or adding paths, is easier than creating the file from scratch.