Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyonisis

Fun fundamentalism!

Psyonisis said:
I've lost hope in humankind.

Not me, but I'm close to writing off those silly American buggers :)

Psyonisis said:

In my country (Netherlands) you're considered a good Christian if you go to church each Christmas. Fifty percent of the population is officially non-religious anyway.
You can imagine I receive quite a culture shock when reading that website. To me it seems the authors of that website come from another planet. Or another century.

Great quote from the front page:

If you have suggested our site to a foreigner and he says he can't get through to it, warn him that he and his family are living under the scrutiny of an authoritarian regime and are in immediate spiritual -- and possibly physical -- danger!

2nd Place: "Pine Cones Are Complicated"
"Pokemon Prove Evolutionism Is False" - Paul Sanborn (grade 4)
"Rocks Can't Evolve, Where Did They Come From Mr. Darwin?" - Anna Reed (grade 6)

Hilarious stuff.

"Patricia Lewis displays her jar of non-living material, still non-living after three weeks."

Yeah, get back to us in a few billion years Patrica.

"The current Flag of the United States of America (for the benefit of non-Americans and poorly educated Public School graduates). While beautiful, an ignorant foreigner might mistakenly suspect we were Astrologists or some sort of Stripe Fetishists instead of proper Christians."

Good lord. If anyone can scare me, it's Christians.

its fake.

however there are people like that, and a great many of them in power. that is scary.

honestly i laught at people who are dumb like that. they dont want to give in to the fact that humans are just like all other forms of life.

What the hell? Jesus, where do these nuts come from? I ask you, how can one be so frickin' stupid? They don't even get the point. It's useless trying to argue against people like that. My God, I can't even begin to describe their utter retardedness.

geekmarine said:

What the hell? Jesus, where do these nuts come from? I ask you, how can one be so frickin' stupid? They don't even get the point. It's useless trying to argue against people like that. My God, I can't even begin to describe their utter retardedness.

It's a satirical page, but the sad aspect is that people who think like that actually exist. Ever been to http://www.capalert.com/?

Ultraviolet said:

GET ME OUT OF HERE

TAKE ME WITH YOU. I DON'T CARE IF THE ONLY WAY IS TO SMUGGLE ME IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR, TAKE ME WITH YOU

heh

The guestbook is hilarious.
At least it's nice to know that I wasn't the only one who fell for it. Best satire site I've ever seen!

Okay, its a good thing thats not real because I was about to go berzerk about the whole "Women were meant to be homemakers" thing.

ROFL Anyone who seeks to prove evolution is wrong by showing the difference between their uncle and a monkey obviously didn't get the point and would never win first prize!

Sadly I know people like these fictional characters. :(

I spy Danarchists avatar! Sad bastard :p
I do wonder how many of 'these people' are in control. I mean, at times it seems reasonable to think that they are the only people in control, the way things go, and other times I relax into a sense of security and persuade myself that these people only wield power at the fringes.

Goddamnit, the page doesn't work for me - it goes to payforsurvey.com or some such shit. Anyone else have this problem?

people who situationally redefine, counterfeit and conditionally apply His Word to suit cultural tolerances

(http://www.capalert.com)

This sort of thing jabs at me as well to be honest. I find it quite disagreeable, the way religious doctrine is changed to suit the current social context. I mean it's nice an' all that an actively homosexual bishop may be ordained now, but If your religious text says that homosexuality is a bad thing (and I don't know enough of the bible to say wether it does or doesn't), then surely allowing it merely to appear Politically correct is a shameful contravention of faith?

Um, besides the point, do you have any of the new Grey Knights models, Danarchist?

I havent had the money to purchase any miniatures recently. :/ Add to that the fact that Wizards fo the Coast has stopped selling miniatures and yeah. Heh.

My next army is going to be 'Nids anyway. But I'll always have a place in my heart for Imperial Tactical Dreadnoughts. :)

They are definetely a good army to play with now. Loosely related to the given topic, my friend works at GW in wolverhampton. He's been there long enough now that he is allowed to mail oredr by weight. He got several hundred punds worth of Skaven for less than £50. I don't know wether to be jealous or worried. Thing is he spends his money on Magic cards, GW and console games, and not much else. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose, but still, sometimes I wonder...

the_Danarchist said:

I havent had the money to purchase any miniatures recently. :/ Add to that the fact that Wizards fo the Coast has stopped selling miniatures and yeah. Heh.

My next army is going to be 'Nids anyway. But I'll always have a place in my heart for Imperial Tactical Dreadnoughts. :)

I haven't played in years, but Tyranids were always my favoured side. I still remember getting my first lead Carnifex. The genestealers are a separate race now aren't they?

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I haven't played in years, but Tyranids were always my favoured side. I still remember getting my first lead Carnifex. The genestealers are a separate race now aren't they?

Um no. The Genestealers were a seperate race to begin with, but now they're a part of the Tyranids. You can play as a genestealer cult though.

The whole presentation of W40K has changed drastically since the release of the third edition. It's now become a much more legend-laden world in which you can explore, with much more depth and flexibility to the game and the story. New heights of cheesiness are reached frequently, with GW regulars citing such witty repartee as: "H4R H4R, 4D6 extra dispell dice, my wand is bigger than yours!" "Immodium" by Nirvana is now something of a running joke amongst the inhabitants of the Wolverhampton store - apparently Kurt is actually saying "Jezael," not "She said." It's amazing what perversions of the english language can be achieved using only the collective lexis of a single fictional micro-cosmic universe and the power of the mind(less).

And I do believe we are still firmly on the topic of fundamentalism.

Mithrandir said:
I mean it's nice an' all that an actively homosexual bishop may be ordained now, but If your religious text says that homosexuality is a bad thing (and I don't know enough of the bible to say wether it does or doesn't), then surely allowing it merely to appear Politically correct is a shameful contravention of faith?

The one quote I remember is from a letter of Paul (to the Damascas community..?), who (non-explicitly) condemned homosexuality. Of course, Paul was very much human... a fanatic anti-Christian Roman who turned fanatic Christian. So personaly, I think you need to see that comment as coming from a man living in that particular time, and certainly not as the Word from God.

Of course, you could also try to live a good rightious life without the trappings of religion :)

Well of course WE all know that the bible was really written by a bunch of 'shroom-head misogynists (as exemplified by Dogma). My quibble is with those who believe it to be the word of God and yet re-interpret the meanings. Sometimes it seems like the interpretation of the Bible is as shaky as A-level english literature, and surely has to be taken with an equally large quantity of salt.
There is a good book called "good omens" by Terry Prattchett and Neil Gaiman which nicely satirises prophets and the authors of the bible, and also makes use of a delightfully colourful turn of phrase:

Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.