Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron Slayer419

What happened to the old look?

Tetzlaff said:

That´s bullshit! Neither aliens nor demons are realistic, so it doesn´t matter at all.

uh. Aliens is as close to 100% realistic as it gets. Demons from hell is as close 0% as it gets. Any of them attacking us is also as close to 0% as possible.

Some people believe in demons just like you obviously believe in aliens. Aliens might seem more believable from a certain modern, western culture point of view, but how is that making them more real?

Tetzlaff said:

Some people believe in demons just like you obviously believe in aliens. Aliens might seem more believable from a certain modern, western culture point of view, but how is that making them more real?

Common sense. :)

If demons with horns and hooves is a cliche, then demons looking scary is also a cliche. Goblins being green is a cliche. Angels with dove wings is also a cliche. And clowns with red noses is a cliche.

The creature that really disappointed me was the new baron of hell. If he is demonic, then so are ogres.

When it comes to looking evil, I think diablo and aliens did a great job. Usually hell is depicted as being an inferno (diablo/red/rage) or very dark (aliens/black/spite).

The baron of hell is a dull grey and looks like a monster from an experiment like Resident Evil, not something from Hell. He kinda does look like the aliens from Aliens (the smooth look), but not as evil or scary. I think something that looked like Diablo would be cool, but darker red. The shade of red from the devil guy in Legend was pretty cool.

Malice Rancor said:

Clichéd rant

Please tell us where to get a peek at this new Baron of Hell! :P

Malice Rancor said:

Sorry, but hellknight.

And what exactly was exaggerated about what I said, and where are the cliches?

It was just a pointless joke! :P

OMG I just had a brilliant idea! Okay, so what if, instead of going ultra-realistic, Carmack had decided to do cel-shading for Doom 3. I think then it could be possible to have all the original monsters, fairly unaltered without looking out of place. It's genius!!! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it earlier.

geekmarine said:

OMG I just had a brilliant idea! Okay, so what if, instead of going ultra-realistic, Carmack had decided to do cel-shading for Doom 3. I think then it could be possible to have all the original monsters, fairly unaltered without looking out of place. It's genius!!! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it earlier.

That was my idea....

Fredrik said:

A cel-shaded exact remake of Doom would be awesome :P

You mean like how they destroyed the zelda series? Do you remember the scrapped zelda game? I can almost cry just thinking about it. Cell shading is for cartoony games ;)

sniperfrommars1 said:

You mean like how they destroyed the zelda series? Do you remember the scrapped zelda game?

The graphic style in A Link to the Past is identical to that in Wind Waker. Both games have awesome graphics, Wind Waker sucks for other reasons.

Cell shading is for cartoony games ;)

Doom is a cartoony game. Cel shading would simply mean a higher resolution, smoother animation, and dynamic lighting/shadowing.

I don't see what all the fuss is about whether the Doom3 monsters look "traditional" or not. Personally, I appreciate the fact that they put the effort into new designs that they did, and attempted to make them different from the "traditional" demon designs while keeping them recognizeable.

Sure, I'd like for the imp to have a few spikes here and there, but not everything in the damn game needs to have hooves and horns. The idea of the demon is entirely a human fabrication, and as such doesn't require any real standards other than the understanding that it comes from Hell in order to be a demon. They could have made every single demon look like the satyr-demons from Dark Ages texts to make them more "authentic," but you know what? That'd make them boring. I like the fact that they're making the demons look different, not just from the traditional stereotypes but even from the original Doom game.

Besides, I'm certain a few "traditional" demons will make it in there; if nothing else, the Cyberdemon is almost certain to have its required hooves, horns and rocket launcher. The idea of a demon with a rocket launcher grafted onto his arm is hardly traditional in the first place, by the way.

I say, keep it a nice mix, like they seem to be doing. I really like the fact that they're making new designs for all the demons instead of, say, taking the jDoom MD2 models and slapping more complex skins on them. I especially like the designs for the pinky, hell knight and imp.

Besides, you haven't even seen the full game yet. Things change between initial screenshots and final releases, even down to the wire. Stop bitching and try to appreciate the effort they're putting into this.

Shaviro said:

uh. Aliens is as close to 100% realistic as it gets. Demons from hell is as close 0% as it gets. Any of them attacking us is also as close to 0% as possible.

It's true about the part that the possibility of the existence of aliens cannot be discounted; however, no one has ever seen a real alien before therefore those creations are still considered as quite fictional.

Fredrik said:

The graphic style in A Link to the Past is identical to that in Wind Waker. Both games have awesome graphics, Wind Waker sucks for other reasons.

Doom is a cartoony game. Cel shading would simply mean a higher resolution, smoother animation, and dynamic lighting/shadowing.

Since when is doom cartoony? ANd no the graphics in link to the past are not the same its a completely different feel. Secondly A link to the past is not the scrapped game im talking about anyways

sniperfrommars1 said:

Since when is doom cartoony?

Since always. And it's a good thing.

ANd no the graphics in link to the past are not the same its a completely different feel.

Colors are about the same, contrast too. And the characters have been about the same in all Zelda games.

Fredrik said:

The original Doom's monsters wouldn't work in a non-cartoonish environment.

a mancubus or an archvile would look cool in the new doom enviroment

the spider mastermind they have shown is pretty the same as te original too

dark santaclaus said:

Where are YOU getting your pics, because I haven't seen a Spider Mastermind shot yet.

dark santaclaus said:

Neither the mancubus or the archvile would look scary in their original form, and they wouldn't have a nice new and fresh feel either.

As for the "Spider Mastermind", you've seen the Arachnotron pic I assume (id has stated that they will show no bosses before the game is released) and while it looks similar, it still has changed enough to be more evil looking. Besides, that was a concept sketch, and concepts have a way of changing when made into actual ingame characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get to see an arachnotron that looks a helluva more scary than the concept.