• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lethal_Chupacabra

Marines name?

Dunbar said:

I second that.

Damn skippy.

BTW, I third that. So lets close this topic before the guys in white suits come and try to steal me away to their secret lab agian.

if you go by the manaul, you're the doom marine. it's told in 2nd person not 3rd so there really is no doom marine character at all.

sargebaldy said:

if you go by the manaul, you're the doom marine. it's told in 2nd person not 3rd so there really is no doom marine character at all.

What the fuck, 2nd Person?

Flynn Taggart to most people. Green muthafucka runnin' at 5000 miles an hour with 10000000 pounds of gear on him to me.

The game makes you think that you're the Doom Marine, so in that sense, YOU are the Doom Marine, hence the Doom Marine has your name.

DooMBoy said:

The game makes you think that you're the Doom Marine, so in that sense, YOU are the Doom Marine, hence the Doom Marine has your name.

With sourceports, you can name your marine. My marine's name is Xaser. Can you guess why? :P

Darkhaven3 said:

What the fuck, 2nd Person?

Yeah, what? The entire DOOM/DOOM2/FDOOM/Heretic/Hexen storyline is told in second person, and that was clearly intentional, just like it was clearly intentional to leave out the name of the character, so that every player will feel that he's the hero, and not some Thomas Krendel or Gordon Freeman for that matter.

dr_st said:

Yeah, what? The entire DOOM/DOOM2/FDOOM/Heretic/Hexen storyline is told in second person, and that was clearly intentional, just like it was clearly intentional to leave out the name of the character, so that every player will feel that he's the hero, and not some Thomas Krendel or Gordon Freeman for that matter.

Um, that would be first person. 3rd person is when you are playing as a character with a name and are not seeing from their pov. 2nd is when you are playing as a character with a name and you are seeing from their pov. 1st person is the exact same thing as 2nd, execpt the character has no name.

Sir Blastalot said:

Um, that would be first person. 3rd person is when you are playing as a character with a name and are not seeing from their pov. 2nd is when you are playing as a character with a name and you are seeing from their pov. 1st person is the exact same thing as 2nd, execpt the character has no name.

i'm afraid not.

Games and stories cannot be in a 2nd person perspective. Period.

1st person: I
2nd person: You
3rd person: him/her

That's how it goes. You can't have a game/story about someone you are talking to. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

Except that all of the text in these games say "You have arrived..." "You have to get out..." etc. So yes, it is second person.

Sir Blastalot said:

Um, that would be first person...

...2nd is when you are playing as a character with a name and you are seeing from their pov...

First person would be if all the game text said "I have arrived..." "I have to get out or else..." and so on. The doom marine has no name because its in second person.

EarthQuake said:

Games and stories cannot be in a 2nd person perspective. Period.

1st person: I
2nd person: You
3rd person: him/her

That's how it goes. You can't have a game/story about someone you are talking to. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

you obviously haven't READ the doom story yet...

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

the game might play in first but the story was told in second.

Xaser said:

With sourceports, you can name your marine. My marine's name is Xaser. Can you guess why? :P

I go by foxfish.

@sargebaldy:
My mistake, stories can be in 2nd person perspective, it's just that the actual game itself cannot be.

@pregnant with worms: That first site is full of shit, 2nd person games cannot exist. If the author of that article is thinking that Tomb Raider is a 2nd Person (which it obviously is a 3rd person), then I wouldn't trust that site for the life of me... =)