Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lethal_Chupacabra

Marines name?

I make that two mind-numbingly brainless posts in as many threads by Earthquake today.

I doff my hat to you, sir, you've given me a headache.

pregnant with worms said:

i'm afraid not.

Damn. I stand corrected :(

There's a lesson to be learnt today---Stupidity shows worse than an orange tan.

Anyway, I really think there should'nt be a name for the Dooguy. Hell, I know no-one who's had a problem with it before, so why change it now?

pritch said:

I make that two mind-numbingly brainless posts in as many threads by Earthquake today.

If that's me you're referring to, then give me your address so I can send you some ibuprofin. My utmost apologies, dearest friend in Doom.

pritch said:

=(

That's how it goes. You can't have a game/story about someone you are talking to. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

Au contraire. (Heh, I'm sure Julian will correct spelling on that one. :) ) I read a book in the second person. Well, the first two chapters, at least. Then I gave up.

That must be a biography directed at the person it's about. You did this... and you did that... etc.

Apparently, this is an article written in the second person. How the hell would a second person video game work? Would it be you forcing someone to play it? My brain hurts.

EarthQuake said:

@pregnant with worms: That first site is full of shit, 2nd person games cannot exist. If the author of that article is thinking that Tomb Raider is a 2nd Person (which it obviously is a 3rd person), then I wouldn't trust that site for the life of me... =)

actually, it makes perfect sense. compare the definitions of game perspectives to the definitions of literary perspectives. warcraft 2, for instance, is much more of a third-person game than tomb raider could ever be.

I corrected myself... 2nd person stories can exist... i wasn't thinking when i said that statement...

Any game where you control the main character(s) but are not them, is a 3rd person. I know for a fact Tomb Raider is a 3rd person. Please don't make me dig up 100 articles backing me up =|
If you don't believe me that 2nd person game can't exist, try to define what a 2nd person generally is. Think about it.

Gokuma is on the right track with 2nd person games. It might be possible, but it's beyond our comprehension. Kinda like 4th dimensions and time traveling :D So I'd rather say it doesn't exist...

I don't really keep my mind on it's name, as long as it can wield many powerful weapons and not die and allow me to enter Degreelessness mode without any shame of cheating, I'm happy with whatever it's name may be. :D

In a way, all games with a hero character you control are second person games, since you aren't exactly in the game yourself, but you are telling the character exactly what to do.

Second person games, pretty much first person games in chase cam mode, are indeed quite similar to third person games like sidescrollers, but still, you follow all the character movements like in a first person game (and not just statically from a side, or something like that), so it does give you an impression of immediateness, and yet it still doesn't make you feel like you're in the character (sharing his or her viewpoint); so I don't think that calling them second person games is totally inappropriate.

myk said:

so I don't think that calling them second person games is totally inappropriate.

yes. i am aware that the popular term for tomb raider and similar games is "third person", but they really have much more in common with second-person.
third person games, like third person books, have the player/reader cast as a 'narrator' outside of the characters. this 'narrator' can either be omniscient (civilization) or limited (warcraft 2, with its 'fog of war').
second person games, like second person books ('you do this, you do that'), always keep the player ('you') in sight and always show what 'you' do, like tomb raider or super mario world.

No, Gukuma, it was a book in the second person. Like someone was talking to you. But you never read what you say. So you just end up hearing one side of a conversation.

All those Goosebumps: Pick your own adventure books are in second person!

And I suppose there's those point/click games like Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max that could be second person.

As for his name, I think if he had to have a name for some reason, it would be Awesome Man.

I tought that this was about a name, not the tense of the game. But any ways, I think that the Doomguy's name should be SF SRG. ( Staff Sargent) Jeffry Wiant. I think that it sounds cool.

Epyo said:

All those Goosebumps: Pick your own adventure books are in second person!

I love the werewolf camp one.

I know how you could do a 2nd person game. Have something like this combined with the technology they used to put cockroaches under radio control.

Surely a second person game would be one where you see through someone's eyes (ala first person), but control someone else who they're watching (ala third person).

For example, a Star Trek game where you see through the eyes of Jean Luc Picard, but it's your subordinates who actually move the ship around, fire weapons, etc.