Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirTimberWolf

Doom MMORPG?

Okay.. so I was looking at the Screenshots for Resident Evil Outbreak and I was thinking... wouldnt it be neat to play a DooM based MMORPG or even a DooM RTS? *Ponders* What do you think?

What I want to know.. is why it's AN RTS instead of A RTS. Do we change it to 'an' because it flows smoother with RTS, like we do with vowels. Or do we use 'a' because "a Real Time Strategy" is correct over "an Real Time Strategy".

A and an are based on vowel sounds, because it generally doesn't sound good to have two vowels directly in a row. (That are pronounced seperately.) So, if a word begins with a vowel sound and not a letter, we say "an" anyway. i.e., an hour.

Now that I think about it, RTS doesn't begin an vowel sound anyway. I guess it just sounds better. (Hell, how it sounds is the reason we have an and a anyway, so it kinda makes sense. Kinda.)

That reminds me, I still need to do some work on converting one of the Starcraft races to the Doom monsters.

:(

I'm sitting here at work, I spent most of thwe morning composing ideas.. heres what we have so far.

Engine BASE: ZDoom 2.0.52, with ST's netcode and some other modifications.
Mods: Character system, experience, server side weapons fire code. Hub code extended to allow players to freely leave and join the hub.
Hubs break down into 3 kinds:
Hemispheres
Regions
Sites
Since the entire moon of phobos is 22km in diamiter I hope you can see how this can work... :) If not.. no biggie.. it will be come clear :D

CURRENTLY The plan is to have servers that host 32 Players, but exchange character info on a common server (thus elimating the need to make new characters for every diffrent server you play on.)

Classes: Marines: Heathiest of the 3, Do most damage of any class, has access to exotic firepower.
Army: Have access to a lot of fire power, slightly less fit then marines, has some technical ability.
Civilians: Weakest and most poorly armed, however they can do things with technology that others can only dream of.

The focal point of this game will be the original maps... located in the Stickney crater. Though the other hemispheres contain stuff like power substations and landing pads, and mines.. all sorts of stuff... the ultimate goal of this will to be either survive, escape or over take the anomoly and purge phobos of the menece... :)

I'll post more info after work... be safe everyone :D

Well a Doom RTS would be interesting, but I'd rather see a MMOFPS. I dunno if there is a commercial game like this, but I've always thought there's a market for a free diablo-style online fps. You could have a "town" area with shops for buying weapons and shit, a bank to store stuff then a bunch of "dungeons" full of slowly respawning monsters. You could have slow statbuilding and the ability to get more powerful weapons/armour/ammo etc as you reach the harder dungeons and fight more powerful monsters. You could have non-pvp areas for newbs and pvp areas for veterans. You could have resurrection with stat-loss servers and hardcore/permadeth ones.

Plus you could do a version which used the freedoom resources and make it totally free for anyone to play. Goddamnit, somebody fucking should do this.

This is a warning/invitation: For ANYONE interested in mapping for this project do ALL THE research you can get a hold of regarding phobos...
yahoo.com has a lot of good links and pictures... When this takes footing it is expected of mappers to know what the planet is like and stuff.. :P
We already have a couple good mappers... I'll post a "what im shooting for in a map" thing soon... :D Hope this makes sense.. :D I will probably be doing interviews for mappers and 2d/3d artists soon so if your interested please PM/aim/ym/or email me

peresonaly i hate that massive online RPG stuff. not only do you have to buy the game but you have to pay to play the damn thing.

maybe if all the games used the same network i could see a monthly fee. but not a fee for each game.
i hope this sort of trend dies out real quick.

i saw final fantasy XI but was disappionted that it was a MMORPG and that it had a monthly fee

an arr tee ess

I'm an idiot, leave me alone. :P

but I'd rather see a MMOFPS.

Planetside is an MMORPG FPS. It's not very good.

an arr tee ess

an arr tee ess

Not all online games are pay to play. In fact only one PS2 game is, and that's everquest.

Edit: I'm stupid, ignore this.

Grimm said:

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean a MMOFPS can't be done well. For one thing, Planetside is purely player-versus-player. A game featuring spawning bad guys as well as pvp would be more varied I think, since you'd have potential to play it pseudo-singleplayer, co-op or deathmatch, or some crazy mix of all three.

Timber, you have a good idea, but in order for people to understand it they need a (modified) story line to understand the concept. This for you people (like me, once) who don't know the story:
From Timber himself:

In doom the hellspawn/invaders/whatever invaded through this portal that humans found on Phobos and Deimos.
We built a base around em.. studied em and played with em till the accident happened.
It has been 2 weeks since the initial invasion began.
Marines have begun landing drop ships and sending troops to investigate.
Others from the army and civilian sector have yet to hear of any disturbance.
*there is an army base on the opposite side of the "main" set of instalations.*
Soon after landing the marine's dropships are destroyed leaving them stranded on the desolate rock and the invaders have begun searching for more territory
*Mind you dooms "original" instalations have all been taken over at this point*
Soon the army base finds itself under attack
Thats where it starts
This is when the fun begins
There is all out chaos
Players fight to re-take the moon

Some of you might think of this like Command and Conquer or even Star Craft, but this story and game should and will be better.

Damn, this sounds AWESOME!!! I really like it! I really hope something comes of this. Ooooo, I can just see it now. Doom 3, be damned. This is what we really need!

Grimm said:

(Nice triple post :P) anyways, I think Planetside is rather fun, if you have the internet connection and enough RAM for it.