Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Classic Doom revival with release of Doom 3?

The local store here has an old dusty copy of the Doom Collector's Edition going for $20, dear God that is criminal. No one will buy it because come on lets face it, its shovelware trash. I feel like burning the box to put it out of its misery.

Id owes it to its fans to at the very least bundle a REAL Collector's Edition with Doom 3. No more of Dos and buggy win95 front end crap. This pack should include:

Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Final Doom
The latest version of ZDoom (uncapped FPS is a MUST have)
All the fantastic pwads that have ever been released for Doom/Doom II. Sort of a top 100 pwads or something.
Whacked2
DoomBuilder
A bunch of crazy prefabs.
Wintex and all the other necessary editing utils
And a cool Doom mousepad.

Can't anyone get Id to do this? I'm sure such a thing would make Doom 3 more appealing. Heck, I'll compile the files myself if I have to (I'll just mirror my Doom directory :) After all its not like Id is the king of the hill anymore (more like over the hill really) I'm sure it'll make them more money and all they really need to do is press the compilation onto a CD and bundle it with Doom 3.

God damnit the injustice is appalling.

Igor9 said:

Id owes it to its fans to at the very least bundle a REAL Collector's Edition with Doom 3.

Id actually owes nothing to their fans. It's a business arrangement. They provide a product, we buy it. End of story.

If the product is shit, we don't buy it. If we don't buy the product they go out of business.

If the product is good, we buy it. If we buy it, id get rich. We have a game, they have our money.

Do people really buy games, regardless of quality, out of some strange loyalty towards id? I suspect not. We may buy games on the strength of their track record and our expectations of their products, but surely not out of loyalty. So why should id owe anything to the fans?

"But we kept the game alive and stuck with it for 10 years" I hear people cry. So, id made a game that would last 10 years. They did their bit, we do ours.

I suppose that if one were in the game engine business, what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

The Collector's Edition is fine; and by no means could it ever have been released or will ever be released with user made add-ons on it. These have NEVER been supported by id and are totally independent of id's or their partners' business (including selling and distributing the games), sans any restrictions due to the companies' copyrights.

Plus it brings the three games for just $20 when their individual price is $25 each. How could $20 be too much...? I mean, newer games are for the most part more expensive, but are they worth more than or as much as the DOOMs?

And why would source mods or map sets increase the value of a DOOM edition when these add-ons are available under the condition that they can be obtained freely?

I have all the DOOM games and I haven't paid for a single one of them. But if I see the Collector's Edition in the store, I just might buy it. I LOVE collections...

And, yeah, I don't think that official commercial "collector's editions" should include home-made addons. Nowadays, everyone has CD burners and can compile a collector's edition of his own, with everything he wants. I made myself a CD with all the DOOM/Heretic/Hexen stuff I own - the games, the tools, addons, music, etc.

umm the "old dusty copy of the Doom Collector's Edition going for $20" is it in a DVD case? cas thats NEW, yeah i think they said 'hey, everyones talking about Doom3 lets sell our old games one more time' and put it out like a year ago

well when i 1st heard about Doom3 i wanted to play the old ones again but i only had the Shareware and an old unpatchable Doom 2 that cost me $40 when i bought it in 95...

so i warzed the full ver of all 3 cos i couldnt find them anywhere and wanted to play them 'right now' and anyway i beat UDoom and was working my way thru TNT when i saw this and i thought $20 wasnt so bad (well 15 euro) so now i own them fair and []

but seeing as how Wolf3D is still going for $15 on ids site i dont think Doom will be freeware for a long time

15 bucks for Wolf3D eh. I wonder if they ship it out on floppy disks.

EDIT: while that would have satisfied the joke, looking at the site shows they don't send hard copies of it. Be sure to back it up as soon as it arrives!!

you can snag doom collection for $9 at any show. got ultimate doom for $2 last year.

they can't sell any source ports, i think it is part of the GPL, unless Id makes their own port.

honestly that brings up an interesting topic.

but ill post that laterd

Igor9 sez:
>No more of Dos and buggy win95 front end crap.

If that project ever sees the light of day, I sincerely hope it's not you who gets to decide what is included.

Sephiroth said:
>they can't sell any source ports, i think it
>is part of the GPL

The GPL would not have binding legal value in the matter. Unless the ports in question are copyrighted, anyone can do whatever they want with them, including selling them.

classic doom wont become true freeware in the near future simply because it still exists in fully copyrighted (albeit licenced) and distributed form for every new handhenld gaming device that comes out. interestingly the GBA version of doom rocks (despite the limited control layout selection) though beating the appalingly bad psx port cant have been that difficult.

Never_Again said:
If that project ever sees the light of day, I sincerely hope it's not you who gets to decide what is included.

Yes, well I hope you get sent to Iraq.

I'm sure such a thing would make Doom 3 more appealing. Heck, I'll compile the files myself if I have to (I'll just mirror my Doom directory :) After all its not like Id is the king of the hill anymore (more like over the hill really) I'm sure it'll make them more money and all they really need to do is press the compilation onto a CD and bundle it with Doom 3.

How is that going to make them more money? Who the hell is going to buy Doom3 for the sole purpose of having Doom 1 & 2? More appealing? Not in the slightest.

God damnit the injustice is appalling.

What injustice? You act as if id did something horrible to the community. Doom95 you say? The original exes are on the compilation cd as well.

cycloid said:

appalingly bad psx port

Uh, since when was the PSX port of Doom bad at all? I thought it was really rather well done myself, and reviews I've seen for it were really quite positive.

Never_Again said:

Igor9 said:
>Yes, well I hope you get sent to Iraq.

Touché! Now there's a well thought out and mature rejoinder.

I spit on your prada shoes faggot.

Never_Again said:
The GPL would not have binding legal value in the matter. Unless the ports in question are copyrighted, anyone can do whatever they want with them, including selling them.

Yeah, but considering the way the source GPLing was declared, I doubt big commercial companies (Activision, maybe id as a whole) would take the second license seriously or want to have anything to do with its related products.

Assmaster said:
The original exes are on the compilation cd as well.

No, they aren't... not that I have anything against Doom95 in particular; I mean, Microsoft recognized DOOM as the awesome game it is and they ported it to their OS.

Dude, a real Doom Collection would have Heretic, Hacx, Strife, and Hexen in it too.

BTW, id owes us nothing. They can say "fuck you guys, we quit, we're becoming monks" and cancel Doom 3. They don't owe us Doom 3, they don't us JACK SHIT.

i was in the pub with my mates uttering on about the speedrun i'm attempting and one said "Why do you still play doom!? it's 10 years old" and i said "its the best game ever made! when someone makes a game better than doom i'll spend 10 years playing that". The guy in question is a console kid (he owns every console ... EVERY console!) and has nearly every game (he also has a fiancee and a ful time job, mind, i dont, heh). i on the other hand havent purchased a game since 1998 ... HL!

the problem with modern games is that they're too complicated, too slow and just dont have the "dive in" element, some console games have a million menus and options and when i get to my mate's house i can be heard yelling "I JUST WANT TO PLAY!". It would seem, however, that Carmack is well aware of this, hence the lack of even "duck" and "use" keys and probably "alt fire" ... something my mate just cant understand

having said that i hark back to the days of joystick + 1 fire button. if a console game can have everything on two sticks and 6 buttons why do PC games have 5 million keys? even fps's (duck, lean left, lean right, alt fire, buy new guns button, reload button, hack terminal button, inventory selection buttons etc etc etc afterfuckingburners)

I JUST WANT TO PLAY!

and

I JUST WANT TO PLAY DOOM!

/rant

BBG said:

Dude, a real Doom Collection would have Heretic, Hacx, Strife, and Hexen in it too.

Which is exactly what my homemade DOOM Collection has. Plus lots of WADs, ports, music, graphics (the cool looking maps I got from Elbryan's site), etc.

That and DOOM2D.