Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The One Room Contest

Yay.

I wanted to add some gameplay too, so the lower right of the map only got a
wall and some barrels as time was running out.

Yo, what's the status on this thing? Haven't heard anything since it ended. By the way, Hirogen2, that was a VERY nice room. Wow, I'm impressed.

Which reminds me, I apologize for the wait, but some technical difficulties kept me from my duties. Hirogen2, you are officially the winner of the first "One Room Contest". Congratulations! Your room will be included, at your allowance, in the final wad which will include all the rooms which one each contest.

NEW CONTEST:
The same rules as before still apply. If you are new and aren't sure what the limitations are, please check the first post in this thread. If you have any additional questions, please post them and I will answer as promptly as I can.

*All entries are due Friday, November 21st.

This Contest's Theme: This one is a wildcard. I don't like to use them this early, but have fun with it. Under the restrictions, make a one-room level that makes the most creative use of textures and details and architecture...that is, be original, I can't stress that enough. Make something strange -- a merge between themes, something unusual and unique. If you need further elaboration, please post some questions.

**Unique, unusual and original does not mean that you should use Wolfenstein textures liberally nor S.S. Men!

EarthQuake said:

I'm in, but when's the deadline? TBA?

Right. All entries are due Friday, November 21st.

Hi, I'd like to join.
I have already finished my level, I put some extreme detail in it, filling almost every square possible, but no scripting or other special effects. I have nowhere to upload it, where should I put it?

EarthQuake said:

realsimpsons.com/doomvault/files/eq-room.zip

I don't think it's very good, but here it is...
Perhaps I'll do another one. I was hoping for a hell theme, but that's been done too much.

It's not that bad :P In fact I quite liked it.

Do these rooms have to be for Doom1? I've been doing one for Doom2. It wouldn't be much of a hastle but I've been using a few doom2 textures and it's quite important to keep them (to me at least).

Another question, I know doors as such aren't allowed, but can I use a door as a 'compartment' type thing. I wanted to have a door that opens using a key, which simply opens straight to another switch that lowers a floor.

The Flange Peddler said:

It's not that bad :P In fact I quite liked it.

Do these rooms have to be for Doom1? I've been doing one for Doom2. It wouldn't be much of a hastle but I've been using a few doom2 textures and it's quite important to keep them (to me at least).

Another question, I know doors as such aren't allowed, but can I use a door as a 'compartment' type thing. I wanted to have a door that opens using a key, which simply opens straight to another switch that lowers a floor.

The rooms can be for either IWAD, but preferably for Doom 2. As for the compartment door, those are quite acceptable and encouraged since they are a good detail to have.

Mephisto00: If you wish to upload your level, I suggest asking SargeBaldy or one of the mods to see how you can get your level uploaded to the idgames FTP.

Wait, you never described how these files need to be uploaded.
I wanna make sure mine gets entered, so could you please explain where you want the file?

EarthQuake said:

Wait, you never described how these files need to be uploaded.
I wanna make sure mine gets entered, so could you please explain where you want the file?

All you have to do is e-mail it to me if you have no webspace to put it on. I'll take care of the rest -- it's that easy.

Job said:

All you have to do is e-mail it to me if you have no webspace to put it on. I'll take care of the rest -- it's that easy.

Well, i'd e-mail it to you, but i can't seem to find your e-mail address. Could you tell me?

mephisto00 said:

Well, i'd e-mail it to you, but i can't seem to find your e-mail address. Could you tell me?

My e-mail address is philmj19@uwgb.edu -- though it should be in my profile.

EarthQuake said:

Job, Would you just mind downloading mine from the link above?
Easy for the both of us :)

Sure, I'll get on that.

Hirogen2, you are officially the winner of the first "One Room Contest". Congratulations! Your room will be included, at your allowance, in the final wad which will include all the rooms which one each contest.

What "final" wad? "Final of contest #1"?
Yeah, do it, as long as you don't fux0r up any of the ZDoom specific stuff such as ambient sounds :-) Renaming it to be the last map should be fine w/o problems. (10 sectors "you play towards the winner").

Hirogen2 said:

What "final" wad? "Final of contest #1"?
Yeah, do it, as long as you don't fux0r up any of the ZDoom specific stuff such as ambient sounds :-) Renaming it to be the last map should be fine w/o problems. (10 sectors "you play towards the winner").

Heh, I won't touch your wad. It'll be incorporated into the compilation wad as-is. I assure you. :)

Hirogen2 said:

Then release it. I want to play the others' maps too, compiled of course.

Well, I will, once there are more contests completed.

Ok, my maps done.

What exactly will happen with this compilation wad? Are you going to make one map out of all the rooms (I don't think this will work very well), or put them all on separate levels? My map plays as a stand alone level anyway.

Where should I send it to? Your email? I was also thinking of uploading it to the archives, if you don't mind the maps being available before the compilation wad is done. I'm hoping some challenge seekers might get a kick out of the level, it's quite hard :P

The Flange Peddler said:

Ok, my maps done.

What exactly will happen with this compilation wad? Are you going to make one map out of all the rooms (I don't think this will work very well), or put them all on separate levels? My map plays as a stand alone level anyway.

Where should I send it to? Your email? I was also thinking of uploading it to the archives, if you don't mind the maps being available before the compilation wad is done. I'm hoping some challenge seekers might get a kick out of the level, it's quite hard :P

The compilation wad will probably just feature all of the new rooms. It won't be one level, per se, but a bunch of sectors, your rooms, connected via teleporters. Also, you can do what you like with the level as long as you e-mail it to philmj19@uwgb.edu

Heh, i have lots of time to waste, so can i come up with a second room. I'll propably do some scripting too. BTW, how many rooms the level is going to be?

mephisto00 said:

Heh, i have lots of time to waste, so can i come up with a second room. I'll propably do some scripting too. BTW, how many rooms the level is going to be?

Sure, multiple entries are ok. There will be a series of contests and how many there are will indicate the number of rooms the compilation will be.