Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

I'm a Feminist. Are you?

I could be more eloquent if I had more time, but I'm at work. Simply put, I believe that women are equal to men and differ with them only in degree but not value. I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the forums talking about Feminism.

I agree with your statement. Whether that equates to being a feminist, I'm not sure. That term has a lot of "baggage".

When comparing the two genders though, what exactly does "equality" mean? One acknowledges that there are differences, and you can't really demonstrate that these identically cancel each other out in some mathematical sense. However, I don't see how you could legitimately use these differences to support a claim that one gender is in some way superior to the other overall. And certainly it is bad for society generally if such claims are made, or have any support in law or customs.

Ali: A lot of boys me know is trying to get their girlfriends into feminism, do you that is right?

Sue: Yes, I do actually I think it's a good thing.

Ali: Do you think all girls should try feminism at least once?

Sue: Well girls today often don't realise how much they've benefited from feminism...

Ali: But do you think it is right when they try feminism when they is drunk at a party or whatever with a few mates?

Sue: What does 'trying feminism' mean?

Ali: You know, try a bit of feminism and when they is sober the next day they get back together with their boyfriends?

The problem, as Grazza put it, is "feminism" comes with a lot of baggage. Also, for many "feminists", feminism = man hating/ female superiority which makes them no better than a male chauvanist.

Enjay said:

The problem, as Grazza put it, is "feminism" comes with a lot of baggage. Also, for many "feminists", feminism = man hating/ female superiority which makes them no better than a male chauvanist.

The other problem, and this is no personal criticism of you Enjay, is that Feminism carries a negative connotation. Feminists are thought of as man-haters or lesbians, or rough, dirty women. And some are. However, you can find some women who are just that without being Feminists. Beliefs of that negative nature are circulated to discourage women from accepting/embracing Feminist ideology or becoming Feminists at all.

Heh, I really don't believe there are differences between men and women. I mean, obviously there are physiological differences, but mentally, I think men and women are the same. But sure, there are stereotypes for "male" vs. "female" thinking, but then again, I still believe that these are simply societal constructs with no real basis. If there were some biological basis for men and women thinking and acting differently, then every culture would have the same gender roles, and that isn't the case. I am not going to use the "F" word, because of the previously stated negative connotation, but yeah, I believe that men and women are equal, and I wish that the world would get over it and accept this. Lately, I've been hearing a lot of stereotypes, and it's driving me nuts. "Oh, of course you think that, because you're a guy," or the catch-all, "Women..." Seriously, this crap is absurd, and I'm frankly tired of it. I refuse to be defined by my gender, nor will I stand for others being defined by their gender.

I'm sort of a half-feminist. Although I can do certain things better than most women, they do have a sort of emotional superiority over us. They usually get the best of us.

Women are indeed better at certain things, such as nagging. Nag nag nag.
Men are better at certain things, such as sitting on our asses all Saturday morning watching the idiot box.

i treat everyone the same, and expect the same out of any person.
its funny that the number of women that bitch about equal right but when you treat them the same as anyone else they bitch "that's a man's job, i dont want to do it."

pritch said:

Mighty christ is that a ripoff of Maddox. And Maddox is funnier.

http://maddox.xmission.com

I actually am 100% FOR feminism. To start, I am going to take off my shirt. All women, follow suit and be equal! Live the Dunbar way of living! Bwahahaha!

Seriously folks, I beleive that all men and women should be equal unless they ask not to be.

i'm a feminist by the technical definition (equal freedoms for men and women). but nowadays being a feminist means something else entirely. they try to force 'fairness ' in where it doesn't make sense (like Title IX), while conveniently ignoring issues that do involve freedom (such as the possibility of being drafted). i'm for equal freedom but not equal privledges; women should be able to do whatever men can, but i disagree with the idea of adding inequalities in order to fix an inequality, which is the main feminist objective at this point.

Fredrik said:

He does have a good point though, as far as genders with objects go.

Mailman, fireman, founding fathers. Ooh, it's offensive. Who gives a crap? I certainly don't. That's just women trying to find something to argue about. The gender of a word shouldn't matter.

I think it's funny that women DO argue about this, because English is one of the languages where you CAN argue about it. You think these people could exist in Mexico? Germany? France? Those languages are ENTIRELY based around gender; good luck trying to get it to change.

But those languages have grammatical gender which is completely different :P If I remember my German correctly there are two (or more) forms of nouns. So English fireman would translate to fireman (feminine) and fireman (male) depending on who you're talking about.

Whilst I'm definately no advocate of 'man-hating' feminists, from a purely linguistic stancepoint that feminazi page is a bit off. Take their paragraph 2. 'Chicks' may be slightly derogatory to some people, but their male counter-examples certainly aren't. 'Buster', 'pal' and 'buddy' aren't derogatory at all, whilst 'stud' and 'hunk' are the exact opposite, implying some sort of positive connotation of sexual prowess. It's hard to find corresponding female terms which don't carry negative connotations, i.e. slut, whore, tart. I can't think of a positive female equivalent.

Yes, I am very much a feminist and proud of it. Also, i believe todays society has fallen back into male-dominated crap. Women are still basicaly sex objects, they still make less money than men on average, and gender stereotyping is more rampant than ever (and it really pisses me off). Fortunately, most of this (except maybe the job thing) is just societal psychological damage. A woman with a good head on her shoulders can probably overcome it with a little perserverance. But then there is still that whole Equal Rights Amendment thing. Why the fuck hasn't it been passed? And don't tell me it isn't neccesary, because it is.

Still, I dont really care about those 'mankind', 'fireman', etc things. Its just common vernacular. Of course, I'm not one to be offended by words. If someone calls me a kraut or a cracker or a fatass or something, I don't care. It's usualy true. :P

Huh? Obviously men are superior. If god didn't intend man to be superior, he wouldn't have made them bigger than women. Men hold almost all of the power in this world because that's god will. If women were in power, who would keep law and order? You would have people running around killing each other, infinite money for every person on Earth, and probably even laws against adultery!

Most importantly, the Bible says men are superior. Do you all not know the phrase "and thusly Jim poundeth the the stake of divinity into Liz, and the heavens did did parteth, and great beams of glory did penetrateth the groundeth, and so all was welleth"...? Indisputable evidence that men are superior! I swear, if we lose our moral foundation, we lose everything!

the_Danarchist said:

Women are still basicaly sex objects, they still make less money than men on average, and gender stereotyping is more rampant than ever (and it really pisses me off).

I think that fucking bullshit "rap culture" is almost entirely responsible for making it wide scale again. The pitiful thing is alot of the females go along with it.