Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

New Runes?

I was playing with the SkullTag runes the other day and got to thinking about some ideas. Right now there are 4 offensive runes, 4 defensive runes, and 2 "special" runes. I started thinking of new ideas for runes that might be cool in SkullTag.

However, I remembered that the runes had a sort of order, so if you added an offensive rune you'd need an accompanying defensive rune so there's just as many offensive as defensive; possibly even one that directly counters the other (strength/resistance).

I had a few ideas for runes (names pending). They sort of match, and are numbered to show which ones counter the other...

Offensive:
1) Ammo Regeneration
2) Pierce (if the target has armor, it reduces the armor by 5x what it normally would)
3) Homing
4) Poison (target loses a small portion of health for a few seconds after being shot; stops damaging if health is too low (can't die from poison))
5) Speed (projectiles are twice as fast)

Defensive:
1) Armor Regeneration
2) Armor Prosperity (if you have 100 armor and find another green armor, you go to 200!)
3) Stealth (slightly lowered alpha, not as much as blur/invisibility sphere)
4 or 5) Evasion (10% chance of taking no damage from each successful hit (useful against powerful weapons))

Special:
1) Persistance (powerups last twice as long when picked up)
2) Immunity (can't be hurt by damaging sectors (up to 10 damage) and can stay underwater twice as long)

So anyone have any cool ideas?

Some of these rune ideas sound really good, but I wonder how many total runes there should actually be. Some of the existing ones also sort of do what some of these do. I dunno, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

Espi said:

:<

omg teh finnish frown

i already don't know what barely any of the runes do so i really don't see the need to toss in even more right now. although a way to script in new runes via decorate would be nice.

sargebaldy said:

i already don't know what barely any of the runes do so i really don't see the need to toss in even more right now. although a way to script in new runes via decorate would be nice.

Well you don't really play SkullTag. =P

Offensive:
Strenth - x2 damage
Rage - Firing frames halved (twice as fast when firing)
Spread - Shoot three blasts instead of one
Drain - Drain health from anyone you attack

Defensive:
Prosperity - Pick up all health items to 200%
Regeneration - Gain 5 health every second
Resistance - All damage is halved
Reflection - Half damage done to you is given to attacker

Special:
High Jump
Haste - 125% speed

And scriptable runes would be really really difficult, I imagine.

Mancubus II said:

Some of the existing ones also sort of do what some of these do.

Yeah, a lot of these are sort of like existing ones, but the existing ones have similarities too. Spread is kind of like strength in that it can double (or triple) your damage, but there's also the chance that you won't always hit with all three. Regeneration is like Resistance in that you'll be harder to kill, but regeneration helps more if you manage to get away to a corner.

I don't know about the others, but I think Pierce, Poison, Speed, Stealth, and Persistance would be cool additions.

Those ideas are all pretty good. I don't really plan to add any more runes, but I like the concepts for those.

I don't really see how runes could be added externally, because the logical rules for the runes need to really be in the code, and can't be specified externally.

Can projectiles at all by sped up as suggested? I remember one of the biggest roadblocks to what I tried doing in doom2 (and maybe even zdoom) was that anything moving too fast would clip through walls, or their intended target. I was a dehacked slut and I wanted to do things like making guns fire bullets, not just do instant damage to anything in its path, however somewhere around twice the speed of a plasma bolt things started clipping.

ZDoom has checks more often, so fireballs won't go through walls anymore like they would in Doom(2).exe. In fact, rockets have a speed of 20. Some of the Hexen weapons have a speed of 200, so it can handle fast speeds, and now even removes the "curving to the side" bug that a lot of ports have with fast projectiles.

Carnevil said:

Those ideas are all pretty good. I don't really plan to add any more runes, but I like the concepts for those.

I don't really see how runes could be added externally, because the logical rules for the runes need to really be in the code, and can't be specified externally.

Carn is right.

Great Nanami. Your ideas are good.

Carnevil, make them!